PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Alone

Hickory
09-28-2017, 07:18 PM
The woods I use to hunt was no good the last two year, because there was a hog farm built right up against it. Fall seems to be the time the honey wagon makes its rounds and and deer in and around the area seem to go on vacation when the manure hits the ground.

I'd thought about going to southern Ohio this fall to hunt, but I can't find anyone to go with me. My wife won't let me go alone because of my health I find myself with no place to hunt and no one to go with.

So, my question is this, is there anyone in the southern part of Ohio that could point me to a good spot to hunt and know exactly where I'm at and could drag my body out of the woods for my wife if I don't answer my cell phone at night.

I'll stay at a camping place and do for myself, I'm not crippled up and can take care of myself, I just want my wife to be at ease while I'm hunting and not worried that I might die in the woods and not know where I'm at. Women worry too much.

Rcmaveric
09-28-2017, 08:32 PM
I give my wife a map with stickers showing where i am. Then tell her if I am not home by midnight on said to call a list of contacts i gave her. If i die in the woods she knows i went out happy doing what i love. She doesnt like it, but it gives her peace. I dont have cell service in the woods so if i get stuck in the mud or mauled it could be days before i am found.

osteodoc08
09-28-2017, 08:36 PM
I leave a plan at home for family and let my brother know when I'm in the woods and out.

Our local EMS found a missing person that died in his ATV last week after missing for 5-6 days. He didn't leave a plan and his wife had no idea where he went. Finally found him slumped over his handlebars on flat ground with the ATV ran out of gas.

Yes women worry too much at times.

Zeebob
09-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Get yourself a gps SPOT and you can be in touch with your wife everyday and let her know u are ok and exactly where u are...your spot message will show up on her computer with a map showing your location anywhere in the world. U can use it to call 911 too! My buddy in Alaska uses one all the time and I'm thinking about getting on for myself. And I just hunt the Ozarks by myself a few hours from home..

lightman
09-28-2017, 09:03 PM
If I were near you I would gladly hook up with you. As we get older it never hurts to have a buddy close by or at least have an emergency contact plan in place. Sometimes women worry for a reason!

kens
09-28-2017, 09:13 PM
I hunt by myself alot. I let the wife know where Im going, what time to expect me to be back.
I will say, that I have quit using tree climber stands, I now use ladder stands, and or, ground blinds.

pill bug
09-29-2017, 12:30 AM
Hi Hickory, Saw your picture in the community album. If that pic is current, you are looking fit, healthy and happy. Which is great. A few months ago, just after your Hawaii trip, I remember you having a health issue that required a short stay in the hospital. Was hoping you were feeling better. So this post is a welcome update. Being willing to go to a new area and camp and hunt on your own is a nice indicator that you are doing good .

That being said, your wife is taking a sensible precaution for anyone our age venturing into unfamiliar woods. Fortunally Hickory, I'm thinking southern Ohio has plenty of like minded individuals that would be happy to point you in the right direction and keep an eye out for you. Just have to reach out to places like this and perhaps some rod and gun clubs and make a connection. I'm interested to hear what you find.

Hickory
09-29-2017, 01:04 AM
Here's the rundown, two of my friends have their own plans this year, another is not hunting and my last friend had a stroke this past February and is done hunting also.
I went down to Athens, Vinton and Hocking county's in July where I used to hunt and asked for permission from about a couple dozen places, but found out that most land is under lease or no longer allow hunting.
There's always public land or National Forest but my experience has been that these places attract some of the worst types of hunters, people who will shoot at anything that moves or makes a sound.
But, mostly I need to reassure my wife that I'm not alone in the woods. I just don't want to sneak off and get caught, if there's one thing I've learned after 40 years of marriage, it's this, women don't like sneaky men. Especially redheaded women. Unlike a 4th of July celebration, the fireworks don't stop after an hour.

OnHoPr
09-29-2017, 02:23 AM
Hey Hickory, I just got an idear. My health has been failing as well in the last few years. Three years ago it was a bad disc. I couldn't even sit in a chair for a year. Then last year it was pneumonia which trigger COPD. I went once squirrel huntin 3 years ago and fell asleep under a tree after a little while because of so many OTC pain meds. Last year I went deer huntin twice just to say I was out in the woods huntin. They were nice sunny 65 degree days, probably just north of you 100 miles. This year the back is just giving that warming electric notification when I twist or pick something up to heavy, but at least I am semi mobile. But, the COPD won't let me walk for much more than a 100 yds before I have to get oxygen resaturation. Both together kinda puts the dragging a deer out of the woods on hold. The only way I would even think about deer hunting is if was a guaranteed DRT and a slight downhill trek to the car with a nice trail or cleaner hardwoods floor where I would just have to guide a deer cart downhill. I made the cart, but finding an even wishing harvest spot is time consuming let alone stand hours.

Enough rambling, back to the idear. MI has a hunter access program that has been around since the '70s. MI has also implemented another program with farmers to have hunters do crop damage hunting, or the like. I just did a flash of the eye
google check and check out this link.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/news-announcements/post/web-based-hunter-access-program-available-august-26

Since it is new it may be quite the look into. Back when MI's HAP started it was pretty decent. Farms get rotate for whatever reasons and certain farms or properties can produce game. I shot 3 or 4 deer on these type properties in the previous years before the health issues. Call your DNR to see if there are any other programs of the like. It is public hunting, but it is not like the pumpkin patch hunting that is sometimes rightfully so portrayed on the NFs or SFs (public).

Now, back to a little rambling. So, I decided to after 17 years out of the marsh to buy a duck stamp this year. I can launch a boat, throw out 5 dozen dekes, and grab my ole Olt D2 and call "here duck, here duck", sit in a boat and shoot ducks, divers if I have to. I am still trying to get my gear going for the opener after 17 years. A lot more stuff, little things, need to be addressed for duck hunting various public waters than deer hunting. Maybe no more errrrrppp errrrrppps and rattlin, but quack quacks. I did go out for the evening of the teal opener with no expectations and said "I can do this". I did go out for squirrels on the opener and harvested a couple of fox squirrels for the first time in about 4 years. :Fire:[smilie=w:

RugerFan
09-29-2017, 03:50 AM
Get yourself a gps SPOT and you can be in touch with your wife everyday and let her know u are ok and exactly where u are...your spot message will show up on her computer with a map showing your location anywhere in the world. U can use it to call 911 too! My buddy in Alaska uses one all the time and I'm thinking about getting on for myself. And I just hunt the Ozarks by myself a few hours from home..

BINGO! I also use one here in Alaska and it really puts my wife's mind at ease. I got the tracking option, so she can watch my travels online. Every evening I hit the "I'm OK" button which sends that right to her cell phone (through satellite). Since we generally don't have cell reception in the mountains, tundra or ocean, this comes in very handy.

Hickory
09-29-2017, 04:28 AM
Hi Hickory, Saw your picture in the community album. If that pic is current, you are looking fit, healthy and happy.

This is kinda what my Doc. says.
She said once, "For someone with so many things wrong you, you're in pretty good shape."
Picture is about a month old.

Moleman-
09-29-2017, 06:07 AM
I give mine a google map pic with red dots where my treestands are at. The Pic has the road it's on and a cross street listed along with the farmers phone number. The cell service is spotty so I can't count on calling for help. That GPS spot sounds like a winner. After 4 back surgeries I'm not as spry as I used to be and try to take every advantage available to make sure #5 gets put off as long as possible. Game cart, ramp for the game cart, rope and pulleys to get the game cart up the ramp, elec winch in the barn to get the deer out of my truck and hang it. Takes a little longer but worth it to not be sore for weeks.

smokeywolf
09-29-2017, 08:04 AM
I used to spend quite a bit of time on horseback out in the lonesome; just me and old Stormy horse. Wouldn't go alone now. Too old, too infirm.

