PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452 sizer question

copdills
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
My Lee 452 sizer measures 451.5 is ths par or does everyone else measure 452

Jim
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
When I bought mine about 800 years ago, it was .452. I opened it up to .454. If you need it a tad bigger, it ain't no problem to do. Holler if ya wanna.

copdills
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks Jim , how do you open one up

Jim
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I use a 1/4" hardwood dowel with a slit cut in the end of it. I go about an inch deep or so and put a piece of sandcloth in it. You have to experiment with how long the piece of sandcloth is to get the fit right. When the sandcloth wound around the stick is a tight fit in the sizer die, put the dowel in a drill and start with a slow in-and-out motion. Put the die back in the press, run a bullet through it and mike the bullet. Go easy and slow because if you go a "K" over, there's no putting it back. When you're about a half "K" from where you want it, switch over to very high grit cloth(400 or so) or open the slit in the dowel just a touch and use a piece of a Scotch Brite pad. This will polish the die throat and that should do ya'.

mooman76
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I bought a 309 but it was more like 3085 so I bought another to have both and it was 3085 also so I did basically what Jim said.. Lees tolerences are within .001.

Dale53
08-08-2008, 12:02 AM
You want to keep in mind that different alloys run through a sizer die will show different sizes. You will actually get a little "spring back" with the harder alloys. Only pure lead will size and stay exactly the same with no spring back.

I would just use the die "as is".

FWIW
Dale53

copdills
08-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Thanks Guys

ForneyRider
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I have been reading here and elsewhere and I see to wait some between casting, sizing and seating.

Dale53
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Actually, the "protocol" is to cