PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.0? Yay-Nay?

.45Cole
09-17-2017, 01:17 PM
I've been looking into a diesel and it will be a Ford F-350 dually-decided. I've been a little hesitant on the 05-07 6.0, best value over the 6.4/6.7, more power and more conviences than 7.3. I can do most of the work myself, and I've done the research on the common problems (voltages/FICM, coolers). I'm not going to pony up for a 6.4, and I can't afford a 6.7 (or the maintenance). What are your experiences with the 6.0? They're getting more popular as the 6.7's routinely break $100K nowadays.

Sweetpea
09-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Great engine, loads of power.

When it runs.

These need to be "bulletproofed" to the tune of 15-20k.

Injectors, egr, injectors, high pressure oil pump, injectors... Did I mention injectors?

4-5k job to have the injectors replaced.

The 6.0 has gobs of power, but I think the designers were on stupid pills...

corbinace
09-17-2017, 01:25 PM
We had a slug of them in our fleet. They kept us busy. Ficm , coolers, injector o-ring, egr valves, turboes. Any and everything above the head gasket, all costly.
They left the fleet early and we were glad to see them gone.

.45Cole
09-17-2017, 01:32 PM
I've heard about the injector problem. My neighbor did all 8 injectors in an afternoon in about 4 hours himself, with craftsman tools. He's about 24 and not a mechanic, but can follow directions. I've heard his truck start in -10*F weather consistently and he runs it about 3 blocks to work and parks it. Did this everyday for the winter, which lasts nov-april here.

flint45
09-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Ford-NAY!

lylejb
09-18-2017, 12:11 AM
As a former Ford dealership technician......you'll be sorry.

Houndog
09-18-2017, 06:46 AM
If you are going to buy a Ford diesel the old 7.3 is the only game in town in my opinion! That's a REAL truck engine with many years and miles of service to prove itself. The rest are just money pits. The isuzu powered GM products and the Cummins powered Dodges and Nissans are far better choices.

Lloyd Smale
09-18-2017, 07:04 AM
I agree with houndog. The 7.3 is by far the best. It would about have to be free for me to buy a 6.0. Son in law is a diesel mechanic and allways said the 6.0 fords fed his family.

Smoke4320
09-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Stay far far away from the Ford 6.0 engines

tja6435
09-18-2017, 08:33 AM
i have a 99 F350 with 280.5k on my 7.3. It is hard on battery sets (about 2.5 years max on a set before needing replaced), it is sometimes impossible to get started in the winter if it hasn't been plugged in overnight. That said, it doesn't require $8-15k of bulletproofing, it is very reliable (other than cold weather), it has plenty of power to pull whatever up and down mountain passes. It will not run much above 10,200' altitude. I live at 8500', average 14+ mpg.

Mytmousemalibu
09-18-2017, 09:54 AM
If you are going to buy a Ford diesel the old 7.3 is the only game in town in my opinion! That's a REAL truck engine with many years and miles of service to prove itself. The rest are just money pits. The isuzu powered GM products and the Cummins powered Dodges and Nissans are far better choices.

The Duramax is not an Isuzu built engine. A commonly repeated wives tail that needs to die. It was co designed with Isuzu, a GM owned subsidiary. All of the Duramax V8's are built right here in America.

Worlds better choice than a 6-leaker. If sticking with Ford, 7.3L is best option.

pmer
09-18-2017, 10:42 AM
I have a '04 F450 with 6.0 and a 6 speed manual. It has about 125,000 miles on it and it's not a daily driver. I bought it used with 114,000 and had it 5 years or so. I did the EGR delete and oil cooler preemptively and had Ford make sure it had a stock engine tune in it. It recently needed a FICM and fan clutch or sensor. It pulls up to 15,000 lbs on a goose neck in the summer.

It's up to you if you wanna buy one but so far it has worked for me. I let it warm up before I go and cool down before I turn it off and run 5-40 synthetic oil. It seems like a pain to do it this way but it has not stranded me anyways. If it died I'd l think I'd look at putting a 12 valve cummings in it or rebuilding a 6.0 with all the emission stuff removed because the emission equipment is what kills them.

bob208
09-18-2017, 10:44 AM
why would you pay that much for any truck then have to put more money into it to make it run right and reliable?

texasnative46
09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
.45cole.

