PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph at a public range?

JSnover
09-27-2017, 09:56 AM
The "Pressure Sign" thread got me wondering, how common is it to set up your crony at a public shooting range? I'm sure it happens, I just haven't seen it done.
At uncontrolled 'sand pit' ranges you'll see almost anything but the range I use has RSOs, rules, flags, all that stuff. I'll call them and ask about their policy, I was just curious to know how the rest of country handles it.

DerekP Houston
09-27-2017, 10:00 AM
I asked at the ranges I frequent and was told "nope" nothing is allowed down range, the indoor ones will not even let you retrieve brass if its over the yellow line. I was about to buy one before I realized I had no where to use it.

Ickisrulz
09-27-2017, 10:15 AM
I used to set up my chronograph at the shooting range in Las Vegas. No one had a problem with it. I think I was the only one I saw doing so.

OS OK
09-27-2017, 10:21 AM
'Loads of Bacon' uses his chrony and does the gel test at his range.

Bent Ramrod
09-27-2017, 10:31 AM
I never saw any prohibitions for chronographs on any range I've been on. I've seen many in use, and have used mine myself on occasion. If it's clear to go forward of the firing line to set targets, it's clear to set up chronographs. Of course, it is forbidden to mess with stuff at the firing line, on the bench, or (especially) to handle the rifle, which should be racked, or action open and, if possible, OBI inserted, while everybody is down range.

There were a couple guys at the range the other week who had chronographs set up, wind streamers every 25 yards and one of those dial-and-pointer wind speed indicators on the closest streamer pole. Didn't bother anyone. They were shooting teeny-tiny groups.

JSnover
09-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Yeah, indoor ranges are pretty restrictive. If I get the green light I'll probably get off my wallet and buy one.

texassako
09-27-2017, 10:54 AM
One of the reasons I like my Magnetospeed is there is nothing down range to mess with.

Preacher Jim
09-27-2017, 10:56 AM
I went magspeed to beat the down range requirement, for handgun I attach it to my rest and shoot over it,

JSnover
09-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Magnetospeed?? Just looked it up... Sweet!

DerekP Houston
09-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Magnetospeed?? Just looked it up... Sweet!

oh man, now I have something else on my Christmas wish list, that does look sweet. I was looking at the old style.

texassako
09-27-2017, 11:18 AM
I went magspeed to beat the down range requirement, for handgun I attach it to my rest and shoot over it,

I do the same for my handguns.

OS OK
09-27-2017, 11:20 AM
So there's a new magspeed that doesn't need to be attached to the weapon?

country gent
09-27-2017, 11:40 AM
I set my old pact professional up at the club I shoot with no issues and several others also did use chronographs. I had the chronograph set up on the tripod and ready to go before the all clear and set it up. A friend would post the targets. We didn't extend the clear time very much. Did have several that stated we could have the extra few mins if they could fire a couple rounds over it to check velocity. LOL. Now its not near the issue my 25 year old pact gave up and I bought the Lab Radar unit and everything sits beside the rifle. The magneto speed and lab radars are simple easy to use units. I like the Lab Radar as nothing attaches to the rifles barrel, with my globe front sights, octagon barrels, and black powder this might be an issue. I also like the Ease of the Lab Radar. Set up and aim at the target. switching rifles is simply getting the next one out and the ammo. Set it up on the bench and shoot.

texassako
09-27-2017, 11:53 AM
So there's a new magspeed that doesn't need to be attached to the weapon?

No, it still attaches to the barrel. You can get creative and attach it elsewhere as long as the sensor is still where it needs to be.

PbHurler
09-27-2017, 01:23 PM
I'll set one up at the public range near me (Oehler 35P) problem is; I usually get asked if I'll shoot their gun / load through it to check their estimated speed of their load. This makes me nervous because I'D be the one to touch off an overload; if I'd let them shoot through the screens THEY'ED be the one to shoot the optical unit.............

decisions, decisions.

Smoke4320
09-27-2017, 01:26 PM
A lab Radar will sit on your bench .. nothing is in front of the barrel

kingstrider
09-27-2017, 01:34 PM
I have a Magnetospeed V3 which is fine for most guns or when running a suppressor. It is a little time consuming switching between guns through. Once I get the money I'm going to buy a LabRadar instead.

retread
09-27-2017, 01:50 PM
I asked at the ranges I frequent and was told "nope" nothing is allowed down range, the indoor ones will not even let you retrieve brass if its over the yellow line. I was about to buy one before I realized I had no where to use it.

I wonder what they would say to a Lab Radar doppler unit that sits on the bench beside you, not downrange.

