PDA

View Full Version : HP and RIfled 12g moulds

adam38654
08-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Does anyone make a hollow point foster style slug or rifled slug mould? Any other good moulds besides the Lee Key Drive and Foster type moulds.

MT Gianni
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM
IMO and experience, expansion is not needed in a 12 gauge. Gianni

scb
08-08-2008, 04:14 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34079

GabbyM
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Both the HP and twisted flutes to simulate slug rifling was never anything but a sales pitch.
The HP does change weight distribution. Allowing for a bit of a shaped nose to improve ballistic coefficient while staying withing target weight. But hey this is a 75 caliber bore shotgun. Those twisted flutes will not make the slug spin to any degree. They did serve as a crush to fit devise on solid lead slugs like Brenneks. (sp)

I've the lee key slug but have limited experience with it. Gaging from what I read it would seam people have the best accuracy with the Lyman bad mitten birdies. Air gun pellets on steroids. The 525 grain Lyman is 1.2 oz. I'd be tempted to cast the slug from 1:30 alloy to harden it from pure lead and toughen it up a bit. Expansion isn't a problem except for to much. Most scrap lead will do fine.

MT Gianni
08-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I shot a whitetail doe with a saboted 12 gauge slug as she entered onto the ranch I had permission to hunt on. I hit her at the top of her jump squarely in the ribs and she hit the grounds as if she were a sack of grain. The exit hole seemed no bigger than 50 cal but it was a few years ago.

JFE
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I saw a HP 12ga slug mould made by CBE (Australia). It was being used in rifle set up in 12ga. These CBE moulds are special order items and the HP is quite sophisticated compared to say Lyman HP moulds. Consequently they are relatively expensive, but they are well engineered.

Joe