PDA

View Full Version : Jon K be da man!

Buckshot
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
..............Our club puts on a monthly "Buffalo Match", which I've mentioned before. Jon K called me Monday and wanted to know if I was going to shoot the upcoming match, this coming Sunday? I said yes and he wanted to know what I was going to shoot. All I had were 30+ swaged PP'd slugs for the Rigby ML'er so I said I'd probably be shooting it again.

Jon K said he had worked up a really good BP load for his Marlin M95 in 45-70. I was the Lyman 330gr HP Gould slug lubed with Lars, over 60 grs of 1-1/2Fg + 2x 0.60" wads. This has the Gould sitting just right to crimp into it's crimp groove. I have a Pedersoli Sharps Business rifle in 45-70 and he said if I was going to be there tomorrow (Tuesday) I could try the loads in it, as he said he had about 20 left over. His Marlin leveraction was printing 3" at 200 meters with them.

So the next day I showed up with the Sharps and Jon K set the ammo down. Looking at it I figured the slug looked like it was seated a bit short for the Sharps, but what the heck, eh? Jon asked to see the sights and asked what it was sighted for. I said a centerhit on the rifle bull with a 6 o'clock hold at 50 yards. About 4.5" above POA. Jon said to raise it 5 lines (who knows what the lines mean, it's a Pedersoli sight).

There was a full sized ram set up at 200 meters. I had an apurture in place up front so just encircled the ram in it. With the trigger set, a bit of pressure on the front one sent the slug off with a nice boom and a cloud of smoke. Jon was watching with his spotting scope and said it went just under his belly and over the rail, so come up 2 more "Lines" :-P

Next 2 shots were hits with good elevation but a bit right. BTW, I wipped between shots. One patch 'Just Damp' with Birchwood Casey #77, and then one dry patch had the bore shinning. Pretty good coaching. A Guestimation on the sight and the 2nd shot hit.

So then he says to take the half size swinger out there at 200 meters. First shot was just off his rump. Would have been a good hit on the larger one. So he says crank in one mark left windage. Next 2 shots were hits on the half sized animal. [smilie=w:

Watch me screw this up Sunday :groner:

.................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Ol' Jon K knows a little something about that ram-slamming bit, for sure. Just leave the thoughts of the Swedish Bikini Team in the garage as you depart for the Sunday match, and all should go well. They haven't showed up at Inland for quite some time.

Just watch out for Mike Dillon's Blue Press Ladies. They are known to show up at shooting sites unexpectedly.

mtnman31
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I second that. Jon recently invited me out to my very first BPCR silhouette match at Pala. I told him I had just gotten my rifle and had not even begun to play with the BPCR load yet. When I showed up for the match he had waiting for me, a box of loads he had worked up for my rifle. Together we spent a few minutes getting some general ideas of sight settings for the different ranges we'd be shooting and he also provided me with some BPCR basics. Keep in mind that this was the first time I had put any lead through the rifle and also the first time I had shot on a soule/vernier and globe type sight. With his great tutoring and a some help from a few of the other guys at the range I had a great first day. At the 300 I knocked down ten pigs. I still need a bit of work on the rams (get my zero dialed in) and of course some more practice with the chickens. His friendliness and willingness to take in a new shooter to the discipline exemplify what I most enjoy about the people I have encountered on this site.

Jon, thanks again for a fantastic day of shooting and learning. I'll spot for you anytime. :drinks:

Boz330
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I can't say as I've ever run into anyone in the silly wet crowd that wasn't like Jon. I'm sure there are some but I haven't run into them. Opinionated yes but still helpful and friendly. Just like this board.

Bob