PDA

View Full Version : Holster For Carry Gun

alamogunr
09-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Not sure that holsters fit in this section but figured I would get better answers here. I have both S&W Shield in 9mm & .45ACP. I have been looking into Alien Gear holsters, I had never considered synthetic materials before but these look like they would serve well.

The one that is attracting me is called ShapeShifter. Very flexible. Only problem is that they don't offer a shell for the .45. They do say that it is "probably" not far off, so I could add it later.

Any comments on AlienGear would be welcomed.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-30-2017, 10:49 AM
I never found any synthetic material to be comfortable in an IWB style holster. The adaptable and convertible holsters are a cool novelty, but the reality is you will find what works for you and stay that way.

My personal recommendation is a Lobo Leather IWB belt loop holster. Splurge the extra money for horse hide and you won't regret it.

http://lobogunleather.com/iwb-inside-the-waist-band/iwb-belt-loop/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outpost75
09-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Any IWB holster which does not permit one-hand reholstering is a non-starter.

If you carry different guns at different times in different holsters, you are getting yourself up for a big fail.

The only concealment holster I have used for over 30 years is the El Paso Saddlery C-Force, which they make to fit anything from pocket autos and snubbies to full-sized M1911s and N-frame Smith 29s.

http://epsaddlery.com/product/c-force-covert-force-holster/

Get one for every gun you will carry. Affordable and Made In USA. The gun is always in the same place, no gun and holster of the week quandry...

jcren
09-30-2017, 11:18 AM
I have an Alien, but I prefer my new Cook's. Better build quality, less bulk and their multi mount models come with hardware and holes to carry any way you can imagine.

osteodoc08
09-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Have you considered a holster with leather and kydex?

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my XDS and it works and wears well.

The reports I've heard on alien are hit and miss.

A good leather holster is expensive but also lasts.

Midway also has their holster finder. Peruse that and it will give you a general idea of what's out there

alamogunr
09-30-2017, 12:37 PM
I have an Alien, but I prefer my new Cook's. Better build quality, less bulk and their multi mount models come with hardware and holes to carry any way you can imagine.

Never heard of Cook's. I'll check it out.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Be sure to use a belt made out of as heavy hide as possible, double stitched. The greatest holster on a flimsy belt will never suit you.

I use Greg Kramer's Pro Line leather exclusively and did so for decades as a peace officer too. I carry guns heavier that the S&W Shield comfortably with Pro Line Leather holsters and belts.

6thtexas
09-30-2017, 03:17 PM
+1 on the El Paso C-Force. I have a couple that I use including one for a CZ-85. They are comfortable wearing, gun is always in the same place, you can re-holster one handed, and a large gun (like my CZ) hides easy under a T shirt. It is the only IWB holster I will use anymore.

DerekP Houston
09-30-2017, 03:38 PM

The reports I've heard on alien are hit and miss.

A good leather holster is expensive but also lasts.

Midway also has their holster finder. Peruse that and it will give you a general idea of what's out there

I carry the crossbreed super tuck as well, always on my right side in similar spots. My OTB holster for bersa goes in the same spot and draws the same. The leather for the supertuck did take a few times of sweating in it to loosen up and shape to my frame better. Now it is pretty comfortable as long as I'm not driving for 4 hours.

Lagamor
09-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Don't own an Alien, but I like what I hear from two good friends that each have a couple. Only thing I hear is that it's a pain to take them off, but they're so comfortable you forget that you're wearing them.
Just purchased a Talon for my Sig P938, and I couldn't be happier with it. Really impressed with the American made "Tuckable" holster. I have to mingle with an upper class "Artsy" crowd a few times a year. This thing doesn't move at all and I can tuck in the shirt too boot. Makes it very handy, pun intended.
I have also never heard of El Paso Saddlery before this thread. Color me impressed. Going to get one for my CZ-85. Any of their models work better than the others?

dragon813gt
09-30-2017, 04:18 PM
AlienGear are very hot. So if you live in a warmer climate it may be a deal breaker. I use their OWB for a G20 more than the IWB I have for a PPS. I've never been able to get it to the point where I don't know it's there. I have gotten to the point where I had to take it off immediately because it was to darn hot and uncomfortable. Crossbreed Supertuck is next on my list to try. Should have started w/ the one but I feel for the adaptability of the AlienGear.

