PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret Press Setup

TXCOONDOG
10-07-2017, 09:57 AM
I’m considering buying a four hole Lee Classic turret Press for reloading 9mm, .40, 10mm, 38 special and .357 mag.

Need some suggestions on the best setup such as:

Priming system
Powder measure
Do I need a riser ?

PS: Other recommendations welcome!

Silverboolit
10-07-2017, 10:09 AM
I have the turret and load most of my ammo on it. Pistol and rifle, doesn't matter. I use the autodrum measure without a riser all the time. The Auto Drum seems like a perfect match for the turret. You may need the riser if the primer tray hits on the powder measure.

If you lget the turret, be sure to get a few of the plastic drive bushings for the operating rod, as they do wear aand need replacing now and again. Extra turret plates for each caliber is nice to have. Set dies once and they should be good to go.

DerekP Houston
10-07-2017, 10:24 AM
If you buy the "kit" it comes with the lee auto disk and the safety prime setup. If you buy them separate you will need to buy those 2 pieces. When using the safety prime attachment for the turret a riser is needed so the drum doesn't hit the primer tray on each rotation. I 2nd the recommendation for getting a few of the extra plastic bushings.

I'd just buy the basic press, and get the safety prime and the powder measure. You will also want a decent scale, the one in the kit is really finicky I went with a digital hornady scale.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-powder-measure.html

https://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html

Short stroking the press is what damaged mine the fastest, I swap them out every 6-12 months depending on wear. At 50c each its cheap investment to keep the indexing tight.

Dale53
10-07-2017, 10:27 AM
The Lee Classic Turret press is a dandy. I have two Dillon 550B's that I dearly LOVE but use my Lee Classic Turret press when I want to load just a few. If you have extra turrets (which is the only way to go IMO), once your dies are set up takes only a couple of minutes to change calibers. It's also a really good way to get started in reloading for a reasonable price. If you don't shoot a lot, it may be all you ever need. You can load 150-200 an hour of most calibers, and if you are careful, they can be match quality.

FWIW
Dale53

TXCOONDOG
10-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I’ve been reloading on a single stage press for precision rifle. However, I prefer a little faster method for my pistol calibers and shoot 100-200 rounds a week so it’s hard to justify a progressive press.

I understand that the turret press takes the same amount of handle pulls to complete a round (as a single stage) but thinking it would be faster with priming, powder drop, etc on a turret press with auto indexing.

All my shell holders are Hornady and I’m not sure if I need to buy the Lee shell holder kit?

DerekP Houston
10-07-2017, 11:00 AM
It is quite a bit faster and the benefit of a completed round each 4 pulls. I like it because I can finish the round I'm working on and set it away in case I get called away. less chance of missing a charge or double charging. The Auto powder drop is nice once you get a load dialed in on the proper disk. They typically run on the light side so it takes a bit of estimating before you'll find the right cc comparison. You can always drill it out slightly larger or use epoxy to make it smaller as needed. The disks are pretty cheap to replace as needed.

farmerjim
10-07-2017, 11:03 AM
I prime off the press because I find it faster. Also when loading cast I put a Lyman M die in the first position followed by the auto drum for powder then seating die and the crimp die. The riser is not needed for most pistol calibers. If you want to speed it up by about 30%, get a reverse rotation case ejector system from inline fabrication.
As silverboolit said get about 5 extra of the square drive bushings. They do go out. They are only $0.50 each, but shipping will be about another $5.
Have fun with it, I have loaded 10's of thousands with mine. .380 up to 308 and 45-70.

str8wal
10-07-2017, 11:35 AM
I’m considering buying a four hole Lee Classic turret Press for reloading 9mm, .40, 10mm, 38 special and .357 mag.

Priming system
Powder measure
Do I need a riser ?

