PDA

View Full Version : Maxi Ball Lube

WickedGoodOutdoors
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Just recieved my shipment of .50 cal 370 gr maxiball Maxiballs from Wisconsen

Thank You Randy!

and am ready to try them out whenever Moonsoon season ends here in Maine.

ANy ideas about the best lube to use?

Beeswax?

Crisco?

Vasiline?

a mixture?
with a squeeze of dish soap to help cleanup?

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I use 50/40/10 lard-beeswax-kerosene as both my patch lube and for Minnie's. I have no doubt that it would work for Maxi's as well. I know everyone says never use petroleum products with blackpowder but it works better for me than any store bought stuff I have tried. It even worked as well when I found out that it shouldn't.:-D Just seems to keep the residue softer than the "other butters" for easy cleanup.

Regards,
Everett

Kuato
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I never had any issues with bore butter. Always worked really well & cleanup was a breeze. Love them maxi balls & maxi hunters!

Blammer
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
50/50 beeswax and crisco always worked well for me.

Also like bore butter.

Maven
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
NECharters, You may need to test several types of lube to see which gives the best accuracy, but the easiest to remove fouling. While you can't beat the price of Crisco (white only, unsalted), I don't know how well it performs. However, I have had excellent success with Ox-Yoke's Wonder Lube and T/C's Bore Butter (a clone of Wonder Lube). Since Ox-Yoke has been taken over by Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies (1-207-943-8808), you may want to try them or search their website: www.emshootingsupplies.com For the best accuracy with Maxi-Balls, select only those with perfect bases and dry patch the bbl. after you seated them atop the powder charge, but before you've primed the piece. If you can find a 1/2" arch punch, you can try cutting wads/discs from cereal boxes and seat the Maxi-Ball on top of them since this sometimes improves accuracy.

Johnch
08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Crisco is my go to cold weather lube
Bore butter is a touch better in warmer weather ( 60 degrees or warmer ) for some reason , maybe melt temps

Neither are realy "better " than the other in either of my rifles for hunting purpuses

John

cabezaverde
08-08-2008, 06:58 PM
What powder are you planning to use?

WickedGoodOutdoors
08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Just had a Brainstorm. Ive been reading aoubt the guys using Johnson Paste wax to lube the Boolits for cartriges. Think Ill try it in the 370 Mxiball Grooves and also add a felt patch soaked in the stuff to custion and seal the base of the Boolit.

Ill try it out this weekend at the range. Hopefully Ill run across one of the guys with a cronograph and be able to get some real date on this combo and work up the perfect load.

TCLouis
08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
TC's hard lube is great, but a perfectly acceptable lube is 5/4 beeswax olive oil.

I use volume measure and finger lube my cast Maxis.

Stole the recipe from someone right here on the boolit'n board