PDA

View Full Version : Macon Gunstocks - Any experiences??

cuzinbruce
09-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I am thinking about getting a stock for a Krag and see them listed on this companies website. I have never done any business with them. Does anyone here have any experience with this company, Macon Gunstocks, Warsaw, MO?
Thanks,
Bruce

Preacher Jim
09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
I have read good and bad on them. Never used their stocks always get mine from walnut grove.

osteodoc08
09-18-2017, 10:39 PM
I've used them and have had good luck with them. There was another member here that had horrible service.

seaboltm
09-19-2017, 12:45 AM
I bought two. First was great, second was not.

W.R.Buchanan
09-19-2017, 03:15 AM
I was the one who they tried to screw. They said they had an NRA Sporter Stock for a Springfield. $200

It came made from sap wood and not even remotely resembling a NRA Sporter. Maybe an 80% stock when it was supposed to be 95%. Inletting looked like someone did it with a die grinder. Definitely not worth $50 let alone $200.

I called them for return and the person on the phone told me I was an amateur and that they charged a 25% restocking fee.

I just called my Credit Card Company and they gave me my money back. no way I was going to lose $50 just to look at a ***.

The attitude of the female person on the phone did it for me. She was a complete snot and acted like she knew my work better than I do. Not something someone like that will get away with from me.

I would highly recommend NOT using this outfit as the have an undeservedly high opinion of themselves.

Believe me if what they had shipped me was remotely close to what they said they were shipping me I would have been quite satisfied. I could have made it work.

I would have been better off starting from scratch. Still haven't done anything with that gun, and I have the rather expensive Butt Plate and Barrel Band waiting for a decent stock.

Randy

cuzinbruce
09-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks. I guess it is a **** shoot. A lot of the stockmakers seem to have shaky feedback. I did see an NRA Sporter on their website. The Krag stock I am thinking about is similar. I have a sporterized Krag with a stock that I don't like, Bubba'd. Since the barrel is shortened, I thought I would get a Krag carbine repro stock. The gun is sporterized so originality doesn't count. I have been looking on eBay for a cut down rifle stock but most of the ones I have seen there have too many problems or go for way too much. Can anyone suggest a better source for a repro Krag carbine stock?

osteodoc08
09-22-2017, 02:04 PM
I was the one who they tried to screw. They said they had an NRA Sporter Stock for a Springfield. $200

It came made from sap wood and not even remotely resembling a NRA Sporter. Maybe an 80% stock when it was supposed to be 95%. Inletting looked like someone did it with a die grinder. Definitely not worth $50 let alone $200.

I called them for return and the person on the phone told me I was an amateur and that they charged a 25% restocking fee.

I just called my Credit Card Company and they gave me my money back. no way I was going to lose $50 just to look at a ***.

The attitude of the female person on the phone did it for me. She was a complete snot and acted like she knew my work better than I do. Not something someone like that will get away with from me.

I would highly recommend NOT using this outfit as the have an undeservedly high opinion of themselves.

Believe me if what they had shipped me was remotely close to what they said they were shipping me I would have been quite satisfied. I could have made it work.

I would have been better off starting from scratch. Still haven't done anything with that gun, and I have the rather expensive Butt Plate and Barrel Band waiting for a decent stock.

Randy

It wasn't just you. There was another member here as well that had a difficult time with them. So it sounds like more bad than good for our members here.

rintinglen
09-27-2017, 02:46 PM
I have one of their stocks on my sporterized 1903 Springfield and it was OK, decent figure and pretty well inletted. My brother helped me with the inletting--he's better than I at that sort of stuff, but I felt it was good for the money. I can only presume that the old saw about paying your money and taking your chances enters here.

Wayne Smith
10-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Check Treebone's website. He has a lot of patterns, I don't know if he has the Krag. Be aware he leaves them about 10% proud or large.