Priming system On the press
Powder measure Lyman 55
Do I need a riser ? Not IMHO

I removed the indexing rod on mine and use it as a single stage. It is simple and I don't think I lose much time to self-indexing. I just like the Lee turret for the convenience of keeping the dies set up in their own turret for quick changes.

mdi
10-07-2017, 12:34 PM
How much experience do you have reloading? If none/very little, get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. it will show how to reload and the equipment you'll need. I did not want my turret press to be a "semi-progressive" and I prme and charge off press. For starters there's nothing wrong with a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I started using one in '75 and still keep one handy as with some powders it is more consistent then my $$$ C-H powder measure. I'm not a fan of hand priming tools so for many years I've used a ram prime (I just found an empty hole in a turret and used it there). I'm in no hurry (if I needed 500 rounds right now, I'd get a Dillon) so my K.I.S.S. batch reloading suits me fine and I can easily crank out 60-80 rounds a session (one to two hours). I have waaaaay more time to reload than I have to shoot, so I'm doing just fine...

Mr. Don
10-07-2017, 04:53 PM
I prime by hand on press. I bought an adapter so I could use my Uniflow. I love this press.

https://gun-guides.com/UNIVERSAL-Perfect-Powder-Measure-Adapter%E2%84%A2-for-Handguns-by-Gun-Guides%C2%AE-p83298045

sparkyv
10-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Priming system
Powder measure
Do I need a riser ?

I use Lee Safety Prime system on the press for pistol loads. It is OK but drops a primer from time to time. It is definately faster for me vs. priming off the press.

Lee Pro Auto Disk measure is awesome. Weighs out charges accurately and repeatably as verified on a beam scale. Setup can be cumbersome because you have to change out the volumetric disks, but keeps on going charge after charge once set up.

Riser will be needed when using these two devices together.

I recommend a 4 hole turret per set of dies, which will make swapping calibers an easy operation. I've loaded over 5000 rounds and not (yet) had to replace the polymer bushing; I suggest keeping moving parts well lubricated.

One more recommendation: a little light source positioned to light up the top of the case so you can visually verify the charge. Simple but important upgrade to my system.

YMMV

bstone5
10-08-2017, 01:55 AM
Have one and use it all the time. Do not put powder in the case with the press. Use a Niel Jones powder measure for putting powder in the cases. After powder installation the bullets are seated and crimped on the Lee press. Got the press for free from a lottery at a local lottery at a country fire station. A primer will fall on the floor from time to time with the Lee primer handling system.
Put a square pieces of old carpet on the floor underth the press to catch the loose primers.

rondog
10-08-2017, 04:23 AM
I too use a LCT, but I'm one that despises the on-press Safety Prime contraption. It gave me nothing but hell, so I pre-prime my cases. Sometimes I use a hand primer (until the arthritis is screaming), sometimes other ways.

Other than that, I love my LCT and really have no desire for anything else. I already have more ammo than I'll ever shoot up, I don't really need a higher production machine. But yes, get a turret for each set of dies and leave them set up. I also have turrets for a Universal depriming die, bullet sizing dies, bullet pullers, powder measures, and other things.

DON'T turn the turret by hand, unless the ram is near the top of the stroke (handle down)! That will quickly ruin that square black plastic ratchet thing. I believe it's supposed to fail, as a safety device of some kind. As long as you don't do that, it'll last a long time trouble-free. But call Lee and buy some extras anyway.

Ole Joe Clarke
10-08-2017, 11:05 AM
I have the LCT and it does a good job. I prime off press, so I gave the safety prime contraption away. All standard shell holders will fit, and the spent primer chute works good, except for a few that escape and hit the floor. I received the square bushing and the holder free from the Lee website. I can't remember if I had to pay postage or not. I also bought the reverse rotation, clockwise, shaft from inline, works good. A good light helps, but you gotta be careful not to double charge the powder.

