PDA

View Full Version : What 45 Colt Lever to Get? Marlin, Rossi, Henry?

psychbiker
09-27-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm itching to get a 45 colt lever rifle. I have a s&w 45 colt revolver, not sure the model. Figure since I cast, might as well get a rifle I can hopefully use the same boolits for.

So far I think Uberti's are out of my price range. A local shop does have one for $900 and I imagine it's been there awhile, maybe offer $800? Taxes and DROS and I'm $900.

Rossi 92 45 colts look nice but read the action is long and needs work.

What's in the $750 and below range? Or is that not going to happen?

Time Killer
09-27-2017, 07:58 PM
i think the Henry Big Boy is in that price range.

MyFlatline
09-27-2017, 08:13 PM
I love my Henry BBS short carbine. Have no regrets.

Mgderf
09-27-2017, 09:02 PM
i think the Henry Big Boy is in that price range.

You might even get it a little cheaper than that if you have a friend with an FFL that wll order one for you.
I have 4 Henry's, a Marlin, and a couple of Rossi's.

It's not even a competition.
Henry, hands down.

DougGuy
09-27-2017, 09:38 PM
After reading over the various levergun threads for the last few years, I think the Henry is the clear winner simply because it has less issues than the others.

pietro
09-27-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm itching to get a 45 colt lever rifle.

I bought two different .45 Rossi M-92's earlier this year (from different sellers), for some friends who were looking for one, for $500 each.

Additionally, I've had one for about 10 years, and have had zero issues with it.

All 3 ran like a champ, right out of the box.

If you get one, and it turns out to have cycling issues, it's fairly easy to smooth one out - get the dvd here: www.stevesgunz.com

I mounted a Skinner LoPro peepsight where the bolt top safety once resided (it zeroed in 3 shots, using the issue front sight), and replaced the rear barrel iron/open sight with a self-made dovetail slot filler made from the dovetail section of a scrounge box longleaf rear bbl sight.

https://i.imgur.com/DviVclUl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/8df4C6Um.jpg https://i.imgur.com/CwdSGdTm.jpg

therealhitman
09-28-2017, 12:09 AM
Real men use loading gates. Buy a Marlin. :-P

buckshotshoey
09-28-2017, 07:18 AM
I myself find the loading gate to be a non issue. You won't regret a Henry. A Big Boy Steel can be had for about 650. Check Buds Guns...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/96647/henry_h012c_big_boy_steel_45colt

Also don't discount a Mossberg lever gun. Many people here are very satisfied with them. And they are priced right. Not sure if they chamber one in 45 Colt though

buckshotshoey
09-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Upon further research, it seems Mossberg is only producing 30- 30's, and .22 LR in the 464. I thought they would have expanded their clambering offers by now?

Schreck5
09-28-2017, 08:19 AM
I have heard that the Henry's .45C has a much slower twist and can have accuracy problems with anything past Cowboys Action type loads. For that reason, I am considering he Rossi.

buckshotshoey
09-28-2017, 09:21 AM
I have heard that the Henry's .45C has a much slower twist and can have accuracy problems with anything past Cowboys Action type loads. For that reason, I am considering he Rossi.

The Henry is listed on the website as a 1 in 16 twist. After a short search on Rossi's website, I couldn't find the 45 Colt twist rate. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

3Gunnah
09-28-2017, 11:01 AM
I like the Rossi guns! I have a nice EMF 24 inch 1892. Shoots great with cowboy loads, I just wish it would run Schofields.

DerekP Houston
09-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Henry or Rossi would get my vote, unless you are looking for an OLD marlin not the remlins being made currently. I'd like to add a henry to my collection once the finances allow.

pietro
09-28-2017, 11:35 AM
The Henry is listed on the website as a 1 in 16 twist. After a short search on Rossi's website, I couldn't find the 45 Colt twist rate. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

The barrel twist rate for all CF Rossi leverguns is 1 turn in 30", for all calibers (.357, .44Mag, .45Colt).

18Bravo
09-28-2017, 11:49 AM
I’ve had a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt with the 20-inch barrel for several years now. It has been absolutely reliable. Scout mounted a 3-9 x 32 scope and use it primarily as a farm gun. It sees second duties as a back up to the 45/70 on pig hunts. Doing a quick search, they seem to be in short supply at the moment. A few 16” blued and stainless but few if any in the 20” versions.
Here’s a great link I use when looking for the “deals”.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/R9257008%20?view=list

Schreck5
09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=pietro;4164050]The barrel twist rate for all CF Rossi leverguns is 1 turn in 30", for all calibers (.357, .44Mag, .45Colt).

.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I knew it was something like that but wasn't sure enough to post.