DerekP Houston
09-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Don't own an Alien, but I like what I hear from two good friends that each have a couple. Only thing I hear is that it's a pain to take them off, but they're so comfortable you forget that you're wearing them.
Just purchased a Talon for my Sig P938, and I couldn't be happier with it. Really impressed with the American made "Tuckable" holster. I have to mingle with an upper class "Artsy" crowd a few times a year. This thing doesn't move at all and I can tuck in the shirt too boot. Makes it very handy, pun intended.
I have also never heard of El Paso Saddlery before this thread. Color me impressed. Going to get one for my CZ-85. Any of their models work better than the others?

http://talonholsters.com/talon-tuckable-bersa-thunder-iwb-holster/

Is that similar to your tuckable model? That's been a complaint of mine for my current bersa holster wonder if this would be a good replacement. Sorry for the thread-jack.

Texas by God
09-30-2017, 05:40 PM
We have open carry now so comfort is better. Before that I used DeSantis Sof tuck IWB in our microwave climate for a 9mm Shield and a P97 Ruger. Sweatstained and formfitted; inexpesive and works. On the farm I use butt forward strong side Mexican carry. YMWV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bob208
09-30-2017, 06:44 PM
I have been using a bianchi iwb for 20 years now for my browning h-p.

Bzcraig
09-30-2017, 09:00 PM

I too use a Supertuck and like it so much it will be my only IWB holster. Quality is great, great warranty and they offer a LEO/military discount.

dubber123
10-01-2017, 08:05 AM
I have a Crossbreed Mini Tuck for my Shield, and it is VERY comfortable after the break in period. The big thing to me in an IWB holster is that it be rigid enough to not collapse when the gun is drawn, that makes re holstering a pain.

smokeywolf
10-01-2017, 09:11 AM
I have too great a love for leather to switch to Kydex. Never was comfortable with a IWB holster when I was skinny, medium or now that I'm fat. This is the last holster I bought...

https://www.tuckerandbyrd.com/proddetail.php?prod=fp-tb-1

alamogunr
10-01-2017, 03:04 PM
I hope the post keep coming. I've about been convinced that I should try to make my best decision on a different holster for each of the S&W Shields(9mm & .45ACP). Hopefully, one will be best and the other not too bad. Then I can get some experience with both before I sink any more $$. Maybe both will be good.

I appreciate all the posts with real experience. Thanks, dragon813gt, I might not have found out about Alien being hot for several months.

dragon813gt
10-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Just so you know in a smaller guy at 5'9" 145#. Maybe my issue is because the holster covers a greater percentage of my body. But I have heard the same complaint a few other times. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying any brand. Because holsters are more person dependent then even the gun selection.

alamogunr
10-01-2017, 04:57 PM
OK! So it may work for 6'1" 205#. Yours wasn't the only caution. I went back and looked at the Alien Gear site. The "Shape Shifter" concept looked a little bit complicated. Not sure complicated is good. I've always been more impressed by "simple that works".

dragon813gt
10-01-2017, 05:13 PM
I don't have the shape shifter. I had no clue what it was so I had to look it up. I have a Cloak Tuck 3.0 and one of their dedicated OWB holsters. But the OWB takes the same shells as the IWB. For someone that changes guns constantly I can see the appeal of the shells. They exchange them for free. Kind of fell for the marketing. But I don't ever sell a gun so the shells have little appeal. Seemed like a good idea but the only one I've swapped back and forth is the OWB.