If I were within a day's drive, I'd join you Hickory.

Hickory
09-29-2017, 10:28 AM
If I were within a day's drive, I'd join you Hickory.

Well, I'm not wanting anyone to go hunting with me, but thanks just the same, just someone to point out a good place for me to hunt.
I've done a lot of hunting over the years by myself and will this fall also. However, my wife just wants to know I'm safe and that there is a contact close by.
I'll keep looking and may find someone eventually.

smokeywolf
09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
Hickory said,

I'd thought about going to southern Ohio this fall to hunt, but I can't find anyone to go with me. My wife won't let me go alone because of my health I find myself with no place to hunt and no one to go with

Don't know how I could have misunderstood you.:veryconfu

Hickory
09-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Hickory said,

I'd thought about going to southern Ohio this fall to hunt, but I can't find anyone to go with me. My wife won't let me go alone because of my health I find myself with no place to hunt and no one to go with
Don't know how I could have misunderstood you.

Yes I did say that. But I was referring to people in this area whom I know and might be willing to go with me.
But it soon became obvious that no one here was gonna say "Hey, I know a place close by where you might go deer hunting without being charged by a game warden with trespassing or hunting without permission."
I think that they were thinking that I wanted to move in with them for a week and hunt their favorite deer stand, which I wasn't.
Camping in the woods for a week would not be a hardship for me as a matter of fact I want to do it and would enjoy it even if I wasn't successful in getting a deer.

gwpercle
09-29-2017, 02:55 PM
I take the wife , makes the sleeping bag warmer !

smokeywolf
09-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Hickory, wasn't trying to invite myself along. I'm well over 2,000 miles away from you.
I hope you find the right place and the right hunting partner. Also hope to see some pics of nice buck or doe that you harvested; hopefully with a cast boolit.

waksupi
09-30-2017, 11:59 AM
I've hunted these mountains for nearly 40 years, generally alone, and no one has any idea where I am, or where to look. Dumb, but I enjoy the solitude. Some day I may end up like this.

swheeler
09-30-2017, 12:11 PM
I've hunted these mountains for nearly 40 years, generally alone, and no one has any idea where I am, or where to look. Dumb, but I enjoy the solitude. Some day I may end up like this.

Frenchie Joe never came back!:-) I too have hunted alone for many years, not so much any longer daughter usually wants to go. Many a time a pack frame, rifle and a small tarp for shelter was good for a week.

Suo Gan
09-30-2017, 01:36 PM
I guess that is is dumb to hunt alone and not tell anyone where I am except in general 30 to 50 square mile circumference. Lots of times I have no cell service, I hunt public land and sometimes the location is like to hunt is taken by another hunter (vehicle parked), some of the large game I hunt is migratory and not necessarily where they "should" be so I need to move my location, sometimes by fifty miles to hunt in the game zone. I heard about the guy who had the rock fall on his arm. How he sawed off his arm with his knife to make it out of the woods alive. I've heard about heart attacks in the woods, seizures, severe cuts, etc. you just never know I guess.

I've always done it this way. Those of us who view cell phones as new gadgets are probably the main culprits.

I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.

ascast
09-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Hickory, You can come to my place, upstate ny, about 12hr drive. I am over run with deer, you can use my cabin ( needs cleaning) no running water, wood stove and propane cooking, no electric, out house
out of state tags are on you, or not. You got 4 wheel? if not use mine. I have good radios, NO cell phone, bring yours
PM me your intesested

MyFlatline
09-30-2017, 07:22 PM
odd that you say the deer move from the hog farm...Some of the best hunting here is right by the county landfill, will gag a maggot just driving by but lot's of nice bucks taken there.

Hickory
09-30-2017, 09:22 PM
odd that you say the deer move from the hog farm...Some of the best hunting here is right by the county landfill, will gag a maggot just driving by but lot's of nice bucks taken there.
The same outfit that has the hogs, owns the woods and they deposit their dead hogs in the woods which in turns draws coyotes and the coyotes harass the deer and the deer just don't like coyotes eating their young and getting harassed.

