PDA

View Full Version : Saving an old lathe

abunaitoo
10-06-2017, 11:09 PM
I was given an old lathe. Catch is I have to move it.
Looks like it hasn't been used for a long time.
After a spray with PB Blaster, everything still moves.
Taking it apart so I can carry it.
So far got everything home but the cabinet that holds the motor and speed change.
It's an old Sheldon. Looks like everything is there.
Surface rust, but look like it will clean up.
Took pictures after I took off some parts.

codgerville@zianet.com
10-07-2017, 12:18 AM
I was given an old lathe. Catch is I have to move it.
Looks like it hasn't been used for a long time.
After a spray with PB Blaster, everything still moves.
Taking it apart so I can carry it.
So far got everything home but the cabinet that holds the motor and speed change.
It's an old Sheldon. Looks like everything is there.
Surface rust, but look like it will clean up.
Took pictures after I took off some parts.

Very nice gift, Sheldons are good machines. I've restored several lathes, shapers, mills and other machine tools. You will get much enjoyment from that.

tim338
10-07-2017, 08:03 AM
I too enjoy restoring old machinery. That does look like a fine old lathe. Have fun!

Treetop
10-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Worlds of information on Sheldon lathes and a very friendly forum to boot, here:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/sheldon-lathes.93/

Treetop

abunaitoo
10-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Worlds of information on Sheldon lathes and a very friendly forum to boot, here:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/sheldon-lathes.93/

Treetop

That's me under the Sheldon section.
Good people there. Kind of like here.

abunaitoo
10-09-2017, 04:09 PM
Got the last of the lathe loaded in the truck.
Need to make a dolly so I can move it around.
I guess now the hard work to start. Cleaning, seeing what might be broken, then painting and assembly.
Motor looks to be a 220v 3ph. Going to change to a 220v 1ph or 110v.
Whatever I can find cheap.

Hannibal
10-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Why not just use a VFD? They can be had pretty cheap now days.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Did you get the tail stock with the lathe? The Sheldon was often called the gunsmith lathe.

country gent
10-09-2017, 09:24 PM
There are phase converters also that make the third leg for 3 phase motors. Dad just bought a 5 hp single phase 220 volt motor for his air compressor and it was around $600.00. A 1 hp single phase 110 volt depending on the frame you need will probably be in the $150 range.

Moleman-
10-09-2017, 09:59 PM
I have a 12x36 Sheldon and joined the Sheldon Yahoo site shortly after getting it. John Knox as others have stated is a wealth of knowledge for your lathe. My lathe was made in 1953 and the guy I got it from was keeping a Lodge and Shipley and an older Sheldon that looked just like yours only black. Mine didn't come with a motor so I put a single phase 110V-1hp/220V-2hp motor on it and wired it up for 110v. So far the 1hp has done everything I've wanted it to. I got mine cheap as someone had locked the back gears and attempted to remove the stuck chuck breaking teeth off of the bull gear and one back gear. The missing teeth area was filled in with braze and I recut the teeth.

abunaitoo
10-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Did you get the tail stock with the lathe? The Sheldon was often called the gunsmith lathe.
Tail stock taken off be fore I took the pictures.
I always forget to take pictures before starting projects.
It's all there. No accessories though.

abunaitoo
10-09-2017, 10:50 PM
I have a 12x36 Sheldon and joined the Sheldon Yahoo site shortly after getting it. John Knox as others have stated is a wealth of knowledge for your lathe. My lathe was made in 1953 and the guy I got it from was keeping a Lodge and Shipley and an older Sheldon that looked just like yours only black. Mine didn't come with a motor so I put a single phase 110V-1hp/220V-2hp motor on it and wired it up for 110v. So far the 1hp has done everything I've wanted it to. I got mine cheap as someone had locked the back gears and attempted to remove the stuck chuck breaking teeth off of the bull gear and one back gear. The missing teeth area was filled in with braze and I recut the teeth.

I did join that group.
Don't like the format of yahoo groups.
I did post, but got nothing back.
Hobby Machinist is much better.

abunaitoo
10-09-2017, 10:53 PM

The chuck is stuck on this one.
I found a trick on Youtube that the guy used a cut fan belt, a big hex socket, a breaker bar, and a wood bed protector.
I'll see if I can find it an post the link.

DougGuy
10-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Buddy has a couple of Sheldon lathes. I helped him move one they are HEAVY! Well made machines though.

abunaitoo
10-10-2017, 05:58 AM
Here's the link for removing the chuck.
I put a large allan socket in the chuck with a breaker bar.
Works better that using the legs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JinDdyozxaY

bob208
10-10-2017, 01:21 PM
I prefer south-bends because I have 3 now and parts are plentiful. but if I had a good working Sheldon lathe I would be just as happy. you did good.

I hope you get that old American iron running.

Drm50
10-10-2017, 09:30 PM
I have a old South Bend, belt driven. It ain't to fancy but it's in nice shape and I have gathered up
lots of good accessories for it. Price was right OSHA wouldnt allow in to be used in a Hi School shop.
The school had gotten a load of government surplus on some kind of program. I got it for $1 a
legal sale. This was in 70s, when we started loosing industries here there was a lot of good tooling
floating around cheap.

Moleman-
10-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the guy in the video didn't really have a stuck chuck. When I took my Buck true-adjust chuck off my back plate there were deep gouges from a big pipe wrench which I'm guessing is what broke off the teeth. You can put a 2x2 through the chuck so one jaw is on top and two are on the other side for a lever if need be. For whatever reason it seems the #1 thing that keeps coming up on the Sheldon site for new guys is broken back gear teeth from attempting to remove a stuck chuck. Gear repair was easy enough though.

abunaitoo
10-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Lathe is all apart right now.
Had to cut the two drive belts so I could take the main off.
This one has bronze bushings instead of bearings.
Belts needed to be changed anyway.
Need to clean it up to see if anything damaged, but from what I see so far, everything looks good.
I'm looking for something that would show me how the "U" drive works.

bob208
10-12-2017, 04:51 PM
I have fixed more then one s-b lathe with broke back gear teeth.

best way to remove a stuck chuck it to make a clamp block with a long handle that clamps to the back part of the spindle then you can use a long bar in the chuck. that way you are not putting strain on the gears.

55fairlane
10-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Hope you keep us updated on your progress.......

abunaitoo
10-30-2017, 06:10 PM
I'll try to remember to take picture.
Seems the older I get, the more trouble I have remembering to do things.

Hamish
10-30-2017, 09:14 PM
I'll try to remember to take picture.
Seems the older I get, the more trouble I have remembering to do things.

Remember to do what?

Now where did I leave my pants,,,,,,,

GONRA
11-03-2017, 09:53 PM
GONRA's not sure this Southbend 10K lathe (purchased in early 1960's)
2010 Spindle Bearing Lube Parts Rehab info will be useful, but here goes:

stevewb@bellsouth.net hasa great kit with perfect instructions.

This guy really pulled out all the stops in selling a kit.
Maybe he has something for YOUR project?

PS Didn't try too "bang spindle out and back in" but made a handy puller using
½-13 nuts / washers, pipe nipples, etc. on ½-13 threaded rod.
This verked smoooothly.
Surely saved "Joe Fumble Fingers" from making a mess of it all....

jdjax64
11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm looking for something that would show me how the "U" drive works.
You might try this site. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2133&tab=3

abunaitoo
11-11-2017, 08:46 PM
I did check Vintage Machinery.
Lots of good information, but no instructions on how to work the "U" drive.
I guess I'll figure it out when I get it back together.

john.k
11-11-2017, 09:56 PM
The best part is once you have restored one lathe,you can easily restore the next one.I have a lot of heavy workshop machinery,but am too old for big stuff,so luckily i saved a couple of small lathes.Even a 13x40 lathe has a 4 jaw that weighs 60 lb,so its either left on or needs a little hoist to change over.When you get too old,people start giving you stuff you would have sold your mother in law to get 60 years before.

Hannibal
11-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Remember to do what?

Now where did I leave my pants,,,,,,,

What are these 'pants' of which you speak? Some new foolishness the kids have undertaken, I expect.