PDA

View Full Version : Ruger NRA Mini 14

jim4065
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I like 'em and the price isn't bad. It also encourages Ruger to back off the "Evil High-Cap" kick they've been on.

So does anyone have advice re: the Mini 14? I know we'll have to move Heaven and Earth to get a 22 GB mold going - but what about the rifle itself? My military career was spent with the M14, so I trust the damn thing - but will it shoot? They say the new beefed-up barrel helps accuracy a lot, but I haven't seen any test reports.

Just bought an LCP, and this looks like the perfect "companion" piece. [smilie=w:

RP
08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
i got a new one target model shot some cast in it have not found the good load to cycle it well yet but the loads were shooting good groups just had to hand cycle it.

e15cap
08-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I had a Ranch Rifle and that thing would hold minute of 7-11 at a half a block. It went bye bye.
Best Roger

mooman76
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I've heard they are better but still aren't great as in don't expect to get 1 MOA. More like 2 - 1 1/2 MOA. But that's just what I heard somewheres. I have an older one that is fun to shoot and I picked it up fairly cheap. Personally for that kind of money I would just put another $100 down and get an AR.

chaos
08-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Spend your money on an Ar and dont look back

Heavy lead
08-09-2008, 12:27 AM
I really wish the mini would shoot, but I've come to the conclusion it just won't. After finally getting on the ar bandwagon, I'm here to stay, you can do anything with them, they're super easy to work on, clean modify and they offer tons of drop in parts to customize them, and the best thing is they shoot, and if you get one that won't you can buy fairly inexpensive after market barrels, float tubes and other items to make them shoot. At first I hated them. After I got 500 rounds or so down my first one, it's the only 223 I want anymore.
Get an AR

leftiye
08-09-2008, 01:18 AM
My first one shot 1.5 moa. I refinished the stock. The sanding down to remove the finish left the action sitting on top of the locking mechanism in the stock with a hairline of light between it and the stock (reciever was free to flex, and return to a relaxed position - no binding). Along the line the C-shaped thingie that wedges into the gas port/forend cap thing and camps to the sheet steel forend liner got lost leaving the forend a tiny bit loose (no binding there either). FWIW. That was with the scope mount that attaches to the rear sight ears, and pushes off of the reciever. Flex in the reciever if it doesn't return to a relaxed position changes POI all over the place.

chaos
08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
My first one shot 1.5 moa. I refinished the stock. The sanding down to remove the finish left the action sitting on top of the locking mechanism in the stock with a hairline of light between it and the stock (reciever was free to flex, and return to a relaxed position - no binding). Along the line the C-shaped thingie that wedges into the gas port/forend cap thing and camps to the sheet steel forend liner got lost leaving the forend a tiny bit loose (no binding there either). FWIW. That was with the scope mount that attaches to the rear sight ears, and pushes off of the reciever. Flex in the reciever if it doesn't return to a relaxed position changes POI all over the place.

That, Coupled with the FLIMSY barrels Ruger puts on these things makes them accuracy nightmares, especially when you run more than 5 or 6 runds down the pipe and things start to heat up. I've tinkered with Mini's off and on and they can be a real PITA. It's easier and cheaper in the long run to just get the AR. The new ones are supposed to have better barrels, but I have heard good and bad.......

I like Ruger firearms, but believe that this is quite possibly the worst weapon that they have ever made. I dont care for their auto pistols either. The are tough as nails, accurate and very reliable.... but for me the ergonomics are the same as trying to point a brick.

jim4065
08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Only problem with the AR is that I used to have one - just never could warm up to it and eventually sold it at a loss. Heard that the Mini now has a thicker barrel and also that they shortened the NRA version to 16".

yondering
08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I personally much prefer the Mini 14 over the AR15. The Mini14 points like a real rifle, and doesn't have sights 2 or 3 inches above the bore line.
Mine does shoot 1 MOA with Winchester White Box ammo, and my buddie's new Mini14 (about 1 1/2 years old) also shoots well.
I don't shoot cast in mine though, the .223 is designed for high velocity and works well that way.