Another complaint of mine is their branding. I find the alien head to be quite childish and very prominent. From a business standpoint I fully understand why they do it. As a consumer I can't stand it. I know what brand it is. It's an IWB holster that no one is supposed to see. A more subdued logo would have been more to my liking.

Because of this thread I finally ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck. Hopefully it's more comfortable to wear.

sawinredneck
10-01-2017, 06:00 PM
A couple of my friends have Alien holsters and are very happy with them, of course they aren't regular carriers.
I got a Galco King tuk, https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/278327/galco-king-tuk-holster?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting%20-%20Holsters%20%26%20Belts&utm_content=278327&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting%20-%20Holsters%20%26%20Belts-_-Galco-_-278327&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpMLOBRC9ARIsAPiGeZDTgMCDb_IX3Uf5U_g3 V_NuL5ZIaom3TF87WsPTizkd_bI7fUInTsIaAvn8EALw_wcB I use it for my Delta Elite. I honestly have to reach back and feel if the gun is there because it's so comfortable on me! I really, really like it! I'm 5' 11" 260lbs.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-02-2017, 08:19 PM
I have this holster for my Sig p938 and for my 1911 http://epsaddlery.com/product/c-force-covert-force-holster/ for my 1911 It's great not so for my smaller sig
It works its way out just not enough barrel to keep it in pants for a smaller gun this works good for me https://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxtuck-hybrid-iwb-holster/

alamogunr
10-02-2017, 11:41 PM
There seems to be a similarity among several of the synthetic material holsters that have been mentioned in this thread. At least that is the impression I get just looking at the web sites. I guess it is like dragon813gt said: "hopefully it will be more comfortable".

I guess I will have to take the same approach and just order one and "hopefully it will be more comfortable".

tja6435
10-03-2017, 08:31 AM
I use Alien Gear holsters every day. The synthetic back or metal cored back didn't do it for me, way too hot and made for too much sticking when hot outside. The leather backs are perfect for me, no sticking when hot and plenty thick enough to prevent the gun rubbing. I carry 100% of the time I have pants on.

charlie b
10-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Holsters are so personal that you really just have to try one and see if you like it.

Also, how you carry. Hip, shoulder, SOB, pocket, ankle.

My SP101 I liked carrying in a pancake. It was close enough to the body that a loose shirt would hide it. When I would be driving most of the day or out fishing it went in a shoulder holster (old Bianchi).

The .45 Commander went in a Milt Sparks Executive IWB when I felt the need to carry it.

My smaller PPK goes in an IWB clip holster. I made mine out of leather but it is similar to many others.

For the one comment, why do you need to be able to reholster with one hand? From a civilian point of view, if I pull the gun out I either will not be putting it back in the holster (a shooting happens and it is taken as evidence) or I will have plenty of time to safe it and reholster using both hands. If a LEO then I do understand, have to hold perp and reholster gun to apply cuffs.

Leather vs synthetic. I would take a synthetic for most cases if was buying a holster. When I make my own it is leather.

dubber123
10-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Holsters are so personal that you really just have to try one and see if you like it.

Also, how you carry. Hip, shoulder, SOB, pocket, ankle.

My SP101 I liked carrying in a pancake. It was close enough to the body that a loose shirt would hide it. When I would be driving most of the day or out fishing it went in a shoulder holster (old Bianchi).

The .45 Commander went in a Milt Sparks Executive IWB when I felt the need to carry it.

My smaller PPK goes in an IWB clip holster. I made mine out of leather but it is similar to many others.

For the one comment, why do you need to be able to reholster with one hand? From a civilian point of view, if I pull the gun out I either will not be putting it back in the holster (a shooting happens and it is taken as evidence) or I will have plenty of time to safe it and reholster using both hands. If a LEO then I do understand, have to hold perp and reholster gun to apply cuffs.

Leather vs synthetic. I would take a synthetic for most cases if was buying a holster. When I make my own it is leather.

I was one who mentioned preferring a carry holster to be rigid so that it doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. A lot of people carry guns that basically have no safety, such as the Glock, or numerous other ones without a manual safety. Stuffing a Glock back into a collapsed, inexpensive holster has made for an extra hole in a few owners. My Shield is basically the same.

If I had a holster that collapsed when I drew the gun, I would basically have to undo my belt and pants, and remove the holster to get the gun back in safely. That's a royal pain on a good day, and doubly so when I am practicing my draw. Just my thoughts.

jcren
10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Btw, on the Cook, I have the comfort model that comes with belt loop/tabs. High and Tight OWB. And ordered the optional belt clips which I install on the front to carry IWB.

bedbugbilly
10-03-2017, 07:05 PM
I have no dog in this fight but just a general observation. We all, over time, end up spending a bunch of $$ on different handguns (for those that carry) until we find the "perfect" one - which rarely exists as you can always find "something" you don't like about a handgun. LOL But, I've read many posts on "what holster would you use" and I think that many end up spending just as much or more trying to find the "perfect" holster. I've seen "used" holsters advertised on here and other places and you can tell that the person went through 4 or 5 different ones until the found what they like.

I've never been able to carry IWB - just uncomfortable for me. I do leather work and have made quite a few holsters for others (strictly as a hobby) and the one thing I have found is that everyone has an opinon on what is best (in their view). Just remember that what works for one does not necessarily work for another well. IMHO, there are some features that are important, regardless of if you carry IWB or OWB. You wanted retention (so your weapon is not going to fall out if you bender or so it will "work out" of the holster. You want it go be "safe" - i.e. - if you are going to carry a pocket pistol in a pocket, make sure whatever you carry it in covers the trigger but allows you to easy withdraw the weapon fro the pocket with getting hung up. Good retention will also negate the need for a thumb break or a safety strap - but if you feel more "secure" or "safe", with either of those, then by all means make sure that what you buy has those features. You want the holster to be "stiff" enough so that once your weapon has been drawn, it is not a struggle to reholster nor do you need to use both hands to re-holster. Re-holstering is something that should practiced so that you don't need to turn and look to do it.
another feature is to make sure that the trigger is covered - and don't crucify me for saying that as yes, it depends on the weapon. If you feel safe carrying a DA revolver without the trigger covered, fine. The same for a semi but not if a gentle pull on the trigger is going to cause a discharge. (accidents do happen). And as mentioned, a holster is only as good as the belt that is holding it - regardless of if it is IWB or OWB. And remember, while one holster may work well for a person IWB, it will often depend on where you carry IWB - appendix, 3 or 4 o'clock, cross draw, etc.

Even making holsters, I have also spent many $$ on commercially made ones trying to find the "perfect" one. Some like leather, some like Kydex, etc Fortunately, for the states that I hold either a CCW or CPL, they also allow open carry - but I prefer not to advertise. I only carry OWB - normally a Smith model 36 J frame 0 either a snub or a 3", a 9mm Shield or sometimes a Smith Combat Masterpiece. But, my lifestyle and clothing allow for a shirt tail or a jacket to cover it. Even though I could and have made my own holsters, I finally discovered that for me, a Fobus paddle holster works the best with all of the handguns I might carry. Good retention, covered triggers, easy draw and re-holstering, lightweight and easy on and off the belt. But that's me and the next person may prefer something totally different.

Whatever you end up with, practice, practice and then practice some more on your drawing and re-holstering (with your weapon unloaded) until it becomes second nature to you. In a SD situation, micro seconds count on you being able to draw quickly to engage and if you have to stumble around to get your weapon out, you may not end up the winner. A lot of folks "carry" but not all of them practice nor are they prepared to react and access their weapon quickly . . . and even ore fail to practice with their weapon at the range.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

LUCKYDAWG13
10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
just a link for you to look at https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/smith-wesson-shield-9-40/right-hand/

Mackay Sagebrush
10-03-2017, 09:52 PM
I don't bother with gimmicky guns or carry gear. I tend to stick with very simple, very practical, high quality equipment. For holsters, I don't have an issue with a high quality piece of kydex, but many of the so-called "holster makers" out there, with their riveted leather and plastic things are not what I would consider professional grade gear.

I stick with known quality, like Milt Sparks.

It may cost a bit more up front, but I know what I am getting in a proven design, and know it will be built to last for generations.

https://i.imgur.com/i4f97Kl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LFBYkoN.jpg

Buying cheap "hybrid" holsters has always seemed like just throwing money away to me.

DerekP Houston
10-03-2017, 10:04 PM
just a link for you to look at https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/smith-wesson-shield-9-40/right-hand/

So I see they are trading on the crossbreed brand, but the FAQ says they aren't associated with them? I'm not really a fan of encouraging that type of behavior. I did pick up a new lcp II 380 so I'm in the market for another holster.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-04-2017, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=DerekP Houston;4168502]So I see they are trading on the crossbreed brand, but the FAQ says they aren't associated with them? I'm not really a fan of encouraging that type of behavior. I did pick up a new lcp II 380 so I'm in the market for another holster.[/QUOTE

I do not think that they are knockoffs I have one and it's well made more like ones that were returned or had a cosmetic flaw I think that i read somewhere
that the wife was selling them but i could be wrong on that

Love Life
10-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Mernickle, Milt Sparks, Exodus Gunleather.

Kydex is for gaming, lol. Ok, kydex can/has been used to create great carry holsters, but quality leather holsters get more phone numbers from the ladies. They see that fine leather, and immediately understand you are a man of substance and possibly means. Then they start to wonder if you have a personal library finished in rich mahogany. Then they start to want to see the library in person. Next thing you know, ladies are chasing you down to give you their phone number; and all because you have a finely made and finished leather holster.

Go with leather...

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 09:03 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/dKpTkya14ysJq/giphy.gif

Love Life
10-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Perzactly

charlie b
10-07-2017, 09:39 PM
I was one who mentioned preferring a carry holster to be rigid so that it doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. A lot of people carry guns that basically have no safety, such as the Glock, or numerous other ones without a manual safety. Stuffing a Glock back into a collapsed, inexpensive holster has made for an extra hole in a few owners. My Shield is basically the same.

If I had a holster that collapsed when I drew the gun, I would basically have to undo my belt and pants, and remove the holster to get the gun back in safely. That's a royal pain on a good day, and doubly so when I am practicing my draw. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the response.

I have no trouble reholstering with two hands when practicing. One to hold open the slot and then push the pistol in. Even with an IWB it has not been an issue for me.

The later response about gun types I also understand. I also know that I am VERY careful when reholstering. I do NOT try to reholster without looking down. It is not a timed act.

So, no, I do not need a concealed holster that 'stays open' after drawing the pistol.

Plate plinker
10-07-2017, 09:51 PM
I make my own. Before I bought a Nossar and that was before his prices went into orbit.

texasnative46
10-07-2017, 10:17 PM
alamogunr,

Holsters/belts by El Paso Saddlery are HARD to beat. = My EPS gun-belt is over 2 decades old & it still works fine. - Imo, it PAYS to buy QUALITY in the long run.
(NO IWB holster is comfortable to me. - I wear a "tortilla-style" OWB holster by EPS essentially 24/365, to carry my little 9mm S&W Shield or my Sig-Sauer P225 in 9x19mm. - Both "disappear without a trace" under my usual garb of golf shirt/jeans/sneakers. = Any number of my friends are SURPRIZED when they find out that I'm almost always carrying a concealed handgun.)

yours, tex

charlie b
10-11-2017, 07:23 AM
'tortilla style' :) I like that.