PDA

View Full Version : Just smelted my first pewter score.

GhostHawk
10-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Wife came home from the second hand store with 11 pieces of pewter.
7 tall wine cups and 4 short cups. All hallmarked pewter, she paid 1$ per piece, total haul was 5 lbs 1 oz.

This morning I cleaned my backup lee dipper pot, gave it a little steel wool after the big chunks were knocked off. Set it up, melted a little bit of lino ingot for getting it started.

Wine cups were too big both top and bottom so I used a pair of pliers and bent 2 sides of the bottom down, then the other 2 up. Then they would sit in the pot and melt. Tops I learned to melt as far down as I could. Then pull it out with a pair of pliers, and step it flat. Then it slide right in.

I had a nice lightly rust spotted muffin tin so I lightly wd-40'd it and cast "coins".

Call me one happy camper!

lightman
10-08-2017, 01:03 PM
She did good! Nice Score!

10 ga
10-08-2017, 01:39 PM
She did good! Nice Score!
X2

Information incomplete, what ya castin boolits for, or are ya just one of them hoarders? LOL,
Congratulations. Aint it fun. 10

Grmps
10-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Great score for the money.

Some of the guys are casting the pewter into different sized boolits to make adding required amounts to the mix easier.

GhostHawk
10-08-2017, 09:01 PM
I cast for a wide range, the pewter will most likely end up in .30 cal like 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, or .30-30. But it could wind up in a lot of different stuff.

I have some 60/40 lead/tin cast up in 310 grain .430 bullets for sweetening the pot.
But these "coins" will do just fine.

Have to say, ya got to love Pewter when you can find it for the right price.

OS OK
10-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Yesterday, I just did 10# of 63/37 solder in 200 & 405 grain pills for sweetening the pot. They sure come out looking like they been to the chrome shop.
The way I figger it...the 200's are .28 oz. & the 405's are .58 oz., weight content of Sn, that oughta make it simple to add the correct percentage in weight as a sweetener...huh?

(200g. X 63% Sn content) X .00229 to convert to oz = .28 oz. of Sn....perty dang good for a Texican huh?

RogerDat
10-17-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm one of those ones that does "coins" in mini cupcake or cupcake tins.I eventually found a mold from a vendor named theburpyfrog on eBay that is for duck decoy weights that makes little bars with a "P" in them, I think it is a copy of an older Potter co. mold but I see he is selling his mold making equipment and no more molds.

These duck decoy molds look like they would work well and be distinctive. https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Strap-Decoy-Anchor-Mold-P331.aspx Or this http://www.knutsondecoys.com/rigging/molds.html At $20 I could see those as a good choice too. Cut off a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch so you can get its weight, then on you can measure and cut to get weight you need.

Don1357
10-21-2017, 01:42 PM
A recent score of mine was a very large and banged up ornate coffee warmer clearly marked "Copper over pewter", which is usually not good. I kept looking at the ornamentation and it certainly looked too well defined for copper, so I took at $15 gamble and took it home. The lid, main chamber body and heater pot was indeed copper, the ornamentation , handles, and legs yielded 4.5# of pewter. In the past I have found pieces not marked as pewter that were so.