PDA

View Full Version : reminding folks of another source of Lead

Walter Laich
09-28-2017, 04:39 PM
for us in the Houston area Harvey was a 6-foot invisible pain in the a$$

many roofs will need repair along with all the other wonderfulness that comes with a cat 5 windstorm

we have lead flashing that fits over the piles that exit the roofs. plumbing vents as well as other types all are covered with a larger outer lead covering

when the crews come to repair/replace the roofs they just put these in the trailer that hauls away the old shingles and other 'stuff'

a few $$ to a crew and they were willing to drop off all these when they were working in the subdivision.

soft as butter but still lead that can be mixed with harder alloys

Grmps
09-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Some beer can get it delivered to your door also. (nobody in my area do this please:)) Put signs in the roofing supply houses and offer to buy / trade for the lead flashing/roof jacks.

DerekP Houston
09-28-2017, 04:57 PM
huh, thats a great way of getting a silver lining from the hurricane.

lwknight
09-28-2017, 08:14 PM
You will get a little (very little) tin if you melt the joints with the tow parts.
If you really want purely pure lead you will need to cut the flashing part off the boot and cut the bottom off the boot where it is soldered to the flashing.
Personally, I just melt the whole thing. The tar makes a great flux and smells like napalm.

lightman
09-28-2017, 10:20 PM
Around here good scores sometime happen after hail storms. We have had our share the last few years.

MaryB
09-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Lot of sailboat keels too...

mac1911
09-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Lot of sailboat keels too...

these can be a pita especially when it comes with a free boat....

lightman
10-01-2017, 12:49 PM
When you're dealing with a chunk of lead that big it helps to have access to some equipment. A forklift, loader or something makes it easier.

MaryB
10-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Well ifit is already in your front yard and has to be removed... lol yes I know not funny!

these can be a pita especially when it comes with a free boat....

Nose Dive
10-09-2017, 10:17 PM
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Smell like a fresh smelt pot!

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast. Good. Kindly pick two