10x
10-01-2017, 09:44 AM
If I can drive alone to where I will be hunting, I can hunt alone once I get there.
Folks can have a medical event no mater where they are or who they are with.

Having some one with you can increase their chance of survival if they have a medical emergency

snowwolfe
10-01-2017, 10:53 AM
If you want to find a place close to you do one of three things:
1. Find a new friend that has property over ridden with deer. You do this by going door to door.
2. Buy yourself a small piece of property
3. Buy into a hunting lease

Or PM ascast, his offer was outstanding

merlin101
10-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Or PM ascast, his offer was outstanding

Yeah boy! I kinda wonder if ascast needs a new best friend?

claude
10-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.

Well said.

Hickory
10-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Plan A, is not working.
Plan B, is yet to be defined.

runfiverun
10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
if you could make it out here I could point you in a few different directions.
[all public land]

I think I have my general area narrowed down this fall.
If the weather isn't too bad I'm gonna throw on the back pack and head into a new area for a few day's.
there isn't any cell service there but I could see the lights of town at night if I chose to walk up on the ridgeline.

Hickory
10-01-2017, 06:53 PM
if you could make it out here I could point you in a few different directions.
[all public land]

I think I have my general area narrowed down this fall.
If the weather isn't too bad I'm gonna throw on the back pack and head into a new area for a few day's.
there isn't any cell service there but I could see the lights of town at night if I chose to walk up on the ridgeline.

I have been thinking about your offer, and I just might take you up on it. But, not this year, maybe next year. I'll have to check to see what's involved in getting a nonresident deer license along with the extras.

BrassMagnet
10-01-2017, 10:19 PM

I have used them, too!
Since they are satellite based, they work where cell phones don't.

Hickory
10-02-2017, 06:41 PM
I never got to plan B:
My son just called me and we talked about a lot of things, one was deer hunting. I guess I have a hunting pardner for November. I hope he gets here in time for the hunt, right now he is in Europe somewhere.
You can follow him on Instagram at planestrains_and_automobles or his wife at globetrottergrubb.

They have been on the move since we left Hawaii in June.
They should be in NW Ohio in mid November.

MyFlatline
10-02-2017, 06:59 PM
I just don't always want to be connected. I don't always want someone knowing where my butt is 24-7. I want to get lost sometimes and if I never come back, they will figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has a spouse with a disability, that still wants you to go hunt but would like to hear from you in the evenings. Yep I do, religiously, Gotta love a woman that feels that way. Everything has a twist, being connected has allowed me to travel, as before I could not.

runfiverun
10-02-2017, 11:46 PM
let me know.
out of state tags are reasonable and easy to get.
you can take a bear instead of a buck with your tag if you happen to run across one of those.

I generally pick a canyon, drive up, park, and head out for the day or for several.
sometimes I get a deer, sometimes I don't [shrug] but getting back in off the road increases my chances.

arclight
10-03-2017, 12:03 AM
I volunteer with Search & Rescue out here. To my knowledge, we have never failed to locate someone alive here who activated a SPOT, InReach or Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). If you want 2-way communication with your wife, get the Inreach. It uses the very-reliable Iridium network and they have low-cost, "occasional user" plans. You can find last-years model on eBay as well. Being able to say "I want to stay 2 more days, since the weather is bad" is really nice.

If funds are tight, the PLB will absolutely get you rescued, any time, anywhere. There is no monthly fee, it's a one-time purchase. The main disadvantage is that the only option is "call for help."

SPOT is okay, and could be a good option if there is a deal on the plan. The units are inexpensive. Expect messages to take a while to get out, and the coverage area to be a bit less than the Inreach, which is worldwide.

