PDA

View Full Version : SDB Sizer

sigep1764
09-27-2017, 03:18 PM
A little backstory: Lathesmith made a custom powder through funnel that reaches deeper into a 9mm case and expands it wider for me around 2 years ago. Has worked wonderfully, not swaging wheelweight boolits one bit. I recently switched to range scrap and am now getting some swaging down of boolits.

There has always been noticeable coke bottling of the brass where it has a smaller waist compared to the ends of the brass. I want to open up the carbide sizing die to see if this helps. Dillon and the local reloading shop won't sell me just the sizing die. Any thoughts on how to open it up? It is currently sizing the brass to an outside diameter of .374. Id like that to be .378 to .380.

If anyone has a 38special/357magnum SDB sizing die that they would run a 9mm case into and measure for me, that might save some headaches as well. Its too bad these dies for the SDB are non adjustable for sizing purposes. I am open to any and all suggestions from the excellent collection of knowledge on this forum.

Thank you,
Kyle

sigep1764
09-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Turns out Dillon will sell just the 38special sizing die for $26 plus shipping. If anyone could post the measurements of a 9mm case through this die before I have to shell out the cash, that would be fantastic.

Larry Gibson
09-27-2017, 03:50 PM
You might try getting an extra plastic "gasket" that the is between the plate and the press. Cut off the 3 small studs that hold the sizer in. Make a washer the thickness of the cut off studs to fit under the sizer lip to hold it up against the plate gasket. That will be the same as backing out the FL sizer more than 1 thread.

sigep1764
09-27-2017, 04:04 PM
That is a good thought, Larry. Hadn't thought to raise the die plate. I think I have enough clearance to lower the other dies to keep the adjustments at the other stations. I will keep that in mind if no 38 die measurements get posted. If I can't get the measurements, I will add that to the shopping cart when I order the die. Options are nice.

Walter Laich
09-28-2017, 04:30 PM
once shot 9mm brass

before OD = .376

after going through 38 Sp sizer OD = .367

done on SDB

sigep1764
09-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Thanks Walter! I see the 38 special die prolly wont help. Thanks for saving me some money.