PDA

View Full Version : bluedot load for 32 acp?

Whiterabbit
09-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Anyone have one? any load at all?

LAGS
09-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Sounds like you are looking for a Load to fit the powder that you have.
I think that Blue Dot may be a tad slow for such a small case.
I use Bullseye or unique.
But what bullet are you using ?

Outpost75
09-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Not really too "slow" as I use Alliant #2400 with great success in steel frame .32 ACPs.

But I never liked the large particle size of Blue Dot for small charges because it doesn't measure uniformly and you'd have to weigh every one.

Based on AutoComp data you "should" be able to use 3 grains with the 78-grain NOE flatnose at 0.95" OAL as long as you are not shooting it in a Keltec or Beretta Tomcat...

Whiterabbit
10-01-2017, 04:07 AM
Sounds like you are looking for a Load to fit the powder that you have.
I think that Blue Dot may be a tad slow for such a small case.
I use Bullseye or unique.
But what bullet are you using ?

You nailed it. If I can't use bluedot, I won't reload it and just buy commercial. I'll use whatever bullet you tell me will make BD work (Or just keep buying fiochi FMJ)

I completely understand that it's not the best tool for the job. I just have so much bluedot.

Gun is an older Walther PP.

LAGS
10-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Trade off the Blue Dot for some other powder.
A little Horse Trading is better than wasting your time, or putting yourself into a no win situation.
It is better to make up the load you want to accomplish.
Then to try and use what you have, starting with one item that is not Ideal in the first place, then hunt for all the other pieces of the puzzle , just to come up with a Sub Standard or less than Optimal load.
But Yes, they will Go BANG.
But is it worth all your time and effort ?
Dont feel bad.
There are lots of us, that when there was a powder shortage, we bought whatever we could get our hands on, thus ending up with some stuff that is not as universal as we would like it to be.
But now is the time to post what we dont need, and see if there are others that can use it , or trade you for what you really need.
Heck, I couldnt find 2400 for three years, but was well supplied with Unique and other shotgun powders.
I was able to trade for what I needed, At Minimal loss, to some shotgunners as Dove season came closer.
Waterfoul Season is coming up.
Blue Dot is Great for heavy Waterfoul loads.

mac60
10-01-2017, 10:44 AM
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TL31475RF/data/loadnotes01.pdf

Thought you might find that interesting.

Kosh75287
10-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Based on what the above link says, you probably can get enough Blue Dot in the .32 ACP case to get decent function, but it will be a slightly compressed load. I've used less than a pound of Blue Dot, EVER, so I'm no authority on its use. The propellant nonetheless strikes me as one that performs best with chamber pressures well above 14,000 psi, and probably somewhat above 20,000 psi. If you have a choice between using Blue Dot vs. anything else, your best option is likely "anything else".