Arclight

MyFlatline
10-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I wonder if my SARSAT locator beacon ( EPIRB) that I use offshore would work....Hadn't thought about that.. It is registered with NOAA.

arclight
10-04-2017, 02:33 AM
I wonder if my SARSAT locator beacon ( EPIRB) that I use offshore would work....Hadn't thought about that.. It is registered with NOAA.

There's no reason it would not. It uses the same 406Mhz satellite network. PLB is the same technology as EPIRB, adapted to a more portable design and registered to a person instead of a vessel.

opos
10-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I guess I was just plain dumb...I hunted, fished the mountains and explored the Colorado mountains mostly alone for many years...no cell phones, no GPS, etc (talking the '50's and 60's)...my Wife used to get a little nervous but I did call when I came off the mountain and let her know I was on my way..just lucky ...never had any issues..then we moved to the Coast and I began offshore fishing....I really enjoy fishing offshore by myself although now I'm too old..I liked to plan my trips (fished marlin and tuna mostly) based on information I'd gather during the week and frankly didn't like to "argue" about destinations when it was my boat and my fuel and bait...Again, very lucky as I never went over..caught a number of marlin "solo" and no problems...did have a VHS radio and I guess if I got in a jam the USCG would have relayed info..also I had Vessel Assist which is a towing service in case of breakdown...

I like being alone and always have..not a hermit or a loner per se..just enjoy the peace and quiet and a little rush of adreneline when being alone and coming across a deer or elk or having a big fish grab the line.

I never encourage others to do things alone...it can be really dangerous..I had a friend go overboard when alone and died "wet" I guess watching his boat motor off over the horizon with him not in it.

Markopolo
10-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I love going alone, the solitude can't be beat.. but I do let a few folks know the general area I am going....

SSGOldfart
10-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I have used them, too!
Since they are satellite based, they work where cell phones don't.

Sir have you seen any where the spot doesn't work?
I'm thinking it could be the answer to getting back in the woods.

RugerFan
10-04-2017, 01:36 PM
A few years ago I started using the SPOT and this year bought an InReach. The SPOT is very handy, but a bit limited on messaging. With the tracking feature, the SPOT is fairly inexpensive at $150 per year. My wife can track me online with a topo map view.

A couple years ago I was hunting alone and broke a tie rod on my ATV 17+ miles into the mountains. I hit the "send help" button and my wife dutifully told my 2 hunting buddies. They knew the trail and came and found me the next morning and helped me get out. Priceless! If you get in serious trouble, the SOS button will summon search and rescue.

The InReach service is more expensive, but you can send and receive text messages to a cell phone or e-mail. Also has the same tracking feature.

Sir have you seen any where the spot doesn't work?
I'm thinking it could be the answer to getting back in the woods.

I have used my SPOT in the mountains, on the tundra and ocean. No issues.

starmac
10-05-2017, 01:12 AM
By golly some of us might not want the old woman being able to track us. lol
A few years ago a buddy and I took his jet boat and headed in search of minto lakes. Heavy on the (in search of), we did not know we were suppose to turn off the river at gold stream creek, so went on down river till we were close to empty on one tank. Well we all know it takes more gas to run up river, soooooo we didn't make it back. When we left we had jokingly told my wife if we weren't back by noon the next day to come find us (didn't tell her how or where). lol
I stayed with the boat while he walked out and drove the 1 1/2 hours to my place to get some gas cans, he left a note on her steering wheel to not come looking for us. She never knew he had come and gone until sometime after lunch she decided she should look for us and found the note. lol

On a side note, the last few years I have kept a sat phone with me in the truck, I have never used it to check in, but have it in case of emergency, iircit is around 200 every 6 months for service, and works from anywhere I have ever used it.

rondog
10-05-2017, 04:18 AM
Colorado is a pain to hunt. You have to know WHERE to go and have permission, and what Game Management Unit (GMU) it's in. Then you have to apply, in April, for a permit in that GMU, for what you want to hunt and when (archery, muzzleloader, early rifle, late rifle, etc.), and then cross all your fingers and toes and hope/wish/pray that you'll draw a tag. And you have to do this for anything/everything you want to hunt. I believe it's this way even if you had your own land to hunt on, gotta play the tag lottery to get a tag to hunt it. It's a drag, they don't make it easy.