Jeff Michel
09-28-2017, 02:03 PM
If your mounting a scope, Marlin. Open sights, Miroku 1892. Henry is probably ok as well. I only have one, but it's not a .45 it's in .327, but it seems to work well and is accurate. It does use a proprietary scope mount (40.00) The Marlin uses a conventional weaver base. The new Marlin Cowboy is above your price point but the standard carbine is in the running.

buckshotshoey
09-28-2017, 03:08 PM
If your mounting a scope, Marlin. Open sights, Miroku 1892. Henry is probably ok as well. I only have one, but it's not a .45 it's in .327, but it seems to work well and is accurate. It does use a proprietary scope mount (40.00) The Marlin uses a conventional weaver base. The new Marlin Cowboy is above your price point but the standard carbine is in the running.

Just for record, the Henry Big Boy Steel (manufactured after 2012?) uses the same Weaver 63B mount as the Marlin 336 and 1895 (less then 10 bucks on Midway USA). The brass Big Boy uses a cantilever type mount.

MyFlatline
09-28-2017, 05:10 PM

No issues at all for the 45 colt Henry..

As for the loading gate, I'm liking the tube better. Don't think I'm gonna have to hunker down behind my dead horse and fight off injuns any time soon.. and yes, I do own a passel of Marlins

Jeff Michel
09-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Just for record, the Henry Big Boy Steel (manufactured after 2012?) uses the same Weaver 63B mount as the Marlin 336 and 1895 (less then 10 bucks on Midway USA). The brass Big Boy uses a cantilever type mount.

Bought a Henry in 327 couple days ago and the 63B base did not fit. Hole spacing wasn't even close. The mount is not cantilevered, it mounts directly above the receiver. A cantilever mount attaches on the barrel and extends over the receiver. Possibly difference in the size of the receiver? The OP is asking about a .45 and this isn't but it is called a "Big Boy Steel" May apply, may not but something to watch if your in the market.

buckshotshoey
09-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Bought a Henry in 327 couple days ago and the 63B base did not fit. Hole spacing wasn't even close. The mount is not cantilevered, it mounts directly above the receiver. A cantilever mount attaches on the barrel and extends over the receiver. Possibly difference in the size of the receiver? The OP is asking about a .45 and this isn't but it is called a "Big Boy Steel" May apply, may not but something to watch if your in the market.

Ok. I apologize for the misinformation. All models of 30.30(H009) and 45.70 (H010) are drilled and tapped to take a Weaver 63B mount or the pickatinny style HEGW9/10PR.
Sorry.

CastingFool
09-28-2017, 11:06 PM
I have a Henry BBS in 45 Colt. I've shot woodchucks with it, longest shot 72 yds, with a Lee 452-200 RF. Got it at Bud's a couple of years ago.

psychbiker
09-29-2017, 01:01 AM
Would a Marlin limited cowboy with octagon barrel be worth $700 and driving 2 hours each way to get? Total of 8 hours of driving really. I'm not sure the barrel length though, don't think I want a 24" model.

Rifle only shot 150rds.

ReloaderFred
09-29-2017, 01:25 AM
I've seen the Marlin Cowboy Limited .45 Colt rifles go for as much as $1,300 on GunBroker, so yes, it's worth it. I've got two of the Marlin Cowboy Limited rifles in .45 Colt, and neither of them will ever be for sale. Mine are both 24" barrels, and I really like them that way. Remington is only making them in the 20" barrel now, so the 24" barrels are going to be even more rare in the future, if that's what it is.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: If it's on the West Coast, and you don't want it, I do......!!

bigboredad
09-30-2017, 04:15 PM
The rossi is much much lighter than the Henry so if 6plan on carring it that maybe a consideration. The rossi also can be had in the 454 casual. That's the route I went. No so much to shoot the casual round but so I could load the round longer and no that it won't find a way Into a hand until that I don't want to shoot it in also it can be loaded from a tube or loading gate not an option on the 45 colt model and also comes with a recoil pad in case you do decide to shoot some hot loads in it. The pad actually is as soft as a good rock but it is much less Hastle to replace than on a curved steel button plate model. I also love the 92 look way more than the marlin look. The marlin is a great rifle however and it does have some features you won't find anywhere else like being able to remove the bolt and clean from the breach end. Triggers are easier to work on in a marlin also I keep hearing rumors that the marlin is supposed to start using 1 in 20 inch rifling anytime now if it isn't all ready doing so. But from experience my rossi shoots a 345gr bullet just fine out to 100yds but haven't tested beyond yet

