PDA

View Full Version : New to me Wheelweight

lightman
09-29-2017, 04:49 PM
I've slowly been sorting through 20 buckets of weights and I've run across a couple that I have never seen before. A couple are very shiny and I'm pretty sure they are chrome plated. These are much shinier than new lead weights. The only marks are a number 25. Another type that I have not seen has no clip but there is a groove in the weight for a clip on clip. I've also picked some clips of this type out of the bucket. I will save a couple of the plated ones. Has anyone found either of these and do you know the composition of the ones without the clip? They are too thin to get a good reading with my hardness tester.

At this point, this is only idle curiosity as there are not enough of them to matter. Idle minds.............

AggieEE
09-29-2017, 05:00 PM
I think the chromed ones may fit on the oversized chrome wheels, you know the ones that cost more than the car they are on. The other ones no idea. Just make sure they are not zinc. Steel won't melt and the composition ones don't really melt just get messy.

CASTER OF LEAD
09-29-2017, 05:27 PM
I've slowly been sorting through 20 buckets of weights and I've run across a couple that I have never seen before. A couple are very shiny and I'm pretty sure they are chrome plated. These are much shinier than new lead weights. The only marks are a number 25. Another type that I have not seen has no clip but there is a groove in the weight for a clip on clip. I've also picked some clips of this type out of the bucket. I will save a couple of the plated ones. Has anyone found either of these and do you know the opposition of the ones without the clip? They are too thin to get a good reading with my hardness tester.

At this point, this is only idle curiosity as there are not enough of the to matter. Idle minds.............

Try to cut the weights in question with a pair of side cutters. You should be able to cut Into the edges easily if it is lead. I use the ends first to put a small cut into the weight. Then if it goes easily I cut to a little bit more just to be sure. I have not seen chrome plated ones ,but I have seen some with other various coatings on them. That stuff burns off when I smelt. ( of course after I determine that they are lead). I also use muriatic acid if I can to check questionable weights . Zinc will bubble when it is in contact with the acid. Hope this helps- CASTER

Uncle Grinch
09-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Now a days you never know what to expect in wheelweights, especially clip on style. Used to you could depend on WW's being a good source for lead. Now they are contaminated with zinc, which can ruin a smelted pot. Take a look at this thread. It should help you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139839-Guide-to-Hand-Sorting-Wheel-Weights

lightman
09-29-2017, 09:26 PM
They are both defiantly lead. I just can't tell if the weight with the removable clip is clip on hardness or stick on hardness. Until I get more than I have it does not really matter. I was just curious if anyone else were finding these.

I found pictures of the weight that uses the detachable clip but it does not state the composition. It feels soft though. Like I said, the alloy does not really matter what with the small amount of these that I'm finding. The chrome plated one was cool and I'll save one of them.

jsizemore
09-30-2017, 08:46 AM
I haven't seen a clip removable COWW yet. You got a picture? I did get a COWW this past week that had Pb cast on it. I'm curious if it's pure!!!

GrayTech
09-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I haven't seen a clip removable COWW yet. You got a picture? I did get a COWW this past week that had Pb cast on it. I'm curious if it's pure!!!No pure is too soft for clip type weights. Check the clip type alloy composition thread.

jsizemore
09-30-2017, 01:20 PM
No pure is too soft for clip type weights. Check the clip type alloy composition thread.

This one is different then any I have seen before.

lightman
09-30-2017, 05:20 PM
I'm not home to post a picture right now but there is a picture in the sorting wheelweights thread. About the 5th row of pictures down.

mac1911
09-30-2017, 07:47 PM
several years ago our tire supply place tried getting us to buy the universal wheel weights...basically you get the weight it self then an assortment of clips for the different rims. They did not save us any money or time so we never bothered.

here is what they tried to push on us...all though these are European type the "universal" set up was very much like these.

https://www.alltiresupply.com/collections/wheel-weights/products/aa-wheel-weight-bmn-type-coated

jsizemore
09-30-2017, 08:53 PM
I'm not home to post a picture right now but there is a picture in the sorting wheelweights thread. About the 5th row of pictures down.

All those I've seen have been either plastic or zinc. I've seen lots, probably a half dozen in each bucket I sort.

lightman
10-01-2017, 08:18 AM
These are the first lead that I've found and look like the one Mac posted the link to. Before now, all of this type that I have found were plastic. I think these are pretty soft. A bucket of weights is like a box of chocolate sometimes (Forrest Gumps Mom)! LOL

ioon44
10-01-2017, 08:24 AM
I always find a new style of zinc ww when I get a bucket of coww, so I have to pay attention more so as not to miss the zinc ww.

If I am not sure about a new weight I go for the side cutters.

jsizemore
10-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Used to be truck COWW were safe because they all Pb alloy. Most I get now are Zn.

David2011
10-03-2017, 08:37 PM
I was given a bucket of chrome plated WW that has adhesive strips on the back, made in the '70s. It seems to be soft pure under the chrome.

sqlbullet
10-04-2017, 10:14 PM
I have seen the occasional isotope generator that is chrome plated as well. Also usually pure lead underneath.