Tripplebeards
10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
I have bow hunted solo since the mid 80's. I'm getting to the age that I will start wear a safety belt this year. At least now we have cell phones where I did not in years past.

ascast
10-10-2017, 08:00 PM
OK here's an update - although my offer was sincere, it seems that the only out of state tags that can be had are for full time college students or military personnel.

www.dec.ny.gov

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-10-2017, 08:37 PM
The woods I use to hunt was no good the last two year, because there was a hog farm built right up against it. Fall seems to be the time the honey wagon makes its rounds and and deer in and around the area seem to go on vacation when the manure hits the ground.

I'd thought about going to southern Ohio this fall to hunt, but I can't find anyone to go with me. My wife won't let me go alone because of my health I find myself with no place to hunt and no one to go with.

So, my question is this, is there anyone in the southern part of Ohio that could point me to a good spot to hunt and know exactly where I'm at and could drag my body out of the woods for my wife if I don't answer my cell phone at night.

I'll stay at a camping place and do for myself, I'm not crippled up and can take care of myself, I just want my wife to be at ease while I'm hunting and not worried that I might die in the woods and not know where I'm at. Women worry too much.

So, I have not read every post, but did you find a place to hunt in your desired location?

If not, should you wish to purchase an out-of-state license to hunt in SW KS for next year, get in contact with me. I understand many of the concerns posted here. I buried my wife two summers ago. I return each deer season to hunt deer on the farm where I grew up, and my brother still farms. He drives the county road grader. He has the only bottom land alfalfa for at least 10 miles. Yup, I'm spoiled. I do build fence, round up cattle, etc., each time I show up (at least four times a year since Mom is in the nursing home in Dodge City). And, for those that think they can sneak through town without their Mother knowing it, they ain't never had their Mother pull up alongside their pickup in her wheelchair, and tell you to "Pull it over!"

MyFlatline
10-10-2017, 08:39 PM
So, I have not read every post, but did you find a place to hunt in your desired location?

If not, should you wish to purchase an out-of-state license to hunt in SW KS for next year, get in contact with me. I understand many of the concerns posted here. I buried my wife two summers ago. I return each deer season to hunt deer on the farm where I grew up, and my brother still farms. He drives the county road grader. He has the only bottom land alfalfa for at least 10 miles. Yup, I'm spoiled. I do build fence, round up cattle, etc., each time I show up (at least four times a year since Mom is in the nursing home in Dodge City). And, for those that think they can sneak through town without their Mother knowing it, they ain't never had their Mother pull up alongside their pickup in her wheelchair, and tell you to "Pull it over!"

Made me smile...yer a good man Charlie Brown...

Hickory
10-11-2017, 03:10 PM

Just saw your post Charlie.
I've had several offers here to hunt and they're all tempting, but I think I'd rather stick closer to home this year.

Mtnfolk75
10-11-2017, 04:31 PM

I just returned from a planned 10 day Deer hunt with SWMBO and my 15 year old Grandson, it ended up only being 7 days due to a Mechanical Breakdown on the Dodge. We were camped in our 31' Travel trailer at 8,500 ft and were hunting up to 9,900 ft where there was NO Cell Service. I have owned a SPOT for about three years and used it to check-in with my Brother everyday, when the truck became disabled on Sunday evening I was able to limp it back to camp. It was 24.4* Monday morning so rather than an attempt at repair I sent the Non-Medical Stuck/Brokedown Assistance Needed Message at 0745, at 1115 a CHP Officer showed up to check on us.

He gave SWMBO a ride back down to Kernville ( 1.5 Hours ) where she was able to call my Brother. He was another 1.5 hours away from Kernville, he drove up to Kernville and brought SWMBO back up to camp where a plan was made on getting the truck recovered. He returned home and called a Tow for Tuesday morning since it was already dark, when we got the truck home I found the repair was actually pretty simple and after it was fixed SWMBO and I went back up the mountain and brought the trailer home.

