PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a tang sight without a tang?

kevinsmith5
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a 45-70 Buffalo Classic H&R that I want to put a Vernier sight on. The rifle doesn't have a tang, but other people have epoxied a false tang in and mounted the sight to it. My question is how do I determine correct alignment for the holes to drill in the false tang?

John Taylor
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Seems to work best on a vertical milling machine, just line the barrel up with the table. You could use a mill to cut a groove in the stock for a piece of metal that has already been drilled for the sight.

Southern Son
08-07-2008, 03:44 AM
If you don't have any square edges to work off (the end of the part of the stock that slips into the receiver or maybe off the butt with the recoil pad removed), then you may have to do you best by lining it up with your eye. Running a line from the butt towards the receiver along the very top of the stock should give you a place to start (ie the tang sight would be sitting in the middle of the tang, not leaning to one side, and should be square, not off set or twisted in one direction). You would have a bit of trouble keeping it square if the rifle has a monte carlo cheek peice.

rusty marlin
08-08-2008, 06:49 AM
I have a 45-70 Buffalo Classic H&R that I want to put a Vernier sight on. The rifle doesn't have a tang, but other people have epoxied a false tang in and mounted the sight to it. My question is how do I determine correct alignment for the holes to drill in the false tang?

Boy, better not tell my .38-55 that a tang sight doesn't fit, it might have a nervous break down.
If you want the details PM me. Oh and it shoots great too.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/rusty_marlin/hr1.jpg