Definitely, NAY on the 6.0. = It has seemingly every POSSIBLE problem that a diesel engine can have.
(Here in TX there is a "cottage industry" of "bullet-proofing" the 6.0 trucks, as over 1500.oo each.= That's a "problem" & expense that I can do without.)

IF you would take my advice (as a longtime Ford diesel guy), find/buy either a 1992-93 IDI or an early Powerstroke truck with the ZF manual transmission.

The old, "primitive" NAVISTAR-engined trucks, if purchased in low-mileage/excellent condition & even "half-way maintained" will likely outlast YOU.
(Here in the SW there are plenty of rust-free, low-mileage, ONE owner F250/F350/F450 trucks & that can be purchased for 5,000.oo or less in excellent condition. = I paid 2,750.oo for my one-owner, "extended cab" 1990 F250 with ZF, with 140,000 total miles & then spent <1,000.oo doing upgrades & "routine preventative maintenance items".)

Note: The old/simple/mechanical IDI engines will happily run on used vegetable oil, filtered used motor oil, ATF & any number of other "alternative fuels", in the event that petro-diesel is unavailable or too expensive for the owner to afford. - Also, the IDI trucks will generally get 18-22MPG on the highway & 16MPG in city/stop & go driving.
(I drove a well-used 1986 F250 well over 100,000 miles on used vegetable oil, without problems, until the underbody finally "rusted-out" when I was stationed up north/"in the salt".)

just my OPINIONS, tex

texasnative46
09-18-2017, 11:58 AM
.45cole,

Btw, the PRE-1997 Powerstroke trucks seem to be nearly as indestructible as the IDI PUs are. = One of our South TX Ford Diesel Truck Club owners has well over 500,000 miles on his 1995 XLT Lariat, that he bought new in OCT 1994. - It shows few signs of being worn-out.
(He told me on a "club cruise" last fall that, "I've long ago lost count of the number of tires & batteries that I've bought for my truck.")

yours, tex

Handloader109
09-18-2017, 01:34 PM
My '97 was a really good old truck. I kind of hate getting rid of it. 7.3 engine with Road rear end, and Automatic. Loaded up, not pulling anything I would get 20+mpg, pulling 15k, 10mpg. Couple hundred K mileage and only one issue that I spend much on. Flywheel cracked. Go with 7.3

Mytmousemalibu
09-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I have had a long history of diesel Fords in our family and really liked them. The first being our family owned F-350 Landoll flatbed car hauler. It was a 1991, brick-nose with a 7.3 IDI, ZF5 manual transmission, that we kept in immaculate condition and it looked it, despite the truck having spent its whole life hauling 2 cars around at once. One on top, one on the towbar stinger. Still purring like a kitten when we sold it with 850,000 miles on it. Original engine, trans, etc.

We also had a very clean 86' F-350 single cab dually with a 6.9L IDI and ZF 4-speed. It pulled our fully laiden 40ft gooseneck race trailer no problem to do 70mph. Between us and a couple friends with IDI Fords, I really love them,such a good engine! An IDI with a turbo is a hard running engine, capable of keeping up quite well. My buddy has a 7.3L IDI with an old ATS turbo kit and a slightly turned up pump and that thing screams! The factory Ford tubo IDI's were detuned to not make the new powerstroke look bad. I personally had a 95' crew cab, long bed, single rear axle, ZF5 and I loved that truck till some idiot ran a red light and totaled it. Today I have an 03' 2500HD Silverado, Duramax/Allison that I adore.

Menner
09-18-2017, 08:21 PM
My Son has a 03 F350 with the 6.0 and I now know entirely to much about 6.0's more than I ever wanted to.
We have bullet proofed it, APR head studs, Tuner, EGR Delete, Hipo Oil Pump, Oil Cooler, coolant filter kit etc....... That thing runs like a scalded ape when it is running right. most cars don't want any part of that truck. but it likes to pop IPR's and that is instant stop
Personally I would look for a good 7.3 Turbo those things just keep going and with a few upgrades they pull as well as any truck out there

texasnative46
09-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Menner,

EVERYBODY that I know who has a 6.0 has had MAJOR problems with it. = SOME are STILL having "problems" who have spent the $$$$$$$ to get their new truck "bullet-proofed".

yours, tex

osteodoc08
09-18-2017, 09:23 PM
6.0 or even the 6.4-----Run away. And I'm a ford guy.