Get a good reloading book first. I recommend the Lyman 49th or 50th edition.
Above all be safe.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Buzz64
10-08-2017, 11:40 AM
I've used it successfully for 9 different cartridges - have separate turrets for each and as said above it is a 'quick' change. Never had a problem with the Lee auto disk and the safety prime setup. The auto disk has it's limitations of specific powder weights and usually throws about a tenth of a grain light so be aware of that. If you want to get the EXACT weight of some powder the disks aren't drilled for you can use this https://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html ALWAYS us a scale to verify. You need a riser to clear the onboard priming system but just a cost of doing business. The priming system works fine if you watch where you press it in on the down stroke - once you get the idea you very seldom drop a primer.

The Governor
10-08-2017, 12:09 PM
https://inlinefabrication.com/search?q=lee+classic+turret+press

I have mine on a Harbor Freight grinder stand with ergo handle and auto eject. And the powder drop riser.

With a .38 three die set on a 4 hole turret I can crank out 4 - 5 .38s on a minuet. The forth pull being eject.

wdfwguy
10-08-2017, 01:02 PM
I'm just about to buy this same press and trying to decide on just the press or if the kit makes more sense

PS Paul
10-08-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm just about to buy this same press and trying to decide on just the press or if the kit makes more sense

Get the kit. You can always sell the extras. The powder measure and priming system are quite good. Like ANY press/system, one needs to make minor adjustments to make them work correctly. Spring for the extra riser as well. It helps.

I manually index and have removed the indexing rod, so I never have the broken plastic piece. Works nearly as fast with zero worries. The auto disk powder measure has limitations, but I own three other measures for other duties. For most revolver, pistol and light rifle cases, the disk system is terrific. I really like it and it's consistent.

tranders
10-08-2017, 04:03 PM
I have the LCT and use the standard auto disk with riser. I prime on the press,but single load primers by hand. I found the Auto Prime to be garbage.
I do like how the spent primers are captured in a tube at the bottom of the ram.
Overall a decent press for the money.

dikman
10-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Once I got the hang of it I found the priming attachment great, much better than fumbling with primers with fat fingers!! Yes, it drops the occasional primer but it's always due to me, not the device.

Drew P
10-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I suggest a little device made by a member here sold on eBay called the "sleazyject" it's an auto case ejector made for classic cast SS and turret presses

FlyfishermanMike
10-08-2017, 06:37 PM
I have and use mine all the time. I prime on the press. Once carefully setup and tightened down I don't have any issues with the safety prime. I use the Auto disk with riser to clear the safety prime. I've considered moving to the new auto drum with infinite adjustment but haven't yet. If I'm loading near the top or rifle I use my RCBS chargemaster.

Lee's parts are free. You just pay shipping which gets higher the more parts you buy. I bought a bunch of those square ratchets as backups and of course have never needed them!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bookworm
10-08-2017, 08:08 PM
I've been using my LCT for almost a year.
I use the Safety Prime on press; after carefully re-reading the instructions, and adjusting the primer feed, I find it works well. When I don't get in a hurry with the primer trigger mechanism, that is.

I use the Auto Drum powder measure, preferring the infinite adjustments over their Auto Disc. I do use the riser, to get the measure over the primer tray.
I have turret plates for all my dies.

I like the press a lot, and would recommend it unreservedly.

TXCOONDOG
10-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Thanks all.

jetinteriorguy
10-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Two suggestions to make life easy. Deprime and prime off the press, and get the auto drum powder measure with plenty of extra rotors. This is the setup I use for pistol, first station size the primed case without the decapping pin in the sizing die. Second station powder drop with the auto drum. Third station seat bullet and fourth station crimp. For rifle I do all case prep off the press and just drop powder, seat bullet, and crimp, leaving the fourth station empty. The reason I deprime off the press is to check for any crimped primers, and to make sure old primers come completely out since I had a couple .38 cases where there was some kind of a weird primer in that left a ring of some sort still in place, causing the primers to ignite when seating the new primers. And when trying to seat primers in cases with crimped primer pockets the new primers just get mangled.

RGMJ
10-09-2017, 10:24 PM
I have this dandy unit. Very good loader. If you load only 500 a week this thing is more than adequate.

Plus the auto-index is a nice feature not found in other more expensive turret presses. I use mine for pistol - 38 spl, 357 mag, 40 SW, 10mm, 44 mag, 44 special, 45 acp, 500 SW and also .223 Rem. Love this press and want to get another one for my son.

Kudos to Lee for the finest turret press in the market !!

TXCOONDOG
10-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Someone ended up giving (free) me an older four hole value turret press. The reason I think it may be older is because the small and large priming cups are mounted on the same device in the shape of a T.

The guy that had it, bought it used and knew nothing about it.

Not that it really matters, just curious if anyone can tell me anything about it?

kmw1954
10-14-2017, 11:57 AM
I can't recall if the early 4 hole press used that primer tool, I thought only the 3 hole press used it. The difference is in the ram. It could be one that someone performed a conversion on and didn't change the ram. The new ram should have a pin in the slot to hold the primer arm.

One way to tell the age of the press in the pins on the side of the base. The old ones used roll pins while the newer ones had threaded pins with a bolt head.

TXCOONDOG
10-15-2017, 07:54 AM
I can't recall if the early 4 hole press used that primer tool, I thought only the 3 hole press used it. The difference is in the ram. It could be one that someone performed a conversion on and didn't change the ram. The new ram should have a pin in the slot to hold the primer arm.

One way to tell the age of the press in the pins on the side of the base. The old ones used roll pins while the newer ones had threaded pins with a bolt head.

It has the roll pins so you are more than likely correct that it was a three hole and has been upgraded to a four hole turret and the ram was never changed.

Thanks

TXCOONDOG
10-15-2017, 08:14 AM
I ordered and received the Lee auto drum powder measure and I’m waiting on the 9mm Lee powder through expanding die to arrive.

Do I assemble them (PM and die) as a unit and then install and adjust the flare for the case or do I setup the die to flare the case and then install powder measure ?

I’m sure it will become clear once I recieve all components, but just trying to get ahead of the learning curve.

kmw1954
10-15-2017, 08:35 AM
The Auto Drum has a thumb nut that will allow you to seat the die first. I also use mine w/o any riser in-between.

farmerjim
10-15-2017, 09:59 AM
"I ordered and received the Lee auto drum powder measure and I’m waiting on the 9mm Lee powder through expanding die to arrive."

I never could get the 9mm lee powder through expanding die to work on the auto drum. It either did not flair the case, or flared it too big. It worked great with the auto disk, but does not have the infinite range adjustment. I used a Lyman M die in the first hole and cut the 9mm powder through die down so that it would not flair the case. The problem is the return spring on the auto drum is strong enough to flair the case before the powder is dropped. I like the auto drum it is reliably consistent with most powders. You can also use the NOE expander plugs.

TXCOONDOG
10-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Is the pro version of the auto disk any good ?

tazman
10-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Yes, it is excellent. It is what I use on my Classic cast setups.

DerekP Houston
10-16-2017, 02:14 PM

It is excellent. I set my die up first with the powder thru piece on, once the flare is adjust how I want I unscrew the powder thru and replace with my powder measure.

kmw1954
10-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Honestly, I have 2 regular Auto Disk measures that I use and I have to say this about them. They are not as versatile as the Auto drum because one is using fixed cavities in the disks. But after a little love and care to the measure body I get almost zero leakage with either one even with very fine powder like Ramshot Silhouette. The biggest drawback I find is also with the powder hopper and the way they are affixed. Eventually the screw holes crack out.

I have thought about buying the upgrade kit which would solve the hopper issue but I'm cheap and can't quiet bring myself to spend as much for an upgrade kit as I did for the measure. Next I will be looking for extra A and B disks that I can drill out to fill in the in-between sizes for the pistol calibers that I load.

I believe that for the money they are the best value in powder measures for loading pistols and I do have an Auto drum I just don't like it as much because no matter what I do to it, it leaks fine powders.

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Yes, it's the better of the two by a large margin. While the disks are fixed they seem to drop the right amount for an accurate load w/ pistols. I have a bunch of blank disks but so far I've only drilled one hole in one of them. But it's for a hunting load so it makes it easy to get a bunch of rounds loaded up.

TXCOONDOG
10-20-2017, 07:25 PM
I got everything setup for the 10mm using Longshot powder. The auto drum is working great thus far.

I sure wish that I would’ve tried the Lee turret years ago!

Bookworm
10-20-2017, 08:24 PM

This is the exact thought I had, after finally setting up my Lee turret this past spring.

kmw1954
10-20-2017, 08:49 PM
I got everything setup for the 10mm using Longshot powder. The auto drum is working great thus far.

I'm glad to hear you have it set and it's working well for you. I'm going to keep mine also.

HeavyMetal
10-29-2017, 01:43 PM
I also have a Lee Classic cast turret and have ben impressed with it, more so than the Pro 1000 as it has only three die turrets and require a separate operation to do any real crimping.

I've also moved to priming of press these days, as brass has gotten weird in some calibers, like to catch the moron that thought small pistol primers in the 45 ACP case was good idea.

because of this, and doing SS Pin wet tumbling I am now inspecting cases for both primer size and, in the case of the 9mm, small inserts in some cases designed to increase strength, these might play hob with pressure so they get culled during priming.

My Pro 1000 usually does nothing but deprime brass, which it does and does well, with a Lee universal decapping die in it.

Progressive loading is done on a CH Auto Champion Mark IV or V and with four dies station the Lee FCD die makes sure I do not have to crimp in a separate operation.

HM

sawinredneck
10-29-2017, 03:56 PM
I also have a classic cast and even after getting a Dillon 550, I still can’t get myself to let it go! It’s just too handy for small batch work. The Dillon sucks for trying to load 10-20 rounds to test!
I was hesitant on the safety prime after reading about its reputation on this board, but reading, and watching vids it works wonderfully! The biggest trick is to set it up to come in a little from the left rather than straight on. That made all the difference in the world!
I went a completely different route on powder feeding, I already had a Lee perfect powder measure, and I’m one of the few to like it, I got the gun-guides adapter for it. I talked to the owner and he wasn’t sure, so I was a guinea pig for him, but it will, just barely clear the safety prime set up for 9mm. That’s about as short as I’ll ever run that adapter.
So I decap/resize, expand, powder then seat, using all four stations on pistol ammo.
I’ve had another member tell me to get the auto drum and replacement drums, marking them and leaving them setup for different loads. Not a terribly bad or expensive idea.
Anyway, these are great presses, when setup right, and can crank out reasonable amounts of ammo for little money.

TXCOONDOG
10-29-2017, 05:38 PM
That was my thought as well. I bought the extra drums and turrets. I’m loading 9mm and 10mm with no issues. Soon will be setting up 38 and 357 magnum dies too.

dragon813gt
10-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Extra turrets are no good w/ out dies for them [emoji6]
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4422/36458639792_03dd103dd4_o.jpg

I stopped buying extras in lots of five. It just lead to more guns and more cartridges to load for. Now I keep one extra on hand for the rare times I buy a gun chambered in a new cartridge.

sawinredneck
10-29-2017, 10:33 PM
As I use it mainly for short runs of load development, I’ve got to adjust everything anyways, so, this far at least, I’ve resisted the urge for extra turret plates! But I’m still buying them for the 550. It never ends and you NEVER break even!

fabricator21
11-09-2017, 10:46 AM
The kit is the way to go. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on mine

kens
11-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Many responses say that the Lee turret press is good, once you 'get the hang of it'.
Well what about the Dillon? Do you have to 'get the hang of it' also ??

DerekP Houston
11-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Many responses say that the Lee turret press is good, once you 'get the hang of it'.

I would assume any press has a learning curve. Switching to left hand brass right hand bullet or whatnot would take me a few rounds to get comfortable. The safety prime attachment is the slowest part for me.

dragon813gt
11-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Yes, you do. And when referring to the Lee press they're referring to the Safety Prime. Even that isn't hard to use but people give up on it immediately. There is nothing to get the hang of when it comes to the LCT.

