PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cast Bullet Loads

Fireball 57
11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
I don't get out much; only to carry the groceries in the house AND to the range. I am going to turn over a new leaf and shoot my cast boo-lets this winter. What lube consistancy, lead hardness, load tweaking is necessary with the temperature go'in South? :coffee:

Buckshot
11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
...........I believe most concern over tempurature extremes on powder burning characteristics has to do with larger charges of rifle powders. These are more heavily detered then easily ignited and fast pistol powders.

Since you're in the UP I'd think winter temps could turn most any lube into a hard brittle solid :D. Just look what it does to water, HA! Living in So. Calif the thought is in the other direction, but I don't spend any time on it.

Rather then making a big change, which can be a messy hassle in swapping lubes in your lube-sizer, I'd just use whatever you normally use. Once loaded, place it into one of those inexpensive 6 pack sized ice chests, sans ice. With it in the house it should remain at a sane tempurature for some time outdoors at the range.

If more heat is needed, fill a couple plastic designer water bottles with hot or warm water and put these in the ice chest with the ammo. Or a Jonee handwarmer, or a hot brick :D?

...............Buckshot

David R
11-18-2005, 08:38 AM
My son and I were shooting outside last night in the blowing snow. Just off hand target shooting at 100 yards. The cold is enough to throw me off more than the wrong lube. If it were bench rest at 0* F, I would worry, otherwise, I don't think much about it.

Like my dad once said "Its hot and greasy so what do you have to worry about?"

When shooting the winter silly wet match, I keep my 22s in my pants pocket. It probably takes only a few seconds for the cold chamber of the gun to suck the heat out of them anyhow.

David

NuJudge
11-18-2005, 10:16 PM
I've shot .303's and .30-'06's during the winter, and Wheelweight Lee bullets of about 180 grains, dropped from the mold in to water, lubed with 50/50 NRA formula, with a Hornady Gas Check, has done fine. I try to have bullets be about .002" over groove diameter, and seated the bullet in the case such that the bullet was heavily engraved in the rifling on chambering. I've used 2400, 4759, 4895, and did a little work with WWII surplus 4831 (it left this yucky black tar-like fouling). Bullets were 'lubed' in a Lyman 'sizer' die that was .002" too large, such that the die did not work the Lead (Lead alloys are supposed to 'work soften', not 'work harden'). I remember a slight lead wash in the barrel, but nothing more in the way of leading.

This all presupposes a smooth barrel.

CDD

Fireball 57
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, Mavens, I plan to get my feet wet, aahh, snowed and shoot 'em as soon as the spirit can get me goin'. In Michigan, actually on the beach of Lake Michigan, temperatures can get to 60 below windchill. Thanks for the great suggestions! I have both a Lyman and RCBS lubers but, cookie cutter the lube and size minimally. I've mixed a lite peanut butter BOOB lube concoction as I suspect too hard lubes may fail causing excessive leading. The six pack ICE chest is a great idea, Buchshot! I generally carry 'em in boxes in a plastic pail. Now if only I can see my target through the blizzard-OHHH that was snowball that hit my target bull!!! :lovebooli

Fireball 57
11-18-2005, 11:07 PM
NuJudge; Thanks for stepping in here!! Your info is of noteworthy praise. I hope my PB boolits don't harden in the cold temperatures. My rifle isn't used to the hard stuff. Thanks :coffeecom