PDA

View Full Version : 22 TCM? need help

mozeppa
09-19-2017, 04:18 PM
sent a copy of this post to hatch...but i don't think he's online right now.

i'm just now starting to load this caliber....(but i'm old hat to loading most other pistol rounds.

if you'd be so kind as to school me just a tad...i'd be grateful!

i have hornady dies ...lyman T-mag press...factory "AP" brass and they sent me what i assume to be hornady 40 grain jacketed hollow point bullets.
all componets are new ...not reloads.

i've settled on 10.3 grains of h110 powder. winchester primers.
so i start my first bullet to load and am setting my seat die depth....when i get it seated up to the top of the cannelure on the bullet ....it is still 30 thousands
to long for c.o.l.

do i ignore the cannelure and shove it on down in there then crimp
oh....my brass has all been trimmed to 1.25" in length.

thanks in advance for ANY help!

mike

gwpercle
09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
When seated to the cannelure does it passthe plunk test ?
I usually start my loading with a dummy round. no primer , no powder and seat to the cannelure.
Then try it in the guns chamber. If it plunks right in then it's time to load it into the magazine and see if it will manually feed and extract. If there are any problems adjust seating depth until they will function, usually deeper . If it will feed , chamber and extract manually it's time to load a few with powder and primer , head to range and see how they function.
I learned a long time ago each firearm requires seating depth to be worked out, The OAL and /or COL given in a book is just a go by and may not be correct for your gun.
Keep the dummy for setting your die the next time around .
Good luck,
Gary

str8wal
09-20-2017, 11:12 PM
I may be wrong, but I think it unlikely the cannelure on those bullets was positioned solely for the 22 TCM so wouldn't be too concerned with it. I assume you are using a taper crimp, no?

oger
09-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Make sure the OAL length of the brass is correct there was a real problem with that on a lot of new brass.

mozeppa
09-22-2017, 07:36 AM
hornady sends a collet crimp with this die set.

i ignored the cannelure on a test piece ...now it looks like a factory round and all is good...made and shot one.

again ...all is good.