PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die problem......

3006guns
09-30-2017, 07:39 AM
I have a Lyman M die that I use for opening up 7.7 Jap and .303 Brit. cases for cast boolits. So far it's worked admirably, but on my last batch of cases it started suddenly flaring the case mouths wildly. I changed adjustments several times before it occurred to me to take it apart. I found the sizing mandrel had unscrewed a turn or two, so I tightened it down. Problem solved, right? Not so.....within another 20 cases the over-flaring started again and, sure enough, the mandrel was loose.

I'm sure not going to crank that thing down with pliers and ruin the ground finish, so I was thinking of something like nail polish on the threads to prevent movement. Thread lockers, like LocTite are a no no as they require heat to break the bond if the mandrel needs to be changed. A nail polish bond can be broken with the fingers.

Another idea might be the world's smallest lock washer, as used on model airplanes.

Any ideas out there to keep this thing tight?

farmerjim
09-30-2017, 08:04 AM
I have had the same problem. Use blue loctite in the threads.

GrayTech
09-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Wrap a piece of leather around the mandrel, grab with pliers and crank it down. The low strength loctite never hardens fully, it stays soft and just creates a lot of drag on the threads.

Maven
09-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Blue Loctite solved my M-die problems as well.

ReloaderFred
09-30-2017, 10:52 AM
I also used the blue Loc-Tite to solve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred

308Jeff
09-30-2017, 10:53 AM
The first thing I do when I buy a new M Die is apply blue Loctite to the threads.

3006guns
09-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys.............blue Loc-Tite it is. I'm only familiar with the other grades, which can permanently lock the threads.

Smoke4320
09-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Blue will break loose with a simple wrench (or in this case leather and pliers) .. no heat needed

mdi
09-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Actually there are other thread lockers available if you don't have Loc-Tite on hand. You can dab some nail polish on the threads which will hold or super glue, epoxy etc. Just clean the threads with brake clean (or acetone, lacquer thinner, any solvent that will leave no residue) before application. You can try just cleaning the threads and tightening the mandrel. Clean, oil free threads hold much better than any with oil on them...

Motor
10-05-2017, 04:53 AM
You can use a little Teflon pipe tape as well I believe.

There is no need to fear most Loc-Tite products. Most normal ones will let go if heated. It's actually amazing how many different ones they make.

Motor

dragon813gt
10-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Blue requires no heat to break free. It's the most versatile one they offer.

Kestrel4k
10-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Clear nail polish is $1 at the local dollar store; have been using it for years & it performs perfectly.

KenT7021
10-05-2017, 04:02 PM
I use VC-3 thread locker.It functions like a self locking nut and be disassembled and reassembled without loosing the locking ability.

gwpercle
10-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Wrap a piece of leather around the mandrel, grab with pliers and crank it down. The low strength loctite never hardens fully, it stays soft and just creates a lot of drag on the threads.

And/or pad the pliers teeth, leather , duct tape, just use anything to keep from marring the metal. Once it's good and tight it will stay tight. The nail polish, just a little will help, with the padded pliers and some elbow grease , that will stop the unscrewing.
I fixed a set of old slip joint pliers buy grinding the sharp teeth off and gluing leather to the jaws and keep it next to press for tightening and loosening die parts for adjustments. Works well.
Gary

brassrat
10-10-2017, 09:09 PM
I use tiny O-rings and tighten well