white eagle
09-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Just a tad of a quandary
I know the 475 Linebaugh is formed from a 45-70 Win.case
that is a rifle now the 475 Linebaugh is a pistol cartridge
so which primer to use a LR or LP primer :Fire: [smilie=2:

tazman
09-26-2017, 07:13 PM
The Lyman 49th shows large pistol magnum. The Hodgdon data site shows large pistol.

bassnbuck
09-26-2017, 10:25 PM
I use large pistol magnum with 296.

white eagle
09-27-2017, 09:34 AM
guess I will use a LP
thanks for the info

OS OK
09-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Yesterday I stopped in the gun shop for a load of powder and primers, asked for my favorite CCI large pistol primers and he was out of stock...said I have Winchester, want those? Said also that the Winchester has combined the LPP and the LPMP into one selection...large pistol primer and large pistol magnum primer are one and the same..."I didn't realize that."

I guess that sometimes I oughta look outside the box and see what the rest of the world is doing...:bigsmyl2:

str8wal
09-27-2017, 10:35 AM
I've always used the WLP, just makes life simpler ;-)

tazman
09-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Yesterday I stopped in the gun shop for a load of powder and primers, asked for my favorite CCI large pistol primers and he was out of stock...said I have Winchester, want those? Said also that the Winchester has combined the LPP and the LPMP into one selection...large pistol primer and large pistol magnum primer are one and the same..."I didn't realize that."

I guess that sometimes I oughta look outside the box and see what the rest of the world is doing...:bigsmyl2:

The wlp primers have been available in combined form like that for a long time. If you weren’t buying them you wouldn’t know.

OS OK
09-27-2017, 11:19 AM
The wlp primers have been available in combined form like that for a long time. If you weren’t buying them you wouldn’t know.

Ain't it funny how we old greybacks get set in our ways! Iffin it don't squeak don't oil it...huuummmm...maybe that ole axiom ought be revisited too?

tazman
09-27-2017, 02:15 PM
I have tendencies to buy what I am familiar with just as a lot of people do.
I do experiment from time to time just to see if something may work better. That's why I have several partial bottles of powder around.

gwpercle
09-27-2017, 02:25 PM
I've always used the WLP, just makes life simpler ;-)

Like :goodpost:

white eagle
09-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Should have remembered that I read or was told that John Linebaugh
used wlp in his reloading shoot for that matter he may have even told me
in a correspondence seems as though the memory is the first in a list of things to go

earlmck
09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Unlike the small rifle/pistol primers, large rifle/pistol primers have different height dimensions. The original Linebaugh's made from 45/70 brass could have used either primer but purpose-built Linebaugh cases are (I believe) built with the slightly shallower primer pocket intended only for the large pistol primer. Using large rifle primers would give you high primers.