6.7L fords are good as are the 7.3

Duramax and Cummins before the 6.0 or 6.4

pmer
09-19-2017, 10:33 AM
I had a company owned F250 with a 6.4 from new to about 160,000 miles. It had troubles too. I drove it in for repair a few times and it was towed in once as well. Around 110.000 miles it seemed to run pretty well and behaved pretty good. Other 6.4s in the fleet had various troubles too. A buddy that farms had a 6.4 too and it was having trouble. He sent a engine oil sample in for analysis like for his tractors and combines and it came back as "stop driving immediately" because of metallic deposits. Showed the results dealer and they said drive it because of warranty and they would handle it as troubles came up. He eventually traded it for a 6.7 and he likes that one.

blackthorn
09-19-2017, 12:08 PM
So----Fords are like Lee moulds---except for the price??

lightman
09-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Thats cold!:)

Soundguy
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Great engine, loads of power.

When it runs.

These need to be "bulletproofed" to the tune of 15-20k.

Injectors, egr, injectors, high pressure oil pump, injectors... Did I mention injectors?

4-5k job to have the injectors replaced.

The 6.0 has gobs of power, but I think the designers were on stupid pills...

I agree.. powerhouses.. but you have to go thru and de-hair them as stated.

I have a 6.0 and (2) 7.3's

I must say that I like a 7.3 better. Sure.. a hair older.. but IMHO.. more reliable. I'd take a 2003 7.3 vs a 2004 6.0 any day.

Soundguy
09-19-2017, 02:30 PM
So----Fords are like Lee moulds---except for the price??

the 7.3 was an international engine and a darn good one. It's been called a 500k mile engine.

If I had to replace my old 7.3's today, I think a old dodge with a 5.9 in them would do it.

Eldon
09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
D-O-D-G-E. Cummins are just the best diesel engines available in a pickup.

Buy a powerpoke or a melt-a-max if you trade every 3 years.

Soundguy
09-19-2017, 03:04 PM
D-O-D-G-E. Cummins are just the best diesel engines available in a pickup.

Buy a powerpoke or a melt-a-max if you trade every 3 years.

My (2) 18 year old 'powerpokes' might disagree with you...

Mytmousemalibu
09-19-2017, 03:53 PM
As would my nearly 15yr old Duramax.

The Cummins is a fine engine for the most part but I don't care for the wrapper they come in.

Eldon
09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
FL & KS ? Flatlander trucks.

Here we start at 7000' and go up. 85% of vehicles here are pickemups, 90% of them run on oil and 90 % of them are Cummins powered.

Neighbor had a melt-a-max, melted two pistons towing a 5 horse slant up the Teton pass. I rescued him with my 16 year old Dodge Cummins.

He bought a new Ram.

Mytmousemalibu
09-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Mine is a KS truck but it has toted around our 40ft gooseneck race trailer, loaded to the hilt, a/c on an 75-80mph no problem. Don't have much for mountains but pretty good grades in the flint hills. Oh and on top of that its got between 550-600hp available with all the work I've done to it. Not done out of necessity but out of my love for mean diesels. No vehicle is perfect, they all have something that sours the milk a little. Mine being an LB7, first generation, it has eaten a few fuel injectors and they suck to replace on LB7's. The only real bain of that engine.

Soundguy
09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
My 99 450 7.3 pad was bought in Florida, but towed a rv trailer to and from Michigan yearly. As of the last 7 years, now it ot mostly stays in Florida, though trips west thru texas do happen. It now hauls a 30' flatbed usually carrying 14K worth of hay round bales, and an occasional vehicle from Georgia.

My 99 f350 7.3 never did the Michigan trip, but hauled boats to the coast, and pulled my equipment flatbed with tractors, loaders and large mowers on it ( like 10' and 15' batwing mowers )

Both run full syn 5w40 engine oil, syn power steering, tranny and rear end oil.

The 450 has syn put in the day it drove off the ford lot, the 350 since 09 or so.

No engine work to either one. They've had the usual, tires, brakes, a radiator, window motor, various sensor or an electrical module. The 350 did plenty of grunt hauling and about 8 ys ago had a rail mounted fuel pump replaced, and as of November last year, I treated it to a new jasper HD bearings/tranny.

If anything, that was the weak point.. The 4spd OD tranny behind the diesel.

The 450 tranny is fine, but I added extra capacity coolers for its trans and power steering, as well as a upgrade add on gauge package , pyrometer, etc.

I like dodges too. I had a 98 5.9 magnum ram. Engine was fine, never seemed like enough brakes though, and I like the stiffer stock ford suspension on the 350. My 450 I have air bags on. It can go gooseneck or 5th wheel, the 350 is gooseneck setup.

Soundguy
09-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Mine is a KS truck but it has toted around our 40ft gooseneck race trailer, loaded to the hilt, a/c on an 75-80mph no problem. Don't have much for mountains but pretty good grades in the flint hills. Oh and on top of that its got between 550-600hp available with all the work I've done to it. Not done out of necessity but out of my love for mean diesels. No vehicle is perfect, they all have something that sours the milk a little. Mine being an LB7, first generation, it has eaten a few fuel injectors and they suck to replace on LB7's. The only real bain of that engine.

I hear ya on the upgrades.

My 450 got an add on chip way back before tuners were popular. I did switch it to a multi vin superchips tuner a couple years ago that would handle both the 7.3's I have. With the upgraded suspension, coolers, tune, extra 50gallon transfer tech fuel tank and gauges, she will pull 25.9k all day. 19.5" rims and a 4.88 rear. The 350 has a 4.10 rear.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2017, 06:48 AM
why not just buy a dodge with a hemi, a chev with 6.2 or a ford with 5.8. All pretty much bullet proof motors. Sure the diesels make a bit more power but the modern gas motors will tow more then enough to get you in trouble on the road. Get just as good of mileage if used as a daily driver and last a good long time these days. Truth be told theres VERY FEW people driving these diesel pickups that really need them. Sure they will pull your farm tractor better but how many are farmers. How many own big construction companys that benefit from them. Most that I see up here are drove by 65 year old retired people pulling a 25 foot camper that a car would pull. Sure some of the better diesels last a bit longer, sure they get better fuel economy pulling big loads but when I looked at the car lot when I bought my 15 Silverado. it had a sticker price of 45k loaded to the gills. A comparable 3/4 ton diesel are north of 60k. I can buy a lot of fuel for 15k and with there track record would be a nervous guy when the warrantee expired. I know I sure couldn't afford to sink 5 or 10k into fixing a truck without another visit to the bank. Bottom line too is the newer half ton pickups have drive trains and brakes that would put a 1970s 3/4 ton truck to shame and those farmers and construction companys got by with those old trucks just fine with there 200 hp gas motors. Id bet my home that 1/2 the diesel trucks sold today are bought by people that don't need them at all or might see an advantage once or twice a year. They buy them for a status symbol. Heck the 15 or 20k I saved would buy me a couple new complete motors if they wore out.

pmer
09-20-2017, 07:54 AM
In a way the same can be said about the hybrid cars with the batteries. The extra cost for the electro drive can buy a lot gas.

If I got out of antique tractor pulling I wouldn't have a diesel. But diesels seem happier pulling a load and are built stronger.

Used 6.0s with under 200K miles are 6-8 thousand and some are bullet proofed.

Mytmousemalibu
09-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Speaking for myself here but I've been a dieselhead since birth, always have, always will be. From a necessity standpoint, ive towed with gas engines, can't say I cared for them over a good diesel in any way. Unless you've towed the same load with both, it probably doesn't make sense. Diesels have more grunt, better economy, longer lived, more reliable, better retained value, etc. Besides diesel trucks, ive had a long history of diesel cars. I currently have 3 diesel Mercedes and until recently had a JD diesel tractor. I'm a mechanic by nature, I work in aviation now but worked automotive my whole life. I practically lived at the family car dealership as a kid fixing cars for my dad. Needless to say I do all my own work, not afarid to touch a wrench to anything so that isn't a factor.

For me and for many others diesel isn't just a fuel, its a way of life.

texasnative46
09-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Mytmousemalibu,

PERSONAL to you: I cannot resist telling you about my new TOY that I bought about 1500 hours yesterday.
It's a ONE-owner 1986 Mercedes 420SEL with 90,286 miles in ANTIQUE GOLD outside & BRONZE leather inside. The PO ordered it with every possible MB option. - Other than needing the 6YO battery replaced & all the fluids flush & refilled, it needs NOTHING.
(It was a FOURTH vehicle, which the 91YO/deceased owner seldom drove, as his daily driver was a 1986 F250 Diesel.)

yours, tex

Soundguy
09-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Speaking for myself here but I've been a dieselhead since birth, always have, always will be. From a necessity standpoint, ive towed with gas engines, can't say I cared for them over a good diesel in any way. Unless you've towed the same load with both, it probably doesn't make sense. Diesels have more grunt, better economy, longer lived, more reliable, better retained value, etc. Besides diesel trucks, ive had a long history of diesel cars. I currently have 3 diesel Mercedes and until recently had a JD diesel tractor. I'm a mechanic by nature, I work in aviation now but worked automotive my whole life. I practically lived at the family car dealership as a kid fixing cars for my dad. Needless to say I do all my own work, not afarid to touch a wrench to anything so that isn't a factor.

