PDA

View Full Version : Who uses an"shotgun" scope on thier 22 rifle?

nagantguy
09-21-2017, 06:46 PM
I do and love it; at the range today a young man,nice ,polite ,decent shot,abided by range rules,didn't bother me in the least but when we got to talking he mentioned that the shotgun scope on my 22 wasn't ideal because of the thick cross hairs and the parallax would be set for 70 or so yards; in reply I fired a string of 10 into the sun with the two scoops of raisins on a box of Kellogg's raisen bran, at 50 yards offhand at my leisurely pace;all ten were in the sun between the eyes and mouth for those familiar with the cereal box.

Kestrel4k
09-21-2017, 06:55 PM
I try to not open my mouth & give negative opinions on folks' setups, because I dislike looking like a fool after they've proved me wrong. :-)
Lots of ways to skin a cat, and pretty is as pretty does.

nagantguy
09-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Very good plan; see growing up in northern MI deer camps and leaving 10 days after high school to the Marine Corps I also learned not to call anyone out on gear;?skills; abilities etc unless I was willing to look the fool or wear a black eye.

Kestrel4k
09-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Certainly - would much rather begin discreetly and then impress, rather than coming on strong & then looking the fool when I can't deliver, lol.

All that was missing was for you to invite your associate to perform comparably w/ his "better" setup. :-)

nagantguy
09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Like a said he seemed a nice kid and didn't do it in that high handed know it all way but instead like it was something he knew a great deal about and wanted to inform me that I was a dunce. He did have a very nice Tikka .308 with a red field scope and Harris bipod !

GhostHawk
09-21-2017, 09:34 PM
Different strokes.

Me I started out with my dad's Bushnell deer rifle scope. 3x9x40 had to go to tall rings to mount it. But once I learned it I was shooting 12 ga hulls laid on the snow so I could only see the brass base. 90% were hit in the primer at 75 yards. Little harder at 100.

My shooting buddy emptied his ruger 10/22 at a bird once, little thing size of a golf ball. He started shooting at 50 yards. We were floating down the river in a canoe.
Gave up at 75 when he ran out. I reached over and grabbed my ruger 10/22 lined it up, squeezed the trigger and the bird was gone. 3 feathers floating on the water.

My buddy goes "where'd the bird go" Into the mud. Hit him dead center and it drove him right into the mud.

By the time I shot range was pushing 100 yards.

A year later we were at the range sighting in my buddy's new scope.

Those little cheap .22 scopes were no longer good enough. He could not keep up.
And that is the kiss of death to a friendship.

When it comes to optics I either prefer Red Dot sight for close fast action, or more power for long steady single shots. My dad harped on me for years for buying a semi auto. "You'll never learn to shoot" "You'll burn the barrel out" "Everyone knows you can't hit the broad side of a barn with one of those.

Well it has been 40 years. I still take aimed single shots. Make each one count. I did learn to shoot. Barrel is still going strong. I can hit the far side of the barn through a knot hole. And if it was not for Dad none of those would be true. Pretty wise guy in his way. Thanks dad!

Hamish
09-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Many years ago Tasco made a 1.25X Bantam slug scope that I wish I had bought a dozen of,,,,,,,

Drm50
09-22-2017, 01:17 AM
I got one of those shotgun turkey scopes with diamond reticle on a 10/22, have no problem with
it and parallax. I have several low power Weavers & Redfields on shotguns,22s and deer rifles.

rking22
09-22-2017, 09:39 AM
I've used a 4x shotgun scope on several 22 over the years, worked well. Liked it lots better than the scout scope setups.
Ghosthawk, like you I consider my 10-22s to be single shots with onboard ammo storage! Nice thing about autos is you don't have to move to reload , doesn't scare the other squirrels. I've gotten multiple squirrels from the same tree with subsonic HP's from my 10-22, many times.

buckwheatpaul
09-22-2017, 09:55 AM
I do and love it; at the range today a young man,nice ,polite ,decent shot,abided by range rules,didn't bother me in the least but when we got to talking he mentioned that the shotgun scope on my 22 wasn't ideal because of the thick cross hairs and the parallax would be set for 70 or so yards; in reply I fired a string of 10 into the sun with the two scoops of raisins on a box of Kellogg's raisen bran, at 50 yards offhand at my leisurely pace;all ten were in the sun between the eyes and mouth for those familiar with the cereal box.

Thanks for the post....I have wondered about what you spoke about.....thanks for opening my eyes and helping me to make an informed decision! Paul

fecmech
09-22-2017, 10:19 AM
I have an old Weaver K2.5 scope on my little Henry carbine, works great!

tazman
09-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Back in the middle 70s, I installed a straight 4x high powered rifle scope on my Winchester 72A. It has been there ever since and works just fine for all my hunting and shooting needs with that rifle.
I still have a couple of boxes of the old SuperX long rifle hollow points I purchased to hunt squirrels with nearly 30 years ago. The rifle and scope still shoots to point of aim even after all these years.
I could still go hunting with it right now and not worry about where the bullets were going to go.

Kestrel4k
09-22-2017, 05:01 PM
As an aside, I'm rather curious about the parallax "concern". Haven't looked in a while, but IIRC Leupolds ML scopes are set to 70 yds (?), while I know the Lp Rimfire is set to 60 yds. Virtually identical, for all practical purposes.

GhostHawk
09-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Personally I think a lot of the parallax talk is hype from the scope company's.

Airgunner's do tend to get into it more as for accuracy they often shoot with high magnification and short ranges. For a purpose like that I can see spending extra money if that is what you do.

But for most guns, with most hunting ranges most people will simply never need to worry about it. Especially if you are close and shooting a variable dial the magnification down.

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

And I do have a Simmons pro diamond that did spend some time on my ruger 10/22.
It was ok, but when I found a new in box Bushnell 3x9x40 for 40$ at the pawn shop. Well it got swapped out. Dad's old Bushnell banner only lasted some 40 years. Can't complain much I guess considering I stole it off him.

Repass
10-15-2017, 10:09 AM
I use my Bushnell 1.75 x 4 power cantilever shotgun scopes on my lever action .22 rifles (https://lifeundersky.com/best-22lr-rifle/) with scout mounts. They have 5" of eye relief which is perfect because the scope is mounted farther forward than normal. The magnification is also perfect for carry rifle and the shots / ranges encountered.
No problems at all.

Rick Hodges
10-15-2017, 01:11 PM
I use them on muzzle loaders and High power rifles as well...(my 308W).
I love the thick crosshairs for early and late visibility and the parallax means nothing if the stock fits you and you don't move your head around when shooting.
The little 1-4 Leupold is a great scope and all the power I need for killing deer at anything inside of 300yds.

wonderwolf
10-17-2017, 07:45 PM
I have one on a "truck rifle" .30/06 savage axis barrel is cut down to 16.5" loud but compact and handy.

brass410
10-17-2017, 08:34 PM
I leave the scope in the bathroom cabinet, I tried to see thru it once on my rifle, it made everything look blurry greenish blue I guess it was as you mentioned "parallax" but I'm pretty sure that was in the box next to the scope, since I try to be pretty practiced at the range and the box said for irregularity I figured I was regular. So the next time I'm out to the range I will take both and try again!!!!

scattershot
10-17-2017, 11:17 PM
I have a shotgun scope on my H&R .444 single shot. I like it. If it works for you, why bother with anyone else's opinion?

charles1990
10-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Use a 2-7 Bushy slug scope on my TC Contender 50 cal MZ bbl. Works just great !

Shopdog
10-20-2017, 06:31 AM
On my 541S there's an interesting scope.Was in a gun store,nice old school type place that see's tons of traffic.They have a decent used scope selection where they separate rigs coming in to boost used sales.But this was 15 or so years ago.The scope trend was really getting traction on,"my objective is bigger than yours".....to a fault.

So,for 40$ got a mint Burris 4x32 with a post reticle,think it's a German #4?Anyway nobody wanted it.....one of the clearest,bestest scopes this hillbilly has ever seen.The salesman knew what it was,nice and extremely knowledgeable on optics.We both just laughed about the "trend".It's never been taken off the 541.

I use the 1-4x20 Leupold shotgun scopes on several CF rigs.The thick reticle will work with precision if you use a black square aiming point that is about the size of the crosshairs say @100.The trick is tons of dry fire practice (always good) so you're intimate with the trigger.Good BR quality rest/bags really help.But you slowly move the crosshair till it covers the square "dot"....then don't think,yank the trigger haha.Squeeze it really,just don't waste time.Cover square,shoot.Try coming in from the same direction for consistency.I can shoot alllllmost as good now with them as their skinny counterparts.

rking22
10-20-2017, 09:02 AM
I use a white "+ sign" created by the white gaps between 4 large black squares. The gaps between the black squares allow a white border arround the crosshairs in use. Sighting is by maintaining the white gap around the crosshairs. Same principal as front and rear aparetures with a round bull in position rifle. Extremely precise when the dimensions match the crosshairs in use. Can experiment with post-it notes, use orange or dark color, and don't tru to make the visual white gap tiny. Like a peep sight we can center the cross wires in the gap, easier with a reasonable gap.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-20-2017, 12:27 PM

From them among others. .22 rimfire sporting shooting does often require more precise shot placement, or accuracy as it is sometimes termed, than high power. A sixty yard rabbit is smaller than a 200 yard deer. So the thickness of the crosshairs is a point. But duplex reticules are common now, and the point of anything pointed is a point. There is probably no better range than 75 yards for the parallax on a .22 to be corrected. The greatest way parallax can be made to harm accuracy, is flirtation with so many different rifles that you don't maintain perfectly consistent cheek and eye placement.

I've had excellent service from a steel K1.5 Weaver on a deer rifle. I also have a 2.5x Tasco Bantam (unfortunately with the 20mm. objective rather than the 32mm. they also did) which has an eye relief of about 5in., and is conveniently usable on a Cadet Martini. Its optical performance seems marvellous for the money, and it has a stippled lacquer which could very easily be retouched if it gets scratched.

I also have a pre-war Zeiss Zielklein scope of about 3x with a 7/8in. tube and 1950s Leupold external-adjustment mounts. I think we would have heard a lot more of those mounts, a really excellent design, if they hadn't been expensive to make. This scope is noticeably lacking in brightness, but still very superior to the common alternative of the time, no scope at all. It has a moving reticle like a little portcullials, which I think might make it peculiarly resistant to loss of adjustment through recoil or other jarring. There are range figures on the internal adjustment, which I would assume without having used it yet to be for .22 rimfire. So it could be used purely for range, with true zeroing done on the external mounts.

Drm50
10-20-2017, 12:52 PM
When I was a kid everyone had the little Pee Whistle 1/2 tube scopes on their 22s. I probably would have had one too but my rifle wasn't grooved or D&T for scope. I shot them on buddies
guns and didn't like them. They were ok for plinking but not much account in the woods. I wrote
scopes off until one of my dads friends came squirrel hunting with us. He had a Win 74 with a
K4 on it, standard cross hairs. He had no problem on head shots at 40yds. It impressed me and
I got a Rem 572 and k4 shortly after that. I have been putting 1" scopes of low power on 22s
ever since. I have never owned a Special 22rf scope, and never had parallax problem with a
straight power. I did send a 6x Leupold in to have it parallaxed for 22, it might have not been
necessary but scope was given to me with problems and I had it done with the service. Service
was free but they charge for adjustment to 22rf.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-22-2017, 02:38 PM
One of the big disasters of my shooting life was quite a few years back, when I went with a friend to a game and country fair in NE Scotland. On one of the trade tables I found a scope, probably made by Voigtlander, with claw mounts and a moulded leather case embossed with "Made for the Ross Rifle." It was probably pre-1914, as close as anyone at the time got to modern scope standards, and was marked £20.

Well the genetic heritage dies hard, and I put it down and hesitated in the hopes of a reduction... as one does. I was tragically misled by an incident many years before, when I was going to be away from London for some time, and a most respectable middle-aged high school library lady went down to the street market and bought the Model 1908 cavalry sword for me - the one Lieutenant Patton copied. She hesitated, due to realising that the stallholder had no wrapping paper, and he knocked off £2! She carried it through London in all its naked glory, without arrest.

But with the scope... My friend bought it! I didn't have the heart to protest. You can pay a lot more for the claw mounts nowadays.

Shopdog
10-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Good story Ballistics.

I've got four grown sons....bunch of hunting gun and bow boys.We/they go to a LOT of traditional archery rendezvous and gun shows.To say it's dog eat dog is an understatement.Seems like you get extra points for snaking your brother,haha.Then hold the item/s hostage.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Traditional archery? If you are ever stuck for a present, look for Robert Hardy the actor's "The Longbow". It is a practical guide, a history and a marvellous technical study, including his work as a member of the "Mary Rose" Trust, analysing and recreating the bows found in the wreck of Henry VIII's warship.

Hickory
10-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Parallex is real. It really shows up when shooting past 300 yards. and you don't adjust your scope for it. Ask any long range shooter.

Texas by God
10-24-2017, 12:12 PM
I shotened both ends of a Rem 788 .308 and installed a good recoil pad and a 4x diamond crosshair Bushnell scope. My niece claimed it and has killed two very nice bucks with it. She says the 16-1/2" barrel is handy but loud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thundarstick
10-28-2017, 09:45 PM
I have a Leupold 1-4x20 turkey plex on my 1885 375 H&H magnum and have no problem ringing 8 inch gongs at 200 yards. Rings them loud to! I also have an old Tasco shot gun scope on a old bolt gun that's killed bunches o critters. At 22lr ranges and low power scopes paralax just isn't that big a deal. To test your paralax induced error. Set the gun up on the bags scope on target at 25-75 yards and move your eye around behind the scope and you will see the cross hairs move around a bit, that's your paralax error.