PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto recoil spring

Buckshot
08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
..............Can this have an effect on accuracy? Either by going up or down in spring pressure?

............Buckshot

Echo
08-08-2008, 02:50 AM
I think not - of the gun by itself, that is. Remember, accuracy as fired in the hands of a shooter should be considered the accuracy of the System, which includes the shooter.

My first hardball .45 was punishing. It really hammered me. Took it apart and found a short recoils spring. Replaced it with a full-length spring and tamed it down considerably. Not any more accurate, but I shot higher scores.

shotman
08-08-2008, 03:02 AM
the spring dont do anything for the accuracy but it helps to keep from the pounding on your hand the best thing i did was go to the mercury filled full length rod that did make a difference rick

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2008, 08:22 AM
theroreticaly yes. if a gun is sprung right for the load it will allow the slide to go into battery the same each time and will prevent bullets from slaming inot the chamber and getting damaged. I doubt if it is going to show up in the real world though unless something is drasticaly wrong. It also has an effect on recoil and the way your gun recoils in your hand must be cosistant too and im sure it could effect that in some small way.

44man
08-08-2008, 09:34 AM
It might effect how you handle recoil but you need to remember that the spring has to be right for the load to protect the gun itself.

9.3X62AL
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Rick--

+1 to the above. Insufficient spring rates can cause premature/accellerated peening of slide stop and other surfaces involved in arresting the slide's travel in both directions. The shock buffers seen installed in 1911A1 and other self-loaders are another fix for such wear patterns, but correct springing is the primary counter-measure.

Some pistol designs require that the firing pin retraction spring be matched to the recoil spring strength, to prevent slam-fires. Wolff Gunsprings can counsel on that question, but this applies mostly to slide designs lacking passive firing pin locks--Walther PP series, first generation S&W (39 and 59), classic Colt 1911A1.