PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a misaligned press?

tazman
09-28-2017, 04:51 PM
When I got back into reloading a few years ago, after some time away, I bought an inexpensive(read cheap) cast iron press. It turns out the hole in the top and the ram don't line up correctly.
You can load at least some ammo on it but it creates some problems as you can imagine.
What can be done with it as far as correcting the problem? What can the press be used for the way it is?
Right now it is sitting in a box under the loading bench gathering dust.

ReloaderFred
09-28-2017, 05:57 PM
If a Ram Prime Die from RCBS or Lyman would work on it, I'd set up for just priming. I do that now on one of my Rockchuckers, and is my preferred way to prime cases.

Hope this helps.

Fred

TNsailorman
09-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Who made it and what model? If the manufacturer is still making presses, I would contact them and see what they have to say about repair(doubt if it can be repaired since it is bored off center) or maybe be wiling to swap it out for their current model. Worth a try anyway.

M-Tecs
09-28-2017, 06:43 PM
If its the type the has the bushing to reduce size to 7/8" x 14 it could be the bushing. I have seen a couple like that.

tazman
09-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Who made it and what model? If the manufacturer is still making presses, I would contact them and see what they have to say about repair(doubt if it can be repaired since it is bored off center) or maybe be wiling to swap it out for their current model. Worth a try anyway.

I don't remember the maker. It was a cheap, made in China, press I bought off Ebay. I looked up some reviews online(after I bought it of course) and found out that was typical of it.
I can't use it for decapping because the pin misses the hole, it is that far off. I might be able to use it for pulling bullets since that doesn't really need alignment to work.
I might be able to use it for a lee push through sizer depending on the direction it is misaligned. Unfortunately, I seem to remember it was off sideways.
I guess I will need to look at it and see which way it is off.

dikman
09-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Modify it to mount upside down and use it for re-sizing cast boolits? If not send it to me and I'll figure out some way of making it work.;)

marlin39a
09-28-2017, 07:32 PM
I'd junk it, end of problems. You can't be in it for much.

tazman
09-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I'd junk it, end of problems. You can't be in it for much.

That last part is true enough.

ascast
09-28-2017, 08:03 PM
send it to dikman, on his dime

tazman
09-28-2017, 08:16 PM
send it to dikman, on his dime

That would probably cost more than I paid for the press initially.

country gent
09-28-2017, 08:37 PM
I would do some measuring and see where its off and how much first. sizing if its off may cause rub on the pusher to the die. Priming the same it may give an off center push on the primer face not loading the anvils correctly.

You might be able to purchase a .010 over 7/8 14 tap and retap to an over sized thread and let the threads center it if possible. Or retap and coat die in release agent and fill threads with epoxy. run a case into the die while wet and let cure for this a .015 over tap is better but harder to find Other wise its a real chore setting it up square and true in a mill finding center and boring to use a 1 1/4" 12 bushing

OS OK
09-28-2017, 09:13 PM
boat anchor ?

lefty o
09-28-2017, 09:22 PM
if its not too far out, make it a dedicated decapping press, or ive always heard red door stops work well.

TNsailorman
09-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Back several years ago someone imported a line of reloading equipment into the U.S. called Smart Reloader or Smart Reloading (I can't exactly remember which) but I remember that there was a uproar at the time because of its shoddy workmanship. Rams would bind and hesitate as they traveled, were mostly bored off center and generally not well put together. I ask what the manufacture was because I remembered the problems being tossed around about it were the same problem you are having. I haven't seen one advertised in a few years now. A good machinist just might cure the problem but it would cost far more than the press is worth. It would as someone suggested, make a good boat anchor.

Johnny_Cyclone
09-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Didn't someone on here have one of those Smart Reloader single stations with that warpage problem. So they removed everything from the press frame (linkage ram everything).
Then used the press frame as a powder measure stand.

This https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZaSMWBHuVXg-7Z_AjuHaGc8FsIrJWkNPbZ2I_py7Jo4JYTf3X1A

to this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN3X7aZ89PJWNelwovg8CcsRvj2rjaO Wn4Y9u4cSy50vGRVK4z

3Gunnah
09-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Maybe you could set it up to do push through sizing. If the ram is off a little it probably would not bother the system.

reivertom
09-29-2017, 12:04 AM
boat anchor ?

Beat me to it..............

dikman
09-29-2017, 01:19 AM
That would probably cost more than I paid for the press initially.

You'd be right there, ol buddy!!
I bought one of those Smart Reloader presses to use for re-sizing (I think it said made in Italy). It's a knockoff of a Lee, of course, and isn't too bad except for the handle clamping arrangement, there's no way it can be tightened up enough to stop slipping. Because I wanted to use it upside down I severely modified the handle/pivot assembly, there's no way it can slip now!!

I bought it, by the way, because basic Lee presses (which to you guys are entry-level presses) are expensive down here.

LUBEDUDE
09-29-2017, 10:50 AM
The absolute best use of warped Smartloader that I have seen came from a member on this forum.
He hung it on the wall in front of his bench to remind him not to buy reloading tools made in China.

William Yanda
09-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Didn't someone on here have one of those Smart Reloader single stations with that warpage problem. So they removed everything from the press frame (linkage ram everything).