There is a lot more to monitor on a Dillon. You do have to get the hang of it. A lot more can go wrong because four or more functions are being performed at once.

sawinredneck
11-09-2017, 08:37 PM
There really isn’t a comparison between the Lee and Dillon. I have both so I can qualify why I say! You want to work up a batch of 20rds to test? Don’t waste your time on the Dillon, by the time you get it adjusted and working right, you’d have 100 cranked out on the turret! I’m not saying either is bad or good and there really isn’t anything one can do that the other can’t, if you are willing to work with the press!
In a nutshell, I have a Redding Boss single stage, the Lee CCT turret press and a Dillon 550b.
Now, I could do everything I need to on any one of these presses, if I was willing to put in the effort. But the SS is for depriming and most rifles, the Lee CCT, just wow! If I could only have one press, this is it! No, it’s not the greatest single stage, and it’s not the greatist progressive. But it sure shows it’s virtues as being capable of doing both as best it can.

Bama
12-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Have one and use it all the time. Do not put powder in the case with the press. Use a Niel Jones powder measure for putting powder in the cases. After powder installation the bullets are seated and crimped on the Lee press. Got the press for free from a lottery at a local lottery at a country fire station. A primer will fall on the floor from time to time with the Lee primer handling system.
Put a square pieces of old carpet on the floor underth the press to catch the loose primers.

You can stop the occasional spent primer on the floor with a piece of 1/8" copper folded in ring with a tab that fits into the primer slot to keep the spent primers from getting out of the ram. the ring stops just short of the bottom of the shell holder. ALSO 308 brass makes a great tool head holder for the four hole tool heads. I drill and tap for a 1/4 20 screw and counter sink a square plank just a little larger than the tool head to store the loaded tool heads. Caliber changes can be done in less than 10 sec.

MyFlatline
12-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Another tool head storage idea

opos
12-05-2017, 09:47 AM
I use the Classic Cast press and the Lee auto drum powder measure and love it....I prime off the press ..but just a personal thing...One suggestion that I stole off You Tube about adding something to the press....where I load, things are not really bright and I found the you tube (shown below) and off to the 99 cent store I went...in the book department or reading light department (don't recall exactly which)...handy as a pocket in a shirt...has made my loading a real pleasure....As to the little square units...I bought some to have handy and I think I may have changed one or two over a lot of loading...and my "forcing" things was the reason....

Here's the little light unit:
https://youtu.be/eN1lQckoD8c

Livin_cincy
01-07-2018, 05:33 PM
I have the LEE Cast Turret press. I just added the In-Line Fabrication reversing rod & case ejector. Most people report that they get 250+ per hour easily with the ILF modification.

The on press primer system works fine. I just found it to be in the way. I also found the odd rhythm of pushing forward to seat a primer odd after doing 3 pulls only. So I deprime & size, clean, inspect, and seat a new primer by hand.

The ability to use it as a single stage is very nice. I have a turret set up with my Size & Decaping dies. So it will not move on me.

With my brass sized & primed prior to cleaning it leaves a station open. I use a Hornady Bullet feeder for 9mm & 380 loading. I just drop a bullet into the top of the die each time. It is faster than seating by hand.

Critics say the turret wobbles so it cannot make good ammunition. By design the Die wobbles on a Forester Coax. The case wobbles by design on the MEC Marksman. Since the LEE Turret is only working on a single case it is the same principle at work. The LEE Press dies are set up in the turret with the wobble and a piece of brass. It is just hard for those that use the other coloured presses to grasp. The other brands do not index automatically so this is also an issue they cannot grasp.

RedlegEd
01-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Hi. While we're talking about Inline Fabrication (https://inlinefabrication.com/), let me recommend his turret holders for the 4-hole turrets. (https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee/products/toolhead-storage-rack-lee-classic-turret) They are reasonably priced and keep your die loaded turrets off the bench but within easy reach. Ed