PDA

View Full Version : Highstandard Durango

aspangler
09-26-2017, 09:55 PM
I think I stole this. It is tight and in pretty good shape. Had to put a rear sight on it but otherwise it was in good shape. I think I stole it for $85. What say ye all. BTW .22 rimfire. Did I steal it?

Outpost75
09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Yes, you did. Sturdy little .22, great survival ruck gun.

rintinglen
09-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Stop Thief!
Good deal on a good plinker.

gwpercle
09-27-2017, 02:20 PM
High Standard made some fine firearms. My favorite pump shotgun is a 20 gauge Flite King and their Target 22's are legendary.
You made out like a bandit ! SWEET
Gary

Speedo66
09-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Didn't happen without pictures! lol

aspangler
09-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Didn't happen without pictures! lol

Sorry. Camera is on the fritz so no pics. I did shoot it today and found that the rear sight is WAY too high. Will cut it down tomorrow and try again.

MT Gianni
09-28-2017, 12:22 AM
I have a couple of their citified cousins, sentinels. If you mark a start place on one of the cylinders and shoot 1 shot at 9 bullseyes, aligning the cylinder and repeating three or five times you will be amazed at what you can do. I had one cylinder that shot 2" left due to a burr that I would have missed with conventional grouping.

Texas by God
09-28-2017, 09:27 AM
I'm having a cranial emission. Is the Durango similar to the Double Nine? As stated High-Standard made good guns!

rintinglen
09-28-2017, 02:27 PM
IIRC, the Durango was a stepped up version of the double nine, with a nicer finish and walnut grips. I had a Sears version for a while, but there were two chambers that threw bullets out of the group, so it got sold off and I have not felt the need to get another. These days my 22 revolver shooting gets handled by my S&W M-17 or M-63.

aspangler
09-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Cut the rear sight down and found a bent front sight. Straightened the front sight and shot it again at 15 yards. A group of 3/4" nine shots and I was shaking. ( Old farts disease LOL) I think its a winner.

Green Frog
09-29-2017, 06:13 PM
My first handgun was a High Standard Sentinel Snub Deluxe that I got in a trade. It's not the best 22 revolver out there but it's far from the worst, and like an old freight train, it just keeps on running. I haven't shot mine in many years, but have every confidence that if I were to pull it out of the safe right now and load it, it would do its job with no fuss, muss or bother. As has been implied above, the basic design and mechanicals of all of the High Standard revolvers are pretty much identical.

Froggie

aspangler
09-29-2017, 11:32 PM
As has been said in "The guns of Wil Sonet" No brag, just fact. Today the Durango killed a groundhog at about 40 yards. One shot , one kill. It jumped straight up at least 12 inchs or more, went down the hole and left a silver dollar sized blood spot in the bottom before it went horizontal. Watches for at least an hour in case but don't think it went anywhere. I am amazed that it shoots like a rifle. Best shootin' 22 revolver I have ever had. It went on to kill a tree rat at 25-30 yards. Again one shot, one kill.

Texas by God
09-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Yep. You stole it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thin Man
10-01-2017, 04:49 AM
I picked up a Sentinel snub several years ago. The sights appear to be all original to the firearm. However this monster hits 12-14 inches high at 7 yards! The barrel does not appear to have been bent (in the frame) so as to cause this condition. Then again the rear sight does not appear to be tall enough to allow me to shorten it the amount required to correct the point of impact. Bummer.

Green Frog
10-01-2017, 04:20 PM
I picked up a Sentinel snub several years ago. The sights appear to be all original to the firearm. However this monster hits 12-14 inches high at 7 yards! The barrel does not appear to have been bent (in the frame) so as to cause this condition. Then again the rear sight does not appear to be tall enough to allow me to shorten it the amount required to correct the point of impact. Bummer.

It sounds like your front sight blade is too short. Can you post a picture? I'll dig out my Sentinel Snub Deluxe and compare. I might still have one of them in my parts box; they are just a press fit, IIRC.

Froggie