With my health and age catching up with me I don't do very much Solo Back Country ATV'ing or Hunting anymore and had recently considered stopping the SPOT Service, after this I will certainly keep it. FWIW, I bought it during a Rebate Special in November 2014 for $169.95, which was COMPLETELY Rebated within 60 days. The Monthly Service plan runs $18.95 a month and includes $100K Insurance in the event a Medical Helicopter Evacuation is needed.

SSGOldfart
10-13-2017, 01:17 PM
I just returned from a planned 10 day Deer hunt with SWMBO and my 15 year old Grandson, it ended up only being 7 days due to a Mechanical Breakdown on the Dodge. We were camped in our 31' Travel trailer at 8,500 ft and were hunting up to 9,900 ft where there was NO Cell Service. I have owned a SPOT for about three years and used it to check-in with my Brother everyday, when the truck became disabled on Sunday evening I was able to limp it back to camp. It was 24.4* Monday morning so rather than an attempt at repair I sent the Non-Medical Stuck/Brokedown Assistance Needed Message at 0745, at 1115 a CHP Officer showed up to check on us.

He gave SWMBO a ride back down to Kernville ( 1.5 Hours ) where she was able to call my Brother. He was another 1.5 hours away from Kernville, he drove up to Kernville and brought SWMBO back up to camp where a plan was made on getting the truck recovered. He returned home and called a Tow for Tuesday morning since it was already dark, when we got the truck home I found the repair was actually pretty simple and after it was fixed SWMBO and I went back up the mountain and brought the trailer home.

With my health and age catching up with me I don't do very much Solo Back Country ATV'ing or Hunting anymore and had recently considered stopping the SPOT Service, after this I will certainly keep it. FWIW, I bought it during a Rebate Special in November 2014 for $169.95, which was COMPLETELY Rebated within 60 days. The Monthly Service plan runs $18.95 a month and includes $100K Insurance in the event a Medical Helicopter Evacuation is needed.

Well being wheelchair bound I only get out when I can find somebody to go with, I think the warden would let me go locally if I had a way to check in,so she can find me if needed so this thread has opened my eyes on the subject either sounds like it would work for me.[smilie=1:

ARKLITE881South
10-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Good idea with the tracking system. Worth looking into. One thing, know your limitations, you'r not 19 anymore, most of us that is. Pace yourself, enjoy the hunt, really enjoy it. "smell the roses '' type thing. Here's an example of what happened to my nephews hunting friend. He went out the first day of archery season by himself, got up in his tree stand. Not sure how much later, but, fell about 15 ft out of the stand, fractured his pelvis in a couple of places, broke ribs in 6 places and he was alone. Was able to use his cell phone to call for help. They found him, took him to the hosp, and he's home now. VERY fortunate guy, its ruined his hunt for this year. He'll heal up and, i hope he don't make the mistakes he did this time.

waksupi
10-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Good idea with the tracking system. Worth looking into. One thing, know your limitations, you'r not 19 anymore, most of us that is. Pace yourself, enjoy the hunt, really enjoy it. "smell the roses '' type thing. Here's an example of what happened to my nephews hunting friend. He went out the first day of archery season by himself, got up in his tree stand. Not sure how much later, but, fell about 15 ft out of the stand, fractured his pelvis in a couple of places, broke ribs in 6 places and he was alone. Was able to use his cell phone to call for help. They found him, took him to the hosp, and he's home now. VERY fortunate guy, its ruined his hunt for this year. He'll heal up and, i hope he don't make the mistakes he did this time.

That's why a safety harness is needed. A cousin was hunting with my brother, forgot his harness. Put a rope around his waist. My brother found him hanging from the tree when he came back. Did't hit the ground, but the rope was still darned uncomfortable.