PDA

View Full Version : Long term lead storage

DwarvenChef
11-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Years ago I got carried away casting .490 RB's, the mold was that purfict temp... Anyway I ended up casting about 60lbs of them, I'm down to about 30 lbs left and started to see some white (corrosion) on them. How do you store bullets for long term and keep them good?

Maven
11-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I use a light spray of WD-40: Works like a charm!

grumble
11-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Anything to keep the air off them. I use a little graphite in a plastic boolit box and just roll them in it. I'm sure moly would work, too. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if you could do the same thing whith whole wheat flour. The excess powder shakes off so it isn't too messy when you handle the lead. Rolling them on a rag afterwards would make them even easier to handle.

felix
11-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Mavin, I like your idea of WD-40, or equivalent spray. The next time I cast a bunch, meanwhile, don't hold your breath, I will do this trick. They will be dry after a month anyway, so there will be no hand mess out of the ordinary when sizing and lubing. ... felix

grumble
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
If you're willing to wait for 'em to dry, you can use about anything -- diluted dish soap, used motor oil, thinned alox, spray paint, etc. The only limitation is your imagination. The idea is to use something that will keep the air off them to prevent corrosion, it really doesn't matter what. The round ball will be patched and never touch the barrel, so it really doesn't matter what you use.