PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen on of these?

PB234
09-25-2017, 12:35 AM
https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/weapons/hunting-rifles/steyr-mannlicher-zephyr-ii/

Hate to think of what it will cost if it can even be found.

17nut
09-25-2017, 05:37 AM
The trigger guard looks a bit odd but the rest i would take in a heartbeat!

pietro
09-25-2017, 06:08 AM

Why would Steyr make a rifle that nice, then slap a crappy-looking shaped sheet metal TG on it, like it was an econo/beater ? ? ?

rking22
09-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Looks nice for a new rifle, least it has a price of wood instead of a "chassis" or whatever! Bet it'll shoot too!!!

roysha
09-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Here is it's Daddy. 1966 manufacture. The original "baby" Mannlicher Schonauer . Practically worth their weight in gold.

oldhenry
09-25-2017, 06:46 PM
I admit that when I 1st. read the thread by PB234 I passed an improper judgment thinking he did not appreciate a "shotgun" type trigger guard, but after I saw the photo I was glad that I kept my mouth shut.
That trigger guard looks terrible. I was expecting to see the graceful shotgun type that I drooled over in the Stoeger catalogue back in the '60's (the one showing in roysha's reply).

The one in roysha's reply is a jewel. I remember them well (the photos).

Henry

PB234
09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
I have an old one that was sold to me by a fellow who could not stand the idea of shooting it so it became a safe queen for him. Over the past couple decades it has been out of my safe one time to shoot carefully. It is without a doubt the finest 22 sporter I have shot. Two double trigger ones got past me as another was willing to pay much more than I would.

The one I have is almost perfect and I search for something inexpensive that will provide similar enjoyment. Just acquired a Brno Model 1 (waiting for delivery) which might come close in some ways if installed into a stock that fits me perfectly. Mostly a CZ 452 goes with me which is metal and wood and not so expensive to be prohibitive to use.

Say what you will about the trigger guard and then look at the barrel, the muzzle and the trigger is probably as good as modern Mannlichers. I would grab one quick if I could find and afford it.

jsizemore
09-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Some of the manufacturers are trying to attract the silhouette crowd. When you see a rifle sell for $1800-2400 you make accommodations to make weight and help with hold to sell rifles. 5.8 lbs makes it easier to mount optics and make weight. Steyr used hammer forged barrels in the past. 1710 Anschutz looks like it's paternal twin.

18Bravo
09-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Steyr is all about quality. I’ve never handled one of their rifles that I didn’t covet. Can’t say the same for their pistols. Any idea what they are going for with the wood stock? Don’t need another 22 but hey, not “needing” another firearm hasn’t stopped me yet.

PB234
09-26-2017, 05:01 PM
I don't know the cost or availability but plan to call around to find out when time permits. Another 22 is also something I sure don't need, but something this nice is hard to not want. If you turn up any info please PM me so that I can tag along.

18Bravo
09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't know the cost or availability but plan to call around to find out when time permits. Another 22 is also something I sure don't need, but something this nice is hard to not want. If you turn up any info please PM me so that I can tag along.
Will do. Checked a few sources and only found pricing on the Scout models. If I can run down the model number or UPC it would make life easier.

PB234
09-27-2017, 11:22 AM
18Bravo, not yet imported although one was passing around at Steyr in Alabama for the folks to look at recently. Importation should be soon according to Steyr. The distributor I spoke to says he has no idea for a date. Probably something to check back on once a month.

18Bravo
09-27-2017, 01:27 PM
18Bravo, not yet imported although one was passing around at Steyr in Alabama for the folks to look at recently. Importation should be soon according to Steyr. The distributor I spoke to says he has no idea for a date. Probably something to check back on once a month.

Thanks for the update. If the price is reasonable, this could very well be a poor mans Anschutz.

jaguarxk120
09-27-2017, 05:23 PM
It all depends on what you call reasonable, I found the rifle on a British web site at 990 British pounds.

Texas by God
09-28-2017, 08:53 AM
I first saw that shape of trigger guard on the Browning Synergy O/U shotgun. It disgusted me then and still does.

LIMPINGJ
09-28-2017, 09:25 AM
I will admit to coveting an old MS carbine but these new products just look wrong to my tastes.

jsizemore
09-28-2017, 12:38 PM
There's gonna be somebody that'll make aftermarket bottom metal.

PB234
09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
A lot of people will understand and like the trigger guard. It is fine by me too. I am hearing they will be on the shelf in late December and have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $995. The street price will be ? Looks like a good barrel and Steyr triggers are typically excellent so I'll let you know how it shoots after the prices settle down.