PDA

View Full Version : I trimmed a BUNCH of .357 Mag brass

Bookworm
09-30-2017, 10:02 AM
I recently worked up a full-power load for a 358156GC, in a .357 Mag Ruger 6.5" BH. I don't shoot a lot of full-house 357 loads, or a lot of full-house anything anymore, but I figured I would work up a load anyway. One needs a variety, right ?

I figured I would load up 150-200 just to keep on hand. These will likely last for several years, so I want them to be as consistent as possible. I wanted to load them with the same components I worked the load with - the same brass, boolits from the same casting lot, etc.

To this end, I decided to trim the brass, get the crimp as consistent as possible. I dislike trimming brass. I REALLY dislike trimming brass. I figured, just do a couple hundred cases and get it over with.

I set up the trimming tools, and sat down to trim. I trimmed and trimmed. I was there for HOURS it seemed. I trimmed MOUNTAINS of 357 brass. I trimmed until my fingers felt ready to fall off, yet kept at it. I trimmed as if it was the last job to do before getting a lottery payout. At the end of a lifetime of trimming, I counted up the piles of trimmed, beautiful 357 brass.

59 pieces.

I really dislike trimming cases.

Texas by God
09-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Haha- been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

reddog81
09-30-2017, 10:34 AM
If I'm going to trim .357 brass, I do a quick measure of all the pieces and dertemine which ones actually need any trimming. I'll usually only trim 1/3 of the pieces. Select the longest pieces and trim them to average length on the bunch. Any pieces that are really short get set aside.

I've only done this 2 or 3 times because like you I hate trimming brass. I'll do it after the cases have been loaded somewhere around 10 to 15 times.

OS OK
09-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Sooner than later most of us have to deal with this unpleasant task...I figured that a 'wee little bit' of automation might ease the pain.
You can buy these drill motor attachments, this un's homemade.

9.3X62AL
09-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Case trimming is slightly ahead of "root canals" on my preference list. I long ago added a drill motor to my Forster trimmer, and that speeds things along a bit. One of the truly nice things about cast bullet shooting in rifles is the reduced pressures of said loads causing a lot less need for case trimming--once you get the case shoulders and chamber shoulders singing in harmony.

I just finished a lot of 1500 Starline brass in 357 Magnum. The closeness of their case lengths throughout this lot was astounding--in the range of .002" TIR. I didn't even use the trimmer to even things up--I just primed them, ran the expander spud in, poured powder, and seated bullets. IME, straight-wall cases don't require much trimming once they are "evened up" when first purchased. These Starlines didn't even require that. Some folks might have still run them through an initial trimming, and that is an individual preference. I would need a much better revolver or levergun and far better skill set to discern any difference caused by .002" of case length and resulting roll-crimp application. Just tryin' to keep it real, y'all.

texassako
09-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Been there, done that, and currently trimming a couple hundred R-P .380 cases for a short chambered gun. It is not much fun, but at least I don't have to do it often.

Bookworm
09-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Sooner than later most of us have to deal with this unpleasant task...I figured that a 'wee little bit' of automation might ease the pain.

I really need to get something like this. I've been meaning to, but .... well ....
I need to just break down and purchase a trimmer.

308Jeff
09-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the Saturday morning giggle, Bookworm!

I too despise trimming. Even with a Giraud.

mdi
09-30-2017, 11:43 AM
I haven't been shooting in maybe 6 to 8 months due to forest fire and a losing argument with a ladder, so I have plenty of reloads to shoot up. I have been keeping in touch with my reloading by processing brass, melting and recasting bullets and ingots and researching future reloads. I got out my box of 45 ACP brass, which had been sorted and sized, and got my Lee 45 ACP trimming pilot ready (bought in 1990 and never used). I looked at the pile of brass, then the trimmer, then the pile of brass again then put everything up and went and watched TV Westerns...

09-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Me either! When it's brass trimmin' time, I clear the decks and organize my works space. I use the Lee zip trim and can speed through a pile in less than a headache. Couple hundred at a time is no problem.

Jack Stanley
09-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Glad it was only fifty-nine pieces to do and it only took a lifetime to get it done . Now that you have your lottery payout Call Giraud and get a good trimmer and call Starline and get a pallet of brass huh? ;-)

Jack

mozeppa
09-30-2017, 12:26 PM
don't like trimming ya say?

tell us how you REALLY feel!:bigsmyl2:

Mk42gunner
09-30-2017, 12:43 PM
I loathe and detest trimming brass. I don't do it unless I absolutely have to.

