PDA

View Full Version : Cataract surgery

woodbutcher
10-08-2017, 01:05 PM
:grin: Well,so far so good.Had the surgery on the 5th at 8:30 am.was home by 11:30 am.
Distance vision is really coming along very good.Can almost read a license tag across the street again.That`s about 50 to 60 feet.Need readers for computer viewing and reading.Helped with "Girl Watching"activities too[smilie=1:.
Talk about a restricted area to work in.The incision was a whole 3mm to work with.Great Dr.Dr Luttrell in Oak Ridge Tn.Have to use 4 different eye drops every day till further notice.Thank goodness,for insurance.If none,three of them would have been $600.00 bucks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

codgerville@zianet.com
10-08-2017, 01:45 PM
:grin: Well,so far so good.Had the surgery on the 5th at 8:30 am.was home by 11:30 am.
Distance vision is really coming along very good.Can almost read a license tag across the street again.That`s about 50 to 60 feet.Need readers for computer viewing and reading.Helped with "Girl Watching"activities too[smilie=1:.
Talk about a restricted area to work in.The incision was a whole 3mm to work with.Great Dr.Dr Luttrell in Oak Ridge Tn.Have to use 4 different eye drops every day till further notice.Thank goodness,for insurance.If none,three of them would have been $600.00 bucks.
Leo

GOOD! Had the left eye done about four years ago, right eye is scheduled for January. Took my open sighted 336 out a few days ago, set up a target at about 40 yards, took aim and couldn't see the bullseye. Time to get it fixed.

texasnative46
10-08-2017, 06:59 PM
codgerville,

BEST WISHES to you in January '18.
(I have cataracts in both eyes but have been told that they don't need surgery, YET.)

"Old age ain't for sissies."

yours, tex

Hick
10-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Had both my eyes done several years ago. My lenses are set for distance focus, which means reading glasses for close stuff.

Here's a tip for shooting with open sights-- Small peep apertures help close-in focus without you needing glasses. After I got my new eyes I could see the target great, but the bead on the muzzle was out of focus. I switched my receiver sights to a peep and found that the smaller the peep the better the front bead focused-- and it didn't hurt the long range clarity. I use an 0.078 peep for low light and 0.050 for bright light.

Kraschenbirn
10-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Should continue to improve with healing. Had both eyes done five or six years ago; after about three months and an upgraded prescription for my glasses, was back to 20/20-20/25.

Good advice on the sights, too. I, initially, switched to a Hadley eyecup on my .38-55 Highwall and it worked so well for me that I now have one on both my .45-70s, as well.

Bill

buckwheatpaul
10-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Leo, I had mine done 5+ years ago....back into bifocals only because one eye is stronger than the other....the colors are great and vivid and I dont need glasses to use binoculars and scopes....best thing I ever did.....just do the routine prescribed and you will be amazed how great it will become.....Paul

lightman
10-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Hope they continue to improve.

OS OK
10-08-2017, 09:06 PM
That's good news I'm hearing from all of ya...I'm in for pre-op on the 24'th and surgery on the 30'th for the right eye...left will be in two weeks after that if all heals well.

I'm as nervous as a dog spitting peach seeds!
Getting old ain't for the faint of heart. You won't find any 'old wussies' sitting on the bench in front of the general store around here.

dbosman
10-08-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm looking forward to cataract surgery, just for the improvement. At present even with glasses I can't see a paper plate target, at 100 yards.

OS OK
10-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Are you kidding...the other day a Bigfoot snuk up on me in the middle of the East pasture! Thought it was a steer standing on it's hind legs!
Can't wait to see good again, this Dr. is doing some kind of lenses that will let me not wear contacts anymore...whatta relief! Ever try to put a contact in your eye with bear paws for hands!?

texasnative46
10-08-2017, 11:24 PM
OS OK,

BEST WISHES on your surgery.

yours, tex

OS OK
10-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Thanks Tex...my best wishes to all waiting on the surgeon and all that's healing too.

pjames32
10-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Finally got mine scheduled too. Can't shoot a pistol worth a hoot anymore. pre-op 10/23, right eye 10/30 nd left (dominant) 11/20. Have to pull a camper to PHX for NASCAR in between which might be a trick. I'm past ready!

farmerjim
10-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Had rt eye last year, 20/20 in that eye. Left eye last month, had 1 month follow up about an hour ago. 20/ 30 in left eye as intended. I see distance with the right eye, and read close with the left. The brain selects the clear image and rejects the blurry. No need for glasses at all. I will get a cheep pair of glasses to improve night driving vision. Not everybody can do this. They can give you one contact lens to test if you can.
Good luck on your surgery. You will love your new vision with bright colors.

woodbutcher
10-09-2017, 01:36 PM
:grin: Hi all.Thanks for the replies and good wishes.Won`t need the right eye done,as it has been non functioning since I was 16.Best wishes to all who are waiting for their surgery.
Leo

David2011
10-09-2017, 02:17 PM
SWMBO had both eyes done earlier this year. No complications and life changing for the better.

dagger dog
10-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Had both eyes done six weeks apart 5 years ago, blood vessel to the retina ruptured on my dominate eye before the 6 week follow up , and had to have shots injected through the eyeball, wound up with very distorted vision in the right eye. I still have enough vision to use a scope or red dot, depending on the light I can use steel sights on some guns. While being fitted for new glasses, was told I have secondary cataracts , a build up of calcium material on the eye that can be removed with a laser, not bad enough now to remove yet.

jbutts6785
10-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Had both of mine done 4 years ago. Everything went well, and it really did help my shooting with iron sights.