PDA

View Full Version : A silly question

TXBRILL
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I have this neighbor that I take shooting now and then, anyway he is one of those bigger is better guys. I recently got him with some full house loads in my 45-70. Now he is driving me nuts about that 450 Cassul. I don't have one of those but I do have a Freedom Arms 5-shot that will take any load. The question is does anybody know a real punishing load that will teach him a lesson. I know this is Cast Boolits but I don't cast, just reload so a jacketed load would be best. I just have lead loads of questionable hardness.

Thanks
Allen

S.R.Custom
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
You can give him a load that will break both his wrists, and he's just going to say "Eh... that's not too hot. I was shooting a Mondo-Mag the other day, and..."

Want to teach him a lesson? Hang out with some less annoying friends... ;)

missionary5155
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
How about a 12 guage single shot break open of recent manufacture (the lighter the better) . Take a 3 inch fired hull... add 135 grains FF black powder. Add a cut down shot cup (remove the "base part") : Place inside the filled hull and add a .685 round ball. Close up the shot shell. Now challenge your freind to fire that one handed. This should get his attention... Sadly the smoke will cover up the inicial pained look.

dmickey
08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Good way to lose a friend!!

TXBRILL
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I am not looking to kill the guy just point out that it is no fun to those monsters. When he shot my model 29 I forgot to take off the Hogue grips and put the original S&W grips back on. Those original wood grips have to be the worst ever.

Treeman
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Some people do ENJOY the monster stomper handgun rounds. If he likes heavy recoiling handguns why do you feel compelled to teach him "better"? Just let him buy his own.

cbrick
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I have this neighbor that I take shooting now and then, anyway he is one of those bigger is better guys. I recently got him with some full house loads in my 45-70. Now he is driving me nuts about that 450 Cassul. I don't have one of those but I do have a Freedom Arms 5-shot that will take any load. The question is does anybody know a real punishing load that will teach him a lesson. I know this is Cast Boolits but I don't cast, just reload so a jacketed load would be best. I just have lead loads of questionable hardness.

Thanks Allen

I'll assume that "450" is a typo and you meant 454.

What 5 shot FA do you have? We only know that its not a 454. There are many calibers yet your asking for a load??

While the FA revolver is certainly an extremely well built and strong revolver the statement "I do have a Freedom Arms 5-shot that will take any load" is a bit over the edge. NO revolver (or firearm for that matter) will "take any load". Thinking that it can could very well put you (and your fine revolver of unknown caliber) in a world of hurt. Would be a real shame to hear of you picking your nose with your elbow.

Rick

Bret4207
08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm kinda with Supermag on this. Guys like that are irritating.

TXBRILL
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I did mean 454 and the FA is a .45LC so I should have said it will handle any .45LC load not any load. Most of the loads in my books are for Colt SAA at SAAMI specs which are quite mild

Thanks for the correction I think faster, than I type and I type poorly even at my slow hunt and peck speed.

As for teaching him better after he shot the 400 grain jacketed Speers at 1800 or so fps he did realize that bigger is not better.

Allen

jameslovesjammie
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Take any gun you are comfortable shooting and have reasonable accuracy with. It doesn't matter how much or little recoil it has. Then put a target up at 25 yards and have him shoot a group. Then YOU shoot a group. If his is smaller, move up to a bigger cartridge until he can't perform. Anyone can pull a trigger. A marksman can do it despite recoil. Most people I know who shoot larger calibers have a hard time at 25 yards making a decent group with a 125 grain full house .357 load. The blast startles them.

Another option is to do the same thing with your .45 Colt, but seat a bullet in an empty case. When he's going to shoot a cylinder full, put your empty cartridge in and watch him flinch when he gets to that hole.

I guess what I am saying is that 99% of blowhards can't back up what their mouths spew. Show him you're the better man, that is the lesson to teach him.

44man
08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Not a good idea to seat in an empty unless the primer is dead. A primer can blow the bullet into the barrel and if he quickly fires another, goodbye gun.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
go buy a box of freedom arms ammo. There aint to many handloads that you will load that will equal it in snot!