This https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZaSMWBHuVXg-7Z_AjuHaGc8FsIrJWkNPbZ2I_py7Jo4JYTf3X1A

to this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN3X7aZ89PJWNelwovg8CcsRvj2rjaO Wn4Y9u4cSy50vGRVK4z

NOW THAT'S A HEAVY DUTY STAND! (font for irony off)

bouncer50
09-29-2017, 11:36 AM
You can also use it as a nutcracker like walnuts. power stand a good idea to. I know guy who took junk and made usefully things out of them. Like one guy told me if you can not eat it save it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2017, 12:55 PM
You can also use it as a nutcracker like walnuts. power stand a good idea to. I know guy who took junk and made usefully things out of them. Like one guy told me if you can not eat it save it.

you beat me to it...
I had a china made Smart Reloader press, I don't recall the alignment being off?, but the Ram had heavy machine lines and was poorly fitted (read wabble), I used it for walnuts and butternuts...it didn't really work that well for that either, LOL...I put in on my gunshow table with a price of $1 and a label with the poor workmanship claims...and it sold :shock::veryconfu

TNsailorman
09-29-2017, 01:21 PM
I hadn't really put much thought into alternate uses for a Smart Loader but with an home made adapter plate it could also be used to crush aluminum cans to sell.

mdi
09-29-2017, 01:45 PM

to this

I was gonna ask if the press was a Smart Reloader. I bought one out of curiosity and for use as a second press for dedicated uses (depriming, priming, bullet sizing). When I got it I tried reloading 38 Special brass I had laying around. Besides the gritty feeling when operating, there was very little leverage advantage so sizing 38 Special brass was more like resizing 30 cal military cases fired in a machine gun. I also had alignment problems and had to guide every case into the die just to resize it. It now resides on a hook over my bench to remind me to never buy anything with the Smart Reloader name on it. I wish I could give a hint as to how to fix it, but some things just ain't worth the trouble...

dikman
09-30-2017, 06:32 PM
This is what I did with my Smart Reloader. Pretty solid, handle can't slip and one day I may even paint the bare metal bits!

Traffer
09-30-2017, 07:40 PM
I would strip it down and put the frame in a gas grill. Get it as hot as she will take and leave it in there for a half hour to heat up good. Then turn off the gas and wait a day to check it again. It is not a high probability of success but cast iron will return to it's original shape when heated like that SOMETIMES. It's worth a try in my book. (The paint will burn off, you may want to strip the paint first other wise you will get a lot of icky smoke that the neighbors will not appreciate.

tazman
09-30-2017, 07:43 PM
The press shows no signs of being bent or damaged. I believe it was just terribly poor machining.

jimkim
10-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Use a rubber O-ring under the locknut, and another rubber O-ring in place of the wire clip to hold the shellholder. Maybe, between the two, they will self align enough to fix(bandage) the issue. One thing that would work, requires machining. You would need to ream the hole for the ram out, and press a bushing(preferably bronze) in it. Then you would need to ream, then hone(this involves more work than it sounds like) the bushing, so it aligns with the die hole. That, is a lot of work, for something that probably isn't worth the time or effort.

Now, if you're bored, and like tinkering, like me, you can redesign and re-engineer the entire thing.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

gwpercle
10-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Door Stop.
Paper Weight.
Gift for someone you really don't like .

That nut cracker idea is a great one .

tazman
10-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Use a rubber O-ring under the locknut, and another rubber O-ring in place of the wire clip to hold the shellholder. Maybe, between the two, they will self align enough to fix(bandage) the issue. One thing that would work, requires machining. You would need to ream the hole for the ram out, and press a bushing(preferably bronze) in it. Then you would need to ream, then hone(this involves more work than it sounds like) the bushing, so it aligns with the die hole. That, is a lot of work, for something that probably isn't worth the time or effort.

Now, if you're bored, and like tinkering, like me, you can redesign and re-engineer the entire thing.

IIRC, the ram is misaligned sideways from the shellholder slot. I don't have the wherewithall to do any machining or other corrective work requiring tools to this press. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of money involved in it, relatively speaking.
I may just scrap the thing and call that a good way to help de-clutter the loading room.
Although that suggestion about giving it to someone I don't like makes some sense.

jimkim
10-02-2017, 04:53 PM
IIRC, the ram is misaligned sideways from the shellholder slot. I don't have the wherewithall to do any machining or other corrective work requiring tools to this press. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of money involved in it, relatively speaking.
I may just scrap the thing and call that a good way to help de-clutter the loading room.
Although that suggestion about giving it to someone I don't like makes some sense.Is it the frame or the ram, that is the problem. You may be able to find another ram, that fits, or can be adapted. Calling the manufacturer, would have been my first choice. Earlier, I assumed you had, or tried. My apologies.

tazman
10-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Sorry, I misspoke and did not say exactly what I was thinking.
When the ram comes to the top, it is out of line with the die hole at a 90 degree angle from the shellholder slot. Allowing the shellholder to float in the slot would not correct the problem since it is in the wrong direction. The casting does not appear to be bent or damaged in any way. It is off far enough that 38 special brass must be aligned by hand in order to enter the sizing die. With longer brass, you can actually see some bending of the brass.
Correcting this would require machining skills and equipment I do not possess.

Geezer in NH
10-08-2017, 07:40 PM
I would cut it in half with my sawzall and through it in the metal pile at my town dump.

That way it is gone so no one can recycle it for reloading. Or sell it on Egay

country gent
10-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Heres an even mor unique Idea. Stop by the local hardware store and pick up a light socket with a threaded stem install that in an old polished die and into the press a old shellholder and case in the ram. mount on the endtable and a light shade you have a very different reading lamp.