JSnover
09-27-2017, 01:51 PM
So you guys that have used both, if cost was not a factor would you opt for the Labradar?
My barrels run the gamut from standard contour 30-06 to full octagon 45-70, plus a 6" Redhawk .41 magnum.

retread
09-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Didn't see your post Smoke! I had the same question. [smilie=1:

kayala
09-27-2017, 02:18 PM
I went LabRadar route - can use indoors, don't have to go beyond firing line - win/win :)

runfiverun
09-27-2017, 02:27 PM
our Public range is a bit different than at other places.
I use my bench.
and shoot at my targets on my backer board.
I have a diffuser board for my chronograph that slides behind my gun rack.
nobody touches my stuff.
my chronograph is set up to be measured and placed in front of my bench so it only takes about 30 seconds to pull the string out and set the tri-pod in place.

on the pistol side I have my own target stand, and table made from a cable reel.
I also provide the backer boards for it.

the only time I don't use them is if there is a shoot of some sort going on.

Rick Hodges
09-27-2017, 03:10 PM
I have used mine at the state run Sharon Valley range with no problems....um, no problems that I didn't create. I have to wait to go down range to check it...but can read what I need at 5 yds so I play with the chrono while others are going down range.

Smoke4320
09-27-2017, 03:16 PM
for me its lab radar all the way .. It eliminates every issue I have had with other chronos
No screens to align or the wind to unalign, no wires, no control box or screens to get damaged .. I can shoot day or night sun or no sun
The entire chrono sits on the bench slightly behind and beside the muzzle
Plus it will give me velocities at 4 different distances that I set

it would be difficult for me to ever go back to the other styles now

Artful
09-27-2017, 03:23 PM
A lab Radar will sit on your bench .. nothing is in front of the barrel

Yep, if your willing to pop for one.

I have shot on several ranges with chrony , but get the RO's OK first and ask how he wants me to do it - lots of times they even help with the setup so no back and forth fiddly stuff.

Larry Gibson
09-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I've been using chronographs on many different ranges since '74 and haven't encountered any problems using them. Just have to follow the range rules when setting them up. Using the proper technique it's not difficult and doesn't take long.

Only problems I've encountered are some ranges have baffles now that block too much light out and the skyscreens don't read that well. However on the pistol range, the 100 yard range and the300 yard range here at Lake Havasu City I have no problems at all. Of course I also go out in the desert and set up many times. I have a nice place just north of town I park the PU east and west, pitch shade of the north side, set up the portable BR and then set up the Oehler M35P. I also use a portable generator for using the Oehler M43. It's nice out there as I don't get interrupted by other shooters needing to change/hang targets so testing goes better. I can shoot to 1000 yards (or further if I want) there also.

country gent
09-27-2017, 03:46 PM
I use my Lab Radar way more than the Pact Professional ever got used simply due to ease of set up and use. I have used it on indoor ranges that ban other chronographs. ( It does get cramped it they have Booths for shooting in) One thing the maker recommends is it is turned off when people are downrange or in front of it. Its a very easy quick set up and switching firearms is even easier.

DerekP Houston
09-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Is that labradar readily available now? It's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend but will put it on my wish list and maybe my wife/finance officer will take pity on me :D. I think I'd need to do a lot more shooting to get my money's worth out of it.

country gent
09-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Cost wasn't the issue for me but the 8 week lead time that turned into 6 months was. I'm not sure what the leade time is now but I got the impression the manufacturer is a military contractor for equipment and that these were "fill In" when contracts were slow. Ive been very pleased with mine and its use. The only thing to change is to add a better "sight" system.

Rcmaveric
09-27-2017, 04:16 PM
I set up my chrono on the range. It doesnt take me long to set up. The public range is normaly sees high shooter traffic. I have set it up there and i am good before everyone is back from down range. My range also has 2 smaller members only ranges that i like to use. Normaly its only a few of us on those ranges and its not uncommon for more than one of us to have chrono up. My chrono plugs into my phone and records my shot strings and saves them with comments to be exported into excell later to be analyzed.

Handloader109
09-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Dang those look Nice!
http://mylabradar.com/
Maybe I can afford the base for a table:roll:

JSnover
09-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Is that labradar readily available now? It's quite a bit more than I wanted to spend but will put it on my wish list and maybe my wife/finance officer will take pity on me :D. I think I'd need to do a lot more shooting to get my money's worth out of it.
I just ordered one from Midway, estimated delivery by 5 October.

dragon813gt
09-27-2017, 07:49 PM
So you guys that have used both, if cost was not a factor would you opt for the Labradar?

I would not consider anything else. It really is that good. I'm a member at a bunch of private ranges. Some of them are busy and it made setting up a chronograph a pain. I honestly didn't use it often because of setup time. Was going to get the Magnetospeed but there are issues w/ it. And I'm not to keen in strapping anything to the barrel of my guns.

The Labradar is worth the price of entry. Eventually the price will come down as the technology becomes more readily available. But even at its current cost it's worth the price. Old style chronograph are a dying breed because of the Labradar. It will take decades for them to die but they eventually will.

JSnover
09-27-2017, 08:00 PM
I would not consider anything else. It really is that good.
Yeah, I crossed over to the bright side of the street. User reviews on two different sites were about 95% plus the comments posted here.
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.

Rick Hodges
09-27-2017, 08:00 PM
I would not consider anything else. It really is that good. I'm a member at a bunch of private ranges. Some of them are busy and it made setting up a chronograph a pain. I honestly didn't use it often because of setup time. Was going to get the Magnetospeed but there are issues w/ it. And I'm not to keen in strapping anything to the barrel of my guns.

The Labradar is worth the price of entry. Eventually the price will come down as the technology becomes more readily available. But even at its current cost it's worth the price. Old style chronograph are a dying breed because of the Labradar. It will take decades for them to die but they eventually will.

Hah....I still have a chrony that uses the shoot through screens and the switch box that you rotate through to watch the lights and get velocities.....I don't use it much but it still works. Unless I blast my pro chrony it will probably last me for my lifetime.

popper
09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
No problem setting up at the range where I shoot. Fancy ($$) chronys don't pay for me as I don't chrony loads that much.

dragon813gt
09-27-2017, 08:32 PM
lFancy ($$) chronys don't pay for me as I don't chrony loads that much.

I bet most Labradar owners set it up almost every time they shoot. It comes w/ me every trip. Setup takes about a minute. A chronograph isn't needed. But it was an eye opener once I started using it consistently.

DerekP Houston
09-27-2017, 09:08 PM
I bet most Labradar owners set it up almost every time they shoot. It comes w/ me every trip. Setup takes about a minute. A chronograph isn't needed. But it was an eye opener once I started using it consistently.

I'd like to start pushing the loads up for my self defense rounds, but without a way of measuring velocity is kinda just by 'feel'. I'd like something at least a bit more consistent.

country gent
09-27-2017, 09:09 PM
One big plus to the Lab Radar that others don't do is the multiple readings of the shot. I have mine set right now for a reading at 10 yd, 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, 150 yd, and 200yds. Each shot fired gives a velocity reading at these distances. It allows for drop tables to be calculated for a given bullet load. I can pick up 38 cast rifle to 45 cast rifle bullets to 200yds maybe farther on the bigger bullets. Wads and paper patches don't affect it either. I run mine off of a rechargeable battery pack as 6 or 8 AA batteries every couple uses gets expensive.

dragon813gt
09-27-2017, 09:40 PM
I run mine off of a rechargeable battery pack as 6 or 8 AA batteries every couple uses gets expensive.

The small lipstick chargers will run it all day long. They're really cheap and can be bought at most gas stations at this point.

samari46
09-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Private range and gun club. Ohler 35P and can usually set it up and when cease fire is called and range safe out the tripod goes.If I mess up and can't get targets centered just wait until the next cease fire and range safe. Did have one incident where I had stopped shooting and placed my rifle in the rack, only to find someone at my bench getting ready to take a shot. Would be shooter said he thought it was a range supplied chrono. Range officer came over to see what was going on. Turns out the guy was a guest of a member and as such not familiar with the club's rules. And the range does not supply chrono's for memer use. We've had to go to a permanent range officer who actually lives on the property due to some stupid incidents, and people who are not members sneaking in plus members who loan out their gate cards. Which usually means the loaners loose their memberships. Frank

jbutts6785
09-28-2017, 08:10 AM
I guess I am blessed. The club range I shoot at isn't very busy except for right before hunting season. I just follow the safety rules and have never had a problem. If I set it out at about 5 yards, I can read it from the bench.

AKtinman
09-28-2017, 05:58 PM
I belong to a gun club which has informal, unsupervised ranges. Haven’t had any issues using my Oehler 35P there.

The range I used in Alaska was a public range and, at the time, unsupervised. I was at a bench shooting targets when a fellow arrived and was getting his gear out and getting set up. When he placed his chronograph on top of the shooting bench I figured he was waiting for the range to cease fire for target change. Nope, he stepped into the parking lot and was about to fire his rifle when I realized what he was doing. I hollered at him and he put his rifle down and waited for the range to go quiet to move his chrono in front of the bench. He really didn’t see any problem with the idea of firing from behind me as he was a couple of benches over. Not much surprises me anymore.