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

John Boy
09-30-2017, 04:36 PM
I bought a Rossi 45LC in 2002 - 15,000 plus black powder reloads down the bore - no broken parts and it hasn't failed me with the correct cartridge COAL

Brad Cayton
10-01-2017, 08:17 PM
I was in the same spot a while back looking for advice on a 45 colt lever rifle. I have 3 older Marlins and had heard how bad the new "Remlins" were so wasn't sure about going with a Marlin.
I took a chance on a 94, 45 colt and am very happy with it. Wood to metal fit is just as good as my JMs and it's very accurate. The wood finish isn't as nice as my JMs but isn't that bad. In fact, I've since bought a new 26", 45/70, 1895, CB and have a 336, Texan Deluxe ordered that will be here in a few days.
From what I've seen, "Remlin" seems to have the kinks worked out.

mcpilot
10-01-2017, 09:14 PM
I have a Rossi M92 and it has been great. It has a 24" octagon barrel. I think the biggest issue is it's name. I had low expectations when I bought it, but would buy another without hesitation. For me, it was the smart money choice. I have 2 Ubertis (32-20, 44-40) and a Henry .357. I end up shooting the Rossi most because I am not afraid if it gets a few wear marks...

buckshotshoey
10-02-2017, 06:55 AM
The rossi is much much lighter than the Henry so if 6plan on carring it that maybe a consideration. The rossi also can be had in the 454 casual. That's the route I went. No so much to shoot the casual round but so I could load the round longer and no that it won't find a way Into a hand until that I don't want to shoot it in also it can be loaded from a tube or loading gate not an option on the 45 colt model and also comes with a recoil pad in case you do decide to shoot some hot loads in it. The pad actually is as soft as a good rock but it is much less Hastle to replace than on a curved steel button plate model. I also love the 92 look way more than the marlin look. The marlin is a great rifle however and it does have some features you won't find anywhere else like being able to remove the bolt and clean from the breach end. Triggers are easier to work on in a marlin also I keep hearing rumors that the marlin is supposed to start using 1 in 20 inch rifling anytime now if it isn't all ready doing so. But from experience my rossi shoots a 345gr bullet just fine out to 100yds but haven't tested beyond yet

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I have to make a small change to your post. I can only speak for the Henry H010, but it also can be cleaned from the breach. Put lever to half cock, remove the lever screw, and bolt pulls right out.

hanleyfan
10-02-2017, 02:34 PM
I had both the Rossi 44 mag and the Marlin 44 mag and after 3 months of shooting I sold the Marlin and keep the Rossi, the Rossi shot heavy boolits better, was lighter in weight, never jammed with various types of ammo, overall was more accurate than the Marlin. The Marlin would not shoot heavy boolits accurately, it jammed various time on certain types of ammo, was heavier, the only pluses was the marlin stock was nicer finished, and you could mount a scope on it since it ejects out the side.

Harter66
10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm getting a Rossi rebarreled . Not because of any defect but because of the slow twist , well that and the gigantic chamber .

I have 2 Rossi M92's . A 16" and a 20" . Both shoot fine to 75 yd with "pick a 250-265 gr bullet " . Somewhere between 78-82 yd the tumbling starts . Held to 1050 MV , cowboy loads, it's fine even with a safe load clocking 1425 fps 100 yd left a lot to be desired . The twist and transonic values are a hang up . The new 1-16 will cure that .
As a footnote rifle powders and a Lee 457-340 weren't completely unsuccessful but were too fast at the muzzle when it settled down .

A friend has a Henry in 45 Colts , it is a delight and doesn't display the 80 yd group failure . I don't care for.the 24" barrel or the tube loading but I can't even call those faults . As of last May his Henry and my M92' have killed as many hogs as the other .

I find both to be fine tools in the field with noted exceptions .

MyFlatline
10-02-2017, 06:14 PM
My Henry is a 16", if you saw my target post, cast 255 has no issues at 50 to 75,,,opens a bit at 100 tho

Eddie Southgate
10-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Marlin

psychbiker
10-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Marlin

I've read the new Marlins have issues. I don't like the tube fed Henry.

I did hold a Uberti 66 YellowBoy 19". Store wants $900. It was so smooth but never can a scope be mounted.

I think I'm gonna price a 92 Rossi locally. Maybe find the octagon barrel version. The Marlin 45 cowboy is 2 hours one way so a total of 8 hours drive and gas and brining the fiancé so that means taking her to lunch too...it's now a $1,000 adventure.

I don't shoot matches and if I can get a Rossi for $600 or less I'll be happy. If the store takes $800 for the Uberti though, that will be tough to say no to.

buckshotshoey
10-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I've read the new Marlins have issues. I don't like the tube fed Henry.

I did hold a Uberti 66 YellowBoy 19". Store wants $900. It was so smooth but never can a scope be mounted.

I think I'm gonna price a 92 Rossi locally. Maybe find the octagon barrel version. The Marlin 45 cowboy is 2 hours one way so a total of 8 hours drive and gas and brining the fiancé so that means taking her to lunch too...it's now a $1,000 adventure.

I don't shoot matches and if I can get a Rossi for $600 or less I'll be happy. If the store takes $800 for the Uberti though, that will be tough to say no to.

Would you consider the Henry if it had a loading gate? I suggested just that to Henry in an email. I think a loading gate could be cut in, and still retain the removable tube. There are so many that shy away from a well made firearm because of this one feature. At least it could be a manufacturing option. Yes, it would add a bit of cost. A Big Boy Steel goes for 650 on Buds. A loading gate might add 50 dollars....probably less using CNC machining. It would still be serious competition for price and quality. Hard to beat the price of a Rossi though.

rond
10-03-2017, 08:02 AM
I got a Rossi for under $500, the more I shoot it the better it gets. I had to turn the rear sight lifter around to keep it from moving under recoil, it is very good out to 100 yards with 250 RNFP. Just loaded some rounds with Lil' Gun to try.

missionary5155
10-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Good morning
Do a little searching on the Henry BB 45 Colt and you can find them for under $650...
Mike in Peru

missionary5155
10-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Good morning
Just another stick in the fire
Never have had to smack a corn cruncher twice with a cast (ours) in east central ILLinos. This is with revolvers. Smallest was a .375 Supermag loaded to simulate a 38-55 BP load. Never was any white tail (all over 180 pounds) popped twice.
So what that means is if ILLinois ever permits us to use a center fire rifle a single shot 45 Colt will be more than sufficient.
Over all 4x our corn cruncher take is with a recurve bow. The revolvers are used just to do so. Also use flintlock rifles with no need for two shoots. One good sthwap is all that is needed. Heavy soft lead cast chugging along at even 1000 fps seems overkill sometimes. But put that same slug through the shoulders and you will never need to track your target. Easy to do with a Dan Wesson or Ruger 45 Colt revolver.
Mike in Peru

Gunlaker
10-03-2017, 10:30 AM
I can't say anything about the newer Marlins as I have no experience with them, but I have an older 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt and it is an excellent little rifle. It's never had any problems at all.

Chris.

Soundguy
10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm itching to get a 45 colt lever rifle. I have a s&w 45 colt revolver, not sure the model. Figure since I cast, might as well get a rifle I can hopefully use the same boolits for.

So far I think Uberti's are out of my price range. A local shop does have one for $900 and I imagine it's been there awhile, maybe offer $800? Taxes and DROS and I'm $900.

What's in the $750 and below range? Or is that not going to happen?

A henry will be in that range, and I like them, but my major beef with them is front tube loading.

I do have a rossi ranch hand in 45, and while I know it is not a rifle, I would bet the action is the same on the rifle. Mine runs 45lc flawlessly one after another. Never had it jam.

Only thing is like with any lever gun, the loading gate is stiff when you get it, and your first couple rounds in can be tough or scratch your thumb/nail.. On the first day I had mine, by the time I had loaded the gate / tube 3 times, it was limbered up and worked fine.

lar45
10-04-2017, 12:01 AM
I have the 24" Stainless Octagon Rossi in 45 Colt. It does have the 30" twist rifling, but seems to shoot 275s rather well. I've never had a jam or any malfunction with it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the 20" 454 or 480.

bangerjim
10-04-2017, 12:45 AM
I have several Rossi levers and my 45LC is one of the most accurate and reliable long guns I have. LOVE IT! With iron sites I can pick off "stuff" at 75-100 yards with 300gn loads all day. No scope needed. Reliable and accurate.

Review all comments. Check your wallet. And buy what you can afford! Most longs you buy, you can always trade around! I think you will be very pleased with a Rossi 45LC lever gun. Get the SST version if you CAN find it! Beautiful gun.

bigboredad
10-04-2017, 03:00 PM
I have to make a small change to your post. I can only speak for the Henry H010, but it also can be cleaned from the breach. Put lever to half cock, remove the lever screw, and bolt pulls right out.Thanks I was not aware of that I appreciate your correction

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

pls1911
10-08-2017, 10:09 AM
I have a couple of JM 24" Cowboys NIB and another JM none-cowboy in .45... again NIB.
Seems like I'm always shooting somebody My brothers, and it's a sweet piece!

ironhead7544
10-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Today, I would get the Henry.

I had two older Marlin 1894s in 44 Magnum and they worked OK if you want to look for an old one.