For me and for many others diesel isn't just a fuel, its a way of life.

Agreed. Having pulled with a gasser, then switching to a diesel is night and day. I've also found that while daily driving on a gas/diesel are real close numbers, but stick 26K behind one, and the gasser fuel economy goes to hell if you try to get the same towing characteristics as the diesel.

One other benefit.. during the hurricanes down here in florida.. you can sometimes find a diesel pump with fuel, while all the gas pumps are out. did that a few times last week myself.

I also like the extra battery capacity that most diesels have. I have (2) 950 CCA per truck . That comes in way handy when you need extra juice, vs a single 650 setting in a gasser.

Another look at fuel economy. I have both gas and diesel tractors. the gassers are 50's / 60's models. the diesel are late 50's thru 70's models, with one 2000 model.

Once you hit about 48-50 hp... gas tractors burn more than a diesel counterpart doing the same work, on the same frame. For instance.. Ford used a red tiger OHV engine design. by 1958, you could get a 172ci gas or diesel engine of that design in your tractor. Side by side, same tractor, same tranny, same weight, same work.. the gasser used more fuel. ( yes there were 144 ci diesels as well as other save configuratios of that engine in gas and LP and for industrials, from 134 thru 192 ci )

Soundguy
09-20-2017, 10:59 AM
why not just buy a dodge with a hemi, a chev with 6.2 or a ford with 5.8. All pretty much bullet proof motors.

I did have a dodge.. it drank more gas doing the same work that I still do with a larger diesel. PS.. a for 5.4? make sure you have the older one.. not the newer one that breaks spark plugs off when you change them!

-----how many are farmers.

I am.

.....and with there track record would be a nervous guy when the warrantee expired.

I dunno.. fords 7.3 NA , 7.3 ATS turbo, and the 7.3 PSD are known to be some long running trucks. If going with a dodge 5.9, just address the dowel pin issue ahead of time.

..... newer half ton pickups have drive trains and brakes that would put a 1970s 3/4 ton truck to shame

70's? how about compairing them to something more modern.. like a late 90's / early 2000's. 4 wheel disc brakes are 4 wheel disc brakes. The suspension on my 98 half ton gasser was never near as good as my 99 diesel, nor were the brakes on my 98 gasser half ton.

lup
09-20-2017, 11:15 AM
2006 Ford 6.0 owner. I've replaced 4 injectors and one high pressure oil pump on the engine. No other issues. Injectors run about $300 each plus labor. The high pressure oil pump was a much bigger job.

Biggest thing you can do to keep it happy. Use the factory motorcraft duel filters. They have an anti-fungal that cuts down on the stuff growing in the diesel.

Overall, the truck has more power than I need and gets decent fuel economy. 14 mpg around town and 17-21 highway unloaded.

It a big truck and parts are expensive however. Maintenance is everything.

.45Cole
09-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Lup, that's what I think is key to the 6.0. 7.3's are old beasts that can run on anything and you maintain it as you have time. 7.3's are commonly chipped, oil changed whenever (like 8-10k miles) and generally run hard. I think that part of the rep is people used to the 7.3 treating a 6.0 the same way. It seems that most of the 6.0 owners who took good care and maintained them with high quality lubes/fuel seem to have the normal problems. an injector here, sensor there, 7.3's commonly eat glow plugs and eventually will require injectors here and there (after 200k).

The real difference in a 1/2 ton and a 1 ton is the suspension. I have a 5.0 150 that can't even hook up to my brother's bumper pull flatbed; maxes out the suspension. The brakes and drivetrain on the half tons aren't made for heavy loads, but the opposite is true; if you have a 1 ton without a load it's going to be rough riding and probably start chaffing harnesses if it's your daily driver. I have a 150, and an older 250 but I need something that can pull a 10k tractor on a 6k trailer up Eisenhower pass (ya, it's about two hours away). 1 ton duallys commonly have 4.10's in them which really help in the mountains and they have the grunt to get hte job done without overworking the system. Plus I wouldn't want to get pulled over in a 1/2 ton with 15k behind me and the trooper asks "what do you think this weighs" -oh its a foam tractor, movie prop. Yeah, I'd say maybe 7k???

Lloyd Smale
09-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Unless your using it every day to pull a load the gas motors get the same economy going down the road and gas is enough cheaper that the few times you actually pull something and get better economy with your diesel doesn't offset the day to day increase in cost per gallon. Nothing wrong with a good diesel truck. But theres a lot more wanabes then guys like soundguy that actually need one. Sorry but you just don't need one to pull a camper twice a year or a trailer with some atvs on it. For anyone other then someone that actually uses it as a work truck they are just not cost effective. If you just want one then fine buy one but don't try justifying it with bs like it saves money or a gas motor is to lame to pull your camper. Ill call bs on that every time. You will never recoup the 20k more they cost sitting on a lot or the 50 cents a gallon increase per gallon the fuel costs. Farmers and construction companys can save the 50cents buying off road fuel but even they are not suppose to put it in there pickups. I think about half the diesel trucks I see up here are twenty some year old guys with jacked up trucks with a dirt bike or four wheel in the bed or some old yuppie pulling his 20 foot camper that could be pulled with a car. Probably sat in an office all there lives and somehow feel like that Cummins motor makes them a macho trucker. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite myself. Ive got a 45k truck that is used 95 percent of the time as a car. I could get by with my jeep and my trailer to haul what I need hauled. But I don't pretend that I need it or that it somehow saves me money.
Agreed. Having pulled with a gasser, then switching to a diesel is night and day. I've also found that while daily driving on a gas/diesel are real close numbers, but stick 26K behind one, and the gasser fuel economy goes to hell if you try to get the same towing characteristics as the diesel.

One other benefit.. during the hurricanes down here in florida.. you can sometimes find a diesel pump with fuel, while all the gas pumps are out. did that a few times last week myself.

I also like the extra battery capacity that most diesels have. I have (2) 950 CCA per truck . That comes in way handy when you need extra juice, vs a single 650 setting in a gasser.

Another look at fuel economy. I have both gas and diesel tractors. the gassers are 50's / 60's models. the diesel are late 50's thru 70's models, with one 2000 model.

Once you hit about 48-50 hp... gas tractors burn more than a diesel counterpart doing the same work, on the same frame. For instance.. Ford used a red tiger OHV engine design. by 1958, you could get a 172ci gas or diesel engine of that design in your tractor. Side by side, same tractor, same tranny, same weight, same work.. the gasser used more fuel. ( yes there were 144 ci diesels as well as other save configuratios of that engine in gas and LP and for industrials, from 134 thru 192 ci )

Big Wes
09-21-2017, 06:17 AM
7.3 is way way better than any 6.0 no!

richbug
09-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Unless your using it every day to pull a load the gas motors get the same economy going down the road and gas is enough cheaper that the few times you actually pull something and get better economy with your diesel doesn't offset the day to day increase in cost per gallon. Nothing wrong with a good diesel truck. But theres a lot more wanabes then guys like soundguy that actually need one. Sorry but you just don't need one to pull a camper twice a year or a trailer with some atvs on it. For anyone other then someone that actually uses it as a work truck they are just not cost effective. If you just want one then fine buy one but don't try justifying it with bs like it saves money or a gas motor is to lame to pull your camper. Ill call bs on that every time. You will never recoup the 20k more they cost sitting on a lot or the 50 cents a gallon increase per gallon the fuel costs. Farmers and construction companys can save the 50cents buying off road fuel but even they are not suppose to put it in there pickups. I think about half the diesel trucks I see up here are twenty some year old guys with jacked up trucks with a dirt bike or four wheel in the bed or some old yuppie pulling his 20 foot camper that could be pulled with a car. Probably sat in an office all there lives and somehow feel like that Cummins motor makes them a macho trucker. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite myself. Ive got a 45k truck that is used 95 percent of the time as a car. I could get by with my jeep and my trailer to haul what I need hauled. But I don't pretend that I need it or that it somehow saves me money.

I'll add that even the guys that really use them as a truck may be better served with a medium duty than a diesel pickup.

Soundguy
09-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Around here, e85 is the cheap fuel, the 87 Oct e10/15, then diesel, then 89 e10/15 then 91-93 e10/15. Then 93 no-e, then marina gas and 100 avgas, both non E.