I went from using the original Lee cutter and lock stud with a drill, to a Forster and a Lyman with power adapter. I think the Lee is easiest to use, I just don't like that there isn't any choice as to trim to length.

The funny thing is I like to convert cartridges, and don't mind trimming brass when doing so.

Robert

runfiverun
09-30-2017, 02:26 PM
I hate champhering case mouths.

9.3X62AL
09-30-2017, 03:07 PM
I hate champhering case mouths.

Yessir. This is the teeth-drilling part of that root canal concept I spoke of above.

fecmech
09-30-2017, 03:13 PM
I have always taper crimped .357 mags and never had any bullets jump crimp. All my magnum loads are 358429 over max doses of 296/H110 and a while back I decided to see if trimming was worth the time. I selected 36 cases of identical length and loaded them along with 36 random length cases with my normal load. All cases were the same headstamp, Federal. My wife loaded them in two separate trays so that she knew which were which but I did not. I benched 12 groups over two days @ 50 yds doing 3 from each box each day. I don't remember the exact results except that there was essentially no difference and the averages for both groups were 2 1/4 -2 1/2"@ 50 yds. That ended any desire I ever had to trim straight wall brass.

Walter Laich
09-30-2017, 03:16 PM
to pile on, trimming is not for the faint of heart

I usually end up with mine splitting before I need to trim. Been shooting the same batch in cowboy action for 15 years.

let's say I started with a bunch and add to it as the split/crack. Some are so thin now you can read a newspaper through it :-P

Tom W.
09-30-2017, 05:05 PM
I had a NEF .270 that if a round was fired from it the case needed trimming. It was a great rifle, very accurate, but I hated to trim the brass... so I sold it.

Once, a long long time ago while I was recuperating from stomach surgery I got really bored so I decided to trim my .44 mag brass. When I got over that I never trimmed straight wall handgun brass again.

waco
09-30-2017, 05:12 PM
You're a brave man. I don't trim handgun brass....ever.....

Kestrel4k
09-30-2017, 06:05 PM
My biggest adventure in trimming was to take 0.100" off of qty.70-80 .44Mag cases to come up w/ a custom load (not quite as short as .44Spl). Now /that/ was a chore I have no intent on ever repeating. :-/

But recently I replaced the original (& worn out) steel cutters on my Lyman trimmer with a ~$45 carbide one, which has made trimming MUCH easier. Highly recommended for anybody still using their steel cutters.

kayala
09-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Trimmed about 600 357 brass recently (just to have uniform crimp) - wasn't eventful at all with Dillon trimmer and CH4D die :)

Bzcraig
09-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Brass trimming is definitely the 'necessary evil' of reloading.

JeffG
10-01-2017, 07:51 AM
I trimmed about 1000 5.56 brass a little over a year ago, it took a few sessions. That RCBS case prep station sure came in handy because I did the primer pockets too.

mdi
10-01-2017, 11:32 AM
To me, trimming is just part of reloading. I enjoy reloading and every part of the process, however tedious, is acceptable as just part of the fun...

Most I ever trim is around 60, max., or three boxes of rifle brass. Never trimmed handgun brass...

cainttype
10-01-2017, 12:45 PM
The RCBS 3-way cutters do a great job of trimming, chamfering, and deburring in one operation... Mated to their powered Trim-Pro (or a similar drill operated short-cut) they make short work of BIG jobs.
I believe they also fit the current Hornady trimmers.

They might be viewed as over-kill on small batch jobs, but if you really like to minimize efforts on volumn case maintenance they are definitely worth considering.

blikseme300
10-01-2017, 01:43 PM
The RCBS 3-way cutters do a great job of trimming, chamfering, and deburring in one operation... Mated to their powered Trim-Pro (or a similar drill operated short-cut) they make short work of BIG jobs.
I believe they also fit the current Hornady trimmers.

They might be viewed as over-kill on small batch jobs, but if you really like to minimize efforts on volumn case maintenance they are definitely worth considering.

3-way is the way to go for any kind of volume, IMO. Yes, the RCBS unit fits the Hornady and different arbors can be used for other calibers, ie .308" & 5.56mm. With the Hornady universal shell holders don't work so consider getting their holders if you are considering buying the Hornady.

I tried the new Lee units and although the OAL consistency was OK the chamfering and deburring not so much.

As for trimming pistol brass, I just don't and won't do it.

[edit: missing words]

BNE
10-01-2017, 02:13 PM

I use a similar set up. Still not fun, but this takes a lot of the pain out of it.

cainttype
10-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Trimming pistol brass isn't regular maintenance every cycle that a case is reloaded, but it is occasionally needed (even on new cases) to maintain uniform crimps (especially heavy roll-crimps for slow-burning powders) and/or proper headspace on rimless casings.
New casings are generally inspected and trimmed if necessary. Used casings that aren't pre-sorted get treated the same.

Grmps
10-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Thank you, you made me smile

I do almost the same thing. I get a bolt the threads into the trimmer die, lock 3 nuts together at 1 end, thread it into my trimmer and lock the bolt in place with a lock nut. I use a 1/4 inch deep socket over the 3 nuts and cunck a 1/4 inch extansion into my 1/2 drill. I found that trimming works best at the hightest speed in low rage.
I took 1000 9x19 Luger .747 to 9x18 MAK.707 (after I resized the cases)
http://i.imgur.com/FEo5MSl.jpg (https://imgur.com/FEo5MSl)

http://i.imgur.com/Q3g4nVL.jpg (https://imgur.com/Q3g4nVL)

If you place the drill handle up on a support the right height and have something to lean the handle on when you switch casses this greatly increases productivity and reduces stress.
http://i.imgur.com/tDoC81H.jpg (https://imgur.com/tDoC81H)

robg
10-01-2017, 04:40 PM
I trim all my Bottle neck cases ,use the Lee tool in a drill ,you can make a little shim/washer to adjust length out of a pop can ,haven't bothered myself as I'm lazy any content with the Lee set length .don't trim 357 brass as they seem to split long before the stretch enough to worry about ,last about ten plus reloads but I use minimum expansion and don't hot rod my loads I go for accuracy.did I mention I hate trimming brass?

farmerjim
10-01-2017, 05:05 PM
For bottle neck in bulk I use the WFT from little Crow. It is about 5 seconds per case. For straight wall cases, the Lee deluxe quick case trimmer with or without the power attachment.
I put a 3/8 carbide die in my .308 WFT and found it did a much better job.
I power the WFT with a Harbor Freight Mini Lathe. To chamfer and deburr I chuck the tool in the lathe and run it at about 1,000 rpm. I run them all through the chamfer then the deburr. The chamfer is about 4 seconds per case and the deburr is about 5. I grab a hand full of brass in my left hand and feed my right that holds the cases while processing and after till it fills with about half the brass from my left hand. Small cases are faster than large because you can hold more in your hand per cycle. I can do about 18 9mm per minute.

I also hate case trimming.

trapper9260
10-01-2017, 05:09 PM
My gunsmith set my trimmer up to use a hand drill on it and if I have alot of brass to trim .I set up the drill and dose not take long.It is mainly bottle neck that need the trimming. Not much of the handgun brass.I still can use the hand crank like it was set up for .just remove the handle and put the drill on and take care of it once I have it set up for where I want it to trim at. I do check the lenght of all the brass before I see what need to be trim.

308Jeff
10-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Yesterday I got out my Giraud, and 2,000 pieces of 30 Carbine brass. Trimmed 10 pieces yesterday, and about 90 today.

I intended to trim 2,000 pieces? I'm funny.

woodbutcher
10-01-2017, 07:10 PM
[smilie=1:Hi Walter.Ya say they are so thin that they only have one side:roll:?Oh yeah.Trimming brass[smilie=b:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Tom W.
10-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Now I remembered one of the reasons I had my rifle rechambered to 30-06 ai.:bigsmyl2:

sqlbullet
10-02-2017, 10:25 AM
I picked up a dillon rapid trim. If you have enough brass to do to justify it, or just have buckets of money, it is the way to go. I had enough brass, still looking for buckets of money.

jonp
10-02-2017, 05:07 PM
I didn't like trimming either until my wife got me a Lee Quick Trim for Christmas. The thing is fantastic.

https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

sutherpride59
10-02-2017, 10:02 PM
The only thing I know more painful was spending an entire Saturday converting 200 223 casings to 300blackout out.

MT Gianni
10-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Now that you have them trimmed you can outside neck turn for a real good time.

9.3X62AL
10-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Now that you have them trimmed you can outside neck turn for a real good time.

You are just FULL of FUN, aren't ya?

WFO2
10-03-2017, 07:47 AM
I trim my straight wall cases for my cast bullets as well . I also want a consistent crimp . Good thing that I only trim for 38 and 44mag .

Shiloh
10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
I never saw the life changing and group tightening results from trimming handgun brass. Others who shoot better, and I'm no slouch, nay see a difference. Some of my untrimmed were much better than the trimmed groups. May manifest itself with some sort of machine rest.

Shiloh

Grmps
10-03-2017, 12:12 PM
I didn't like trimming either until my wife got me a Lee Quick Trim for Christmas. The thing is fantastic.

https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

I also use one of those with a Cordless Screwdriver < $10 for rifle brass, saves on the wrist. similar to

http://i.imgur.com/YbHMTtn.jpg (https://imgur.com/YbHMTtn)

https://www.amazon.com/Decker-AS6NG-Alkaline-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B004HY3APW/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1507046840&sr=1-5&keywords=Cordless+Screwdriver

Geezer in NH
10-04-2017, 07:38 PM

204924:awesome:

MT Gianni
10-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I never saw the life changing and group tightening results from trimming handgun brass. Others who shoot better, and I'm no slouch, nay see a difference. Some of my untrimmed were much better than the trimmed groups. May manifest itself with some sort of machine rest.

Shiloh

For me it is a big difference in auto pistols to keep the crimp in the same place on the bullet.

paul edward
10-12-2017, 03:13 PM
In the early sixties, long before Starline, I used a Wilson case trimmer to convert a batch of 44 Special to 44 Russian. Had to get a special case holder from Wilson, but it also works for 44 Mag and 44 Special.

Moleman-
10-12-2017, 03:21 PM
I only ever trimmed a couple hundred with the hand crank before ordering the drill adapter for my Lyman trimmer. The lyman trimmer has been used so much over the past 25 years the bearing needs replaced as do the chuck internals. So I bought a Forester trimmer and made sure to get the power adapter from the get go. Trimmed 250 cases yesterday and didn't think it was as big of a PITA as deburring. Looking at one of the case prep centers now.

Tripplebeards
10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Yep, Trimming sucks...but I trim every fired piece of brass. I claim it's why I shoot tighter groups than any of my buddies.

Victor N TN
10-12-2017, 07:37 PM
I've not been able to get out to the shop for almost a year now. And I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of 45 acp brass to trim... Oh the joys of reloading. I'm just happy I've shot as much as I have over the years.

dondiego
10-13-2017, 11:00 AM
I have never heard of anyone trimming .45 ACP.

Victor N TN
10-13-2017, 11:51 AM
I trim mostly my match brass. But when I buy "range brass" I trim it all the first time that I load it. I use that time to sort it also. I get a lot of "duds" thrown it too. Cracked necks and Berdan primers and such.

bob208
10-14-2017, 04:57 PM
trimming brass is no problem gone through couple thousand. I do them in the mill.

Scott_In_OKC
10-14-2017, 11:07 PM
I started trimming my 357 brass and don't mind it too much. I ended up finding some of the short Hornady brass in my stash, so it was worth the time & effort.

FISH4BUGS
10-15-2017, 04:12 PM
While I have never trimmed a handgun caliber brass in my life, I trim all my rifle brass each and every firing.
Since I shoot full auto, I would not like to blow up an expensive M16 or HK51 due to excessive pressures.
No thanks. I would rather take the time and be safe. You get to inspect each and every piece of brass when you trim and chamfer/debur.
Hey - winters are long here in NH - what else you gonna do?

rintinglen
10-15-2017, 07:09 PM
I went through a spell when I was active in the metallic cowboy rifle silhouette game where in I was trimming and reloading hundreds of the 30-30"s every month. I was loading for myself, my daughter and my daughters boyfriend to the tune of 400-600 rounds a month for 4 different rifles, so all had to be resized to factory minimum to enable them to fit any of the 4. I used a forster and a hand crank and I am surprised my right arm did not end up looking like Popeye's. I despise trimming brass.

308Jeff
10-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Trimmed another 200 or so pieces to 30 Carbine today. Hated every minute of it.

There's gotta be a better way....

Tom W.
10-16-2017, 12:06 AM
Hey - winters are long here in NH - what else you gonna do?
Darn, are you that old that you've forgotten?