PDA

View Full Version : Best trigger gauge who makes it?

6bg6ga
09-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Would like to hear some discussion on the best of the trigger gauges out there on the market.

Greg S
09-28-2017, 06:24 PM
I've used various methods, bird shot in a heavy duty ziplock to confirm a 500g trigger break on a match Air Pistol. I've also used the RCBS which is OK and I now use a hanging weight set that goes to 8 lbs in 1/4lb increments which is slower but precise.

6bg6ga
09-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Hanging weight set is interesting but I need something compact that I can pack in a gun bag.

tazman
09-28-2017, 07:14 PM
I have been using a Wheeler trigger gauge that I got from Midway. It isn't the best, but it reads the same as hanging weight and seems to be consistent.
It was about $20 and is small enough to carry in a range kit.

John Boy
09-28-2017, 08:38 PM
The Lyman

wv109323
09-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I have the cheaper RCBS. It must be 30 years old. It is accurate and consistent and would not take up a lot of space.

country gent
09-28-2017, 08:59 PM
The pull springs work and get you very close Lyman RCBS wheeler all make these. They give a decent repeatable pull weight. I have the rcbs and like it as it has a sliding indicator that stays at the highest point. Lymann has a digital out too.

Most match rules on trigger weight sate must lift or hold xxx lbs. Service rifle s 4 1/2 lbs. and when checked they use a hanging weight of the correct weight. I have one made with a cup that hold lead shot. shot can be trickled in to close then one piece dropped at a time until the sear trips. And then the shot cup and hanger is measured on a postal scales. I have seen the hanging weight set with 1 lb, usually 3ea, 8 ounce lb 3-4 each, 4 ounce 2 ea, and 2 ounce 2 ea. the weight of the hanger and base is the constant you can get below. These also take a steady hand to use accurately.

Reverend Recoil
09-28-2017, 09:20 PM
The Lyman electronic trigger gauge works very well. I have used it to set the triggers on several service rifles.

country gent
09-28-2017, 11:05 PM
I use my rcbs to set the service rifles triggers also but then double check them with the hang weight.

BigEyeBob
09-29-2017, 03:15 AM
Ive got a WWII
armourers trigger gauge ,been using it for years.

6bg6ga
09-29-2017, 06:57 AM
Kind of looking at the Lyman electronic and the Wheeler electronic gauges right now.

Texas by God
10-02-2017, 12:07 AM
I have the RCBS and just inherited a 40 yr old Ohaus. I like the pull break indicator on the RCBS but the old Ohaus has a better trigger hook and is half the size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sparkyv
10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
The Wheeler spring (analog) type gives very repeatable, relative results for ~$20. You can have confidence that one trigger pull is the same (or different) than another with this device.

osteodoc08
10-12-2017, 10:12 PM
I enjoy my Lyman electronic. Not sure what would be the "best" though.

jarhead0321usmc
10-12-2017, 11:21 PM
I use the RCBS. Seems to be consistent and no issues with it.

country gent
10-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Theres a lot of things that make a great trigger. Length off pull, break point, distance to the break, crispness. On a 2 stage theres also the length to first stage and then length of second stage. weight distribution between first and second stage. I have felt 4 1/2 lb triggers that feel like 2 lbs due to the short second stage and the first stage take up. Weight is important but only a small part of a great trigger

John 242
10-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Kind of looking at the Lyman electronic and the Wheeler electronic gauges right now.

I use a Lyman digital. It works well for what I do, but I have no idea how precise it is.
To get consistency, I put the gun level in a vise or rest, and make sure I'm pulling the scale straight back, with the bar inline (parallel) to the gun. A consistent pull gives consistent readings (as long as there's not something wonky with the trigger). Pull firmly to the rear, without jerking, and slowly increase pressure.

Jackpine
10-28-2017, 11:17 AM
I have an RCBS and some homemade hanging weights, made with shot at home. Was in Arizona one winter a while back and had forgotten to bring scale along. I made a stop at Walmart sporting goods and found a fishing scale with large dial. I think it was somewhere around $3. Made a 2 and 4 pound weight to test and calibrate. No stop on it, so I simply count up the scale out loud as I slowly pull. Not match accuracy, but works great when I am working on a trigger and want to see progress.

Clark
11-13-2017, 09:24 PM
I like Wagner force gauges, but they cost more than the rifle.
I have been able to collect the whole set for cheap on Ebay.

Big companies buy them, and no big companies want them used.