Diesel actually saves me $ on fuel. I realize this scale is different in different places.

Mytmousemalibu
09-21-2017, 05:42 PM
I actually worked at a diesel shop as a side job for a little bit till the owner and I had a falling out. Anyway the old 7.3 PS is a tough engine and pretty darn reliable. Most of the problems we had come in on them were injection related. The common things we had were roasted injector harnesses, in piticular the pass-through in the valve cover gaskets but sometimes the harness under the cover to the injectors. Also saw IDM's (injector driver module) here and there. To a lesser extent, high pressure oil pumps and regulators. A super common failure point on a 7.3 PS is the cam sensor. Me and my buddy kept a spare in the glove box! Both of us has had to use said spare too. Really these engines are pretty solid. Yes, eventually the injectors get pretty tired but good maintenance goes a long way to a long life. If they hadn't used the HEUI injection and used a mechanical pump, the Powerstroke would have been as bulletproof as the IDI but more refined. Common rail would have been the hot ticket. I have seen a few with oil leaks from the turbocharger pedestal mount, mine included. I actually had mine trying to close the cold warm up valve when it wasn't supposed to, choking the engine. Its incorporated into the turbo pedestal. I pulled the butterfly housing off the turbo, removed the butterfly and shaft and welded the holes shut. The oil operated actuator was pulled out (it was leaking anyway) and I TIG welded the oil passages closed to the valve. Fixed 2 birds at once and removed some exhaust restriction. I didn't need the warm up valve here, besides I plug my diesels in when its cold and do all the proper stuff. Some have had good luck with the 6.0 but the vast majority have lived a horror story with one.

Soundguy
09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
I keep a cam sensor and a ? 10mm spare Chinese wrench taped to the box, in the center console.

Lloyd Smale
09-22-2017, 04:59 AM
Diesel is higher then anything up here and not by a small margin. Usually between 20 and 50 cents a gallon higher. At least higher then 93. I haven't priced avgas in years so I don't know but do know it used to be very expensive.
Around here, e85 is the cheap fuel, the 87 Oct e10/15, then diesel, then 89 e10/15 then 91-93 e10/15. Then 93 no-e, then marina gas and 100 avgas, both non E.

Diesel actually saves me $ on fuel. I realize this scale is different in different places.

Lloyd Smale
09-22-2017, 05:10 AM
Had to run 60 miles yesterday to see the doctor. I saw a powerstroke sitting in the bar parking lot near my home and it got me thinking so I paid attention up and back. I saw 8 diesel trucks 3 power strokes 3 duramaxs and 2 dodges. Out of 8 of them 5 of them were being driven by women. 2 buy young men that were jacked up and one by a contractor pulling as small enclosed trailer that I could pull with my jeep. Granted because they had women driving doesn't mean there not used for real work when ma gets home.

Id bet most are like the farm we shoot deer on. the owner is a ford man. bleeds ford. Even has a model a in the garage restored. He had a brand new power stroke sitting in the driveway the first day we went there this year. I had a new 1/2 ton chev so it started a conversation. I asked him if he actually got that truck dirty and this is what he said. I paid 60k for that truck. Its way to pretty to use for real work. What I do is buy a new one and use the old one on the farm. When its dead beyond what economical sense to repair I will buy another new one and use this one on the farm. He said he most dirt that truck will see for a few years is driving on the dirt road in front of his house.

Truth be told id bet not to many of those fancy 60k trucks are being used at at least 1/2 of there capability 10 percent of the time. I also asked the farmer (and this is a big farm) why he buys a diesel. He said it was simple. He has diesel pumps on his property so he doesn't have to run to town (15 miles) to buy fuel. He said a gas 3/4 ton would tow anything he ever tows and he said even if it got worse mileage he owns a farm not a over the road trucking company and the farthest he has to tow anything is about 20 miles. He said he has real trucks to pull real loads. He said he got along just fine with gas trucks up till about 15 years ago when he switched to diesels. He did say the 6.0 he had almost had him going to the chev dealership. ALMOST. Got a chuckle from him. Hes a little guy and a fireball. He said "Lloyd theres two things that will never be seen on his farm. A dodge or a John Deer.

shdwlkr
09-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Well I have diesel pickups, that's right I said more than one. I have them because I never know what I will find and load in the back. One truck weights 8900 pounds which is empty to me. The other I have to admit is more of a 4x4 car so far. I have them because my kids live way out in the country with the ex and in the winter they don't plow the road for a mile and a half from their place. I have pulled my friends camper a 34 footer with my three quarter ton trucks and never found them lacking for power. Some may not like diesels or even need them I agree, but for me it has been a really long time since I had a gas engine vehicle. the newer pickups in diesel engine are way to expensive.If I were to buy a brand new truck it would be a gas engine just because of cost. I priced out a new 2017 three quarter ton and was able to hit $72,000 price range with almost no trouble, way to much for my uses. Some have good luck with gas engines or diesel engines and others have no luck no matter the engine. Which engine is best, the one that gets you from point A to point B with the least amount of cost for the longest period of time.

Spooksar
09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
i have a 99 F350 with 280.5k on my 7.3. It is hard on battery sets (about 2.5 years max on a set before needing replaced), it is sometimes impossible to get started in the winter if it hasn't been plugged in overnight. That said, it doesn't require $8-15k of bulletproofing, it is very reliable (other than cold weather), it has plenty of power to pull whatever up and down mountain passes. It will not run much above 10,200' altitude. I live at 8500', average 14+ mpg.
I also have a 99 still on first set of batteries, as far as cold start I have started it in minus 30 Celius weather without it been plugged in just use the glow plugs twice. I live in Northern Alberta so my truck may set up different.

Soundguy
09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Wow, aren't fuel prices crazy across the country?? Here, the better grades of gas are more $ than diesel!

If I didn't work my trucks I sure wouldn't own them. The day after I bought my farm the wife and I traded her car and my ford ranger for larger trucks that could pull horse trailers and flatbeds. Have never looked back.

Mine get plenty of dirt inside and out. Usually there's a role of hay in the bed or compressed rectangle of hay sticking a foot past the tail gate. Or its carrying buckets of feed supplement/ feed tubs, or bags of feed by the palate ( cheaper in bulk ). Sure, occasionally on a Sunday morning its got 3 kayaks in it, headed for the river too. ;)

Back seat is usually carrying soft sided tool bags, etc. Leather seats long since wore out and have seat covers on them. Plenty of beauty marks from driving thru brush, and faded paint down to the primer in spots from the Florida sun, plus a dent or 3 in the bumper ;)

tja6435
09-22-2017, 12:24 PM
I also have a 99 still on first set of batteries, as far as cold start I have started it in minus 30 Celius weather without it been plugged in just use the glow plugs twice. I live in Northern Alberta so my truck may set up different.

How many miles on your truck? Mine has the cold weather package, but it may be way different for how far north you are. My truck has always been a Colorado truck, lots of high altitude.

I suspect I have a sensor to two that need changed out. My intake air heater needs a different oring to get it functional again, both things I'm sure help for the super hard starts during cold weather here.

handyman25
09-29-2017, 01:46 AM
Had a 2004 6.0 (new). Put 15k into it. Purchased fords since 1960, no more. I hope ford goes broke. They had a good engine in the 7.3 and gave us the 6.0 junk.

Soundguy
09-29-2017, 10:17 AM
I hope they dont go broke, I believe it is government motors you are thinking of when the bailout money had hands all over it.

Ford should have stuck with the 7.3 international designed. I believe if it had a better transmission from the factory, and a better designed cam sensor setup, the 7.3 would have had a longer run.

I do realize Ford was needing speed competition and 1/4 mile runs and thus went with the upticked 6.0, which you could quadzilla/chip right into a time bomb and turn the diesel truck into a race car for a year or two before the headbolts got too long...

I do hear promising news about the 6.7.

.45Cole
10-01-2017, 02:17 AM
They went to the 6.0 from the 7.3 due to emisions. The 7.3 is a no emissions, 2V, inefficient motor. The 6.0 is an EGR, 4V, upgraded motor that Ford had tuned a little hotter than International's VT365, which did really well for International. Interestingly enough International used the VT365 until something like 2010.

Soundguy
10-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Considering the egr/cooler problems the 6.0 has, I'm rather glad to not have an egr! ( ill take the ebpv any day! )
As for 2v vs 4 v, and what is better? More parts font always = better. Take the 5.4 gasser.. The older ones dont eat plugs quite like the later ones do.

That's progress, right? ;)

Tyguy95
10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't touch it unless it's got aftermarket heads and studs

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk