PDA

View Full Version : My Oldest Cartridge

Ed in North Texas
09-25-2017, 10:39 AM
The oldest cartridge I have goes with my .50-70 NYSM RB*. A Frankford Arsenal produced Benet inside primed .50-70. Best I can tell, Frankford switched production of the Benet cartridges to .45-70 in 1873. With no headstamp (IIRC Frankford started headstamping in 1877), it isn't possible to determine the exact year of production. More than one source puts production from 1866 to 1872. These cartridges have a cast lead 450 grain inside lubed grease groove boolit (400 grain/55 grains BP for carbine loads).

* The Benet primer explains why the RB has a firing pin which looks like it is trying to get through the primer cup of modern cases. When I first fired it I worried about the depth of the pin indentation, and replaced the FP. The replacement was an exact replacement and it still is a hugely deep indentation, but hasn't pierced a primer yet (likely because of the low pressure of BP loads). When I get a Roundtuit I'll shorten the FP replacement (not the original).

Earlwb
09-28-2017, 11:30 PM
That is really neat. Could you please post a pic or two of it so we could see what it looks like?

My oldest at the moment is a Winchester box of .44 Colt cartridges. I have it in my display along with a old Colt .44 that was converted to cartridges in late 1869 to early 1870's. There are two vintage ammo boxes in the display, one full and the other is empty. The ammo box was likely produced in the 1870's sometime. Note that it shows it being rifle ammo, but they never really made rifles for that cartridge. The rifle designation for the ammo was to get around the early large city pistol ammunition bans that were in effect. It was Ok to buy rifle ammo, but not pistol ammo in some cities way back then.

Ed in North Texas
11-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Sorry it has taken me forever to get back to this. The crimp on the cartridge body keeps the Benet primer in place against the case head. As noted, Frankford wasn't headstamping cartridges at this time, so no markings on the head. Grease groove lead bullet with what may be a wax treatment (original??). I'll try to get better pix next time.