PDA

View Full Version : steel miniloaf pans

hiram
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I bought miniloaf pans at a good price to use as ingot molds. They have a non-stick coating on them and are steel. If the coating comes off from high heat, will the molten lead stcik to the steel. If it will, I would return them before using--no sense spending the money and not being able to use the pans. I can't find aluminum mini loaf pans.

Willbird
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
If these are the ones where the small loaf pans are a seperate piece of metal, inserted into a framework. IE a 6 load pan is made from 6 pans that are in turn roll formed or crimped into a piece of metal with holes in it, they really stink as ingot molds. Also the non stick seems to burn off and in several uses the lead solders to the pans and your really sunk :-). it is a shame because they are suck a nice SIZE. A buddy tried them and told me they stunk, my wife talked me into trying them myself, and guess what ??? they stink :-)

If you do try them, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area, I have heard that when teflon is burned it makes a very toxic vapor.

Bill

Doc Highwall
08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I got four of these at Tractor Supply for $13.00 each. Each ingot weighs approximately 2.5 lbs. The ingots will fit into a Lee 20lb pot, and with the tapered sides the ingots fall right out.

hiram
08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
These are four separte, seamless pans. For storage, they just fit one inside the other.

shooter575
08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Best way to keep lead from sticking to a sheet steel pan is a coat of rust.Need to burn off the non stick coating first.I just let them set outside my shop and coat them with a 98 deg saline soultion that I make lots of. One caution though,first time you use them for ingots be sure to keep upwind.
I had a cheep steel muffin tin that was made with seprate cups.The cups would fall out after a couple uses.Go one piece

Buckshot
08-08-2008, 12:46 AM
...........I bought these a couple years back and they work great.

http://www.fototime.com/432F142B09E587B/standard.jpg

The loaf portions are seperate pieces flat folded in place. Shooter575 has it right. Once used and set aside they rust and then work better then ever. I only fill them about half way.

.............Buckshot

copdills
08-08-2008, 03:28 AM
the mini loafs work for me I make 7 1/2 lb bars with mine I don't fill them all the way up and they work great in mt lee pro 4-20

Willbird
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
...........I bought these a couple years back and they work great.

http://www.fototime.com/432F142B09E587B/standard.jpg

The loaf portions are seperate pieces flat folded in place. Shooter575 has it right. Once used and set aside they rust and then work better then ever. I only fill them about half way.

.............Buckshot

I think the rust must be the trick, and only filling them halfway. No rust, and filling them all the way got the ingots soldered in for me :-)

Bill

hiram
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I tried my new ones tonight for the first time. Got 4 for $3.99 in Christmas Tree Shop. I filled them to about 1/8" from top, and when I flipped them over, the space was enough for the weight of the ingot to dislodge itself.