ebner glocken
08-10-2008, 02:51 AM
I didn't think my mini 14 would shoot either and it sat in the back corner of the safe for years. One day I got a wild hair up my butt, pulled it out of the safe and tried some berger 64 grain. The thing majically appeared in the minute of angle class if I did my part. Not knocking the ar-15 (I own one of those also) just don't chock up the mini as an innacurate ***.

deltaenterprizes
08-10-2008, 09:40 AM
If it was a true "Mini 14" I would like it more but it is not even close,go with an AR.

dominicfortune00
08-11-2008, 10:32 PM
After shooting my brothers' AR, I went out and got a Mini 14.

I'm used to my Garand, Carbine, and G43, those recoil once for each shot.

The AR recoils twice, once from the fired cartridge and a second time when the bolt hits the buffer in the butt stock.

HATE IT!!!!!

I can hit with the first shot, but I'm always off on subsequent shots because I anticipate the bolt hitting the buffer.

Haven't shot my Mini yet, I travel too much.

Boerrancher
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I have owned both a Mini and an AR. I must say that I no longer have the Mini and have several ARs. I may one day pick up a used Mini Ranch rifle in stainless if I find a good buy on one Just to use a a beater for hauling around in the cab of the tractor, but to buy one and expect to use it and depend on it hitting anything smaller than a 9 in paper plate at 100 yards is just wishful thinking.

My Uncle is just retired as chief deputy from the sheriff's department, and I remember when they got their Mini's. He called me after the first day at the qualification range wanting to know why no one in the department could shoot a good score with them. I ask what the best and worst groups were and he told me the best was about 9 in for 10 shots, and the worst was 20 in for 10 shots. He was quite upset when I told him that was about right for the number of rifles they had purchased. He wanted to know why I hadn't told him about how poorly they shot. My response, "You never ask." Out of 50 rifles none of them would do better than 8 in for 10 shots at 100 yds. I have yet to shot an AR or M-16 that shot as poorly as that.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

PatMarlin
08-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I've got a Mini that has always shot well. You can get them to. THE website for the mini is... perfectunion.com

All and all I like my Mini better than my AR.

Boerrancher
08-16-2008, 03:23 PM
All and all I like my Mini better than my AR.

Pat,

I love the looks of the Mini, and would love to have one that shot as well as my worst shooting AR. AR's are ugly, bulky, cumbersome, and did I mention ugly? Oh yes I did mention it, but it deserves saying again. AR's are ugly. My National Match AR if you do every thing right, even with M193 cartridges it will shoot 5 shot groups at 100 m that you can cover with a cigarette butt at times. It does a lot better when you start getting away from that 55 gr ball. Until Ruger starts building a Mini that will consistently shoot with the AR's for me there is no need in even talking comparisons.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Heavy lead
08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
After shooting my brothers' AR, I went out and got a Mini 14.

I'm used to my Garand, Carbine, and G43, those recoil once for each shot.

The AR recoils twice, once from the fired cartridge and a second time when the bolt hits the buffer in the butt stock.

HATE IT!!!!!

I can hit with the first shot, but I'm always off on subsequent shots because I anticipate the bolt hitting the buffer.

Haven't shot my Mini yet, I travel too much.

I too, had the same exact response as you did with my first AR, however I paid 1200 bucks for it, so I got mad one day and just decided I was going to get used to it. I grew up on bolt guns and the damn thing just didn't feel right, either when held or when shot. But after about 400 or 500 rounds of "forced" prone shooting, I realized I was getting good with it. You can field strip them damn near blindfolded and now all the controls are all automatic for me, just as with a bolt gun. Quite frankly if I were to only have one of my varmint rifles out of the 6 centerfire 22's I have it would be one of the AR's, no doubt.

PatMarlin
08-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I've had a thing for building a 300 whisper and this thread got me thinking... why not build one on a Mini 14, with a high grade barrel?

THAT may be an awesome rifle, and could very well be an awesome cast boolit shooter.

I like the AR, but alas... I'm stuck with a Fab-10 here in California which is somewhat of a pain in the ****.

Any thoughts on the wisper candidate...?

dominicfortune00
08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Since the AR was my brother's, and I wanted something that shot .223; it worked out pretty good for me.

It felt okay when I held it, just didn't feel right when I shot it.

I got the stainless/synthetic one with the adjustable rear sight, not the ranch rifle.

It was a lot less expensive than my brother's AR. :-)

If I want to put precision holes in stuff, my Smith Corona 03A3 or IHC Garand with AP rounds work very well. :twisted:

As far as varmint/groundhogs, I use my SC 03A3. I take ball ammo, pull the ball, and seat a Hornady 150 grain flat base. Works good, big holes.

I've hit and killed groundhogs as far away as 190 yards with the issue iron sights. For what I do, that works for me.

jim4065
08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, does the Mini 30 do any better - accuracy wise?

PatMarlin
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's some interesting notes on the ar/mini 14's by Accuracy Systems, Inc.:

The Mini 14® rifle system is a close copy of the Grand’s receiver, bolt and trigger group system. I don't have to tell you that it ends there, but they are still very similar. The Mini is a very tough, well built system as it is. It will take all the abuse you can dish out and still be depended on to function when you need it. Here is a quote from General George Patton:"The M1 is the best battle weapon ever developed." The outcome of WW 2 proves this rifle to be battle worthy. That is also why even to this very day our troops in Iraq & Afghanistan prefer the dependability of the M14 which is the M1's predecessor over the AR 15! But you say to yourself, why put $600 plus dollars into a rifle I only paid $500 for. Well below are some good reasons. Not to mention, have you priced a new M14 lately? Yes, it does shoot a 308 Winchester compared to a 223 Remington. But it also weighs more, cost more and doesn't come with an accuracy guarantee unless you pay extra. Don't feel stuck with the 223 caliber either, we do offer other calibers to suit your needs.

MINI 14 & AR15 Comparisons

Mini 14 - No hot gases are dumped into the bolt. So the bolt is not over come by excessive heat! Also there is no carbon to build up and lock up the bolt!

AR15 - Hot gases are dumped into the bolt to say the least and carbon will build up if not regularly cleaned causing a malfunction and or cease to operate condition.

Mini 14 - All steel receiver and case hardened to a thickness of at least .020"

AR15 - 75% aluminum alloy with the critical parts steel

Mini 14 - Open bolt design is a close copy of the M14. The open bolt is very forgiving when it comes to dirt, dust or sand. The rifle clean or dirty just keeps ticking and ticking.

AR 15- Closed bolt design. Just ask our troops about the plastic baggies they need to use to keep the sand from jamming up there rifles.

Mini 14 - Self cleaning gas system no buffer tube to collect moisture or dirt and lock up the buffer system.

AR 15- Must be field stripped to clean trigger compartment, Buffer system, Bolt & carrier and gas tube system.

Mini 14 - compact, versatile, and doesn't take up much space.

AR15 - Large bulky

Mini 14 - Field strips in seconds. Pop the trigger guard and the rifle practically dismantles it self.

AR 15- Definitely slower to disassemble.

Mini 14 - Now here the AR has an advantage over the Mini. Out of the box ACCURACY!

AR 15 - Out of the box ACCURACY!

Mini 14 - But here we can help! We can turn your Mini 14 into a rifle that will shoot right next to an AR15 after one of our conversions is completed. Now that we have discussed the pros and cons of the rifles you would have to say the Mini definitely has some advantages and we can take care of the disadvantages!

Accuracy Systems, Inc.

jim4065
08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Chickened out for awhile - but someday I'll buy a Mini.

For now - bought a Norinco AK Hunter - based on the recommendation of a friend, who's never lied to me - much. :roll: