PDA

View Full Version : Which is better RCBS or Lyman Lube sizer????

abunaitoo
10-04-2017, 05:37 PM
I've been using a Lyman. Just got a RCBS.
Which is better??????

too many things
10-04-2017, 05:45 PM
both work but they like their own dies . will interchange BUT will find the seal dont work perfect

Buzz64
10-04-2017, 05:51 PM
I like the Lyman 4500 with a dimmer switch to control heat. Once you find the right setting mark it on the dimmer dial then just turn it to the mark and lube has just the right flow and no mess. Use white label red carnauba.

Lloyd Smale
10-05-2017, 05:44 AM
out of the two the rcbs would be my choice if for no other reason then when and if it broke id have rcbs to back it instead of lyman. Best advice I could give you is to save a bit longer and buy a star.

dragon813gt
10-05-2017, 05:58 AM
both work but they like their own dies . will interchange BUT will find the seal dont work perfect

This isn't the case at all. I have four RCBS LAM1s and all my dies are Lyman. Nothing leaks. The choice is preference. But the RCBS is a more robust design w/ a warranty. When something breaks RCBS will replace it. Good luck w/ warranty service from Lyman.

gunarea
10-05-2017, 06:45 AM
Gosh I generally can simply watch these pissing matches. I'm in. Why not ask who has a beautiful wife or ugly kid.
In one week from now this Lyman 450 will celebrate its fiftieth birthday. It has seen continuous duty with a thirty year streak of producing 2500 lubed and sized projectiles a month. This is a very conservative number based solely on primer receipts. The projectiles from this press has allowed me to win many gold medals at Florida state level shooting competitions in several different shooting disciplines. When used conscientiously, it is beyond me how any of the tools could become broken.
No I'm not a Lyman salesman. My Dillon press is 38 years old and going strong.
The Lee casting pot is over forty now and I will probably replace the heating element many more times. I am still feeding a Ruger flat top that will soon be a senior citizen. All the equipment mentioned are good. Whatever you get will end up the best in your opinion. The point is, take care of the tool and it will perform.
Roy

dragon813gt
10-05-2017, 06:48 AM
Who's brand bashing? Nothing wrong w/ pointing out Lyman's lack of warranty service. Beyond that it's all personal preference.

JMax
10-05-2017, 08:49 AM
I have a LAM2, LAM1 and an old Lyman 45, all serve me well.

Maven
10-05-2017, 09:23 AM
"This isn't the case at all. I have four RCBS LAM1s and all my dies are Lyman. Nothing leaks. The choice is preference. But the RCBS is a more robust design w/ a warranty. When something breaks RCBS will replace it. Good luck w/ warranty service from Lyman." ...dragon....

Exactly right!

dverna
10-05-2017, 11:04 AM
out of the two the rcbs would be my choice if for no other reason then when and if it broke id have rcbs to back it instead of lyman. Best advice I could give you is to save a bit longer and buy a star.

Bingo

Greg S
10-05-2017, 11:11 AM
I prefer the RCBS and old Lyman 45s. I also prefer RCBS dies. The chamfered entrance is nice for GC boolits. Next prchase though, will be a Star.

HP9MM
10-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Veral Smith likes the RCBS one. That's what he told me about 18 mos. ago.

lightman
10-05-2017, 12:20 PM
I have gotten good service from my Lyman 450. I replaced the "O" rings this past summer. Between the two, I would probably buy the RCBS because the handle linkage looks stronger and because of their warranty.

Grmps
10-05-2017, 01:36 PM
“In one week from now this Lyman 450 will celebrate its fiftieth birthday.”

That’s because it was built when Lyman still was made in the US and had a high-quality standard.

Like other are saying, I love my OLD Lyman & Ideal products BUT will not but new Lyman products due to their lower quality, poor quality control, poor warranty and unacceptable customer service.

There was a time when Lyman and RCBS were both quality products.

Now I’d go RCBS, STAR or almost anything else before the new Lyman.

MT Chambers
10-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Of the two I'd go with the RCBS as it is more robust......but the Star is easily my first pick, I have 2 Lyman, 2 RCBS, and 3 Stars and the Stars see the most use by far.

KenT7021
10-05-2017, 04:12 PM
I like the Lyman lube sizer.I have a 45,2 450's and a 4500.The 4500 is newer and made in the USA.I haven't used the RCBS sizer but they are a good choice as well.The only problem I have with a Saeco is the price of dies and top punches.I have never broken a handle or any other parts on a lube sizer.That would probably only happen thru abuse.

Tom W.
10-05-2017, 07:44 PM
I have a beautiful wife. She didn't get so lucky..........

marlin39a
10-05-2017, 08:43 PM
I own 3 Lyman 450's. I've been using them for 40 yrs. I like them.

mtnman31
10-05-2017, 08:49 PM
I've got both. The RCBS is my preference. They both work fine, I just prefer the RCBS. You'll be turning out good bullets and happy with either.

Kraschenbirn
10-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Currently have two Lyman 450's and a Lyman 45 but, in 45 years of casting, have never bought a new lubrisizer...all were used when they came to me. I think the key may be "old" Lyman vs. "new". Yeah, over the years, I've replaced a part or two here and a few O-rings there but my Lymans have served me well. That said, if I were to buy a new sizer tomorrow, it would probably be an RCBS simply because of Lyman's poor reputation for customer service.

Bill

vzerone
10-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't have an opinion on the machine, although I use a Lyman 450 and Lyman 45, but I prefer the Lyman dies and that is because Lyman has the series of holes in the die and they seem better for shorter bullets as you don't have to push them in as deep to get where the lube dispenses in the groove. RCBS dies have the four holes, but they have a groove inside the die that connects the holes. I don't like that because it's a possiblity that a gascheck can snag on it in addition to the statement I made about the Lyman die. My setups don't leak either.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-07-2017, 03:37 PM
which is better?
Good question. I don't know?

My opinion is...
I dislike the "ram design of the RCBS and Lyman 450 and 4500.
I prefer the design of the Lyman 45 with it's guide rods, which is similar to the Saeco and the Ideal #1, as well as the Star.

ShooterAZ
10-07-2017, 04:15 PM
I have both the Lyman & RCBS lubesizers. I like them both, but prefer the RCBS to size and seat gas checked boolits. It seems to have more leverage. As to leakage...the only one to ever leak was the RCBS. It was entirely my fault though, I left the lube heater on overnight...Oops. I ended up with a puddle of lube on the carpet and I thought my wife was gonna kill me. Live and learn.

white eagle
10-07-2017, 04:49 PM
I prefer to use a push through sizer
I do have a Lyman though and have had one since day 1

Hickory
10-07-2017, 05:18 PM
I have owned both, and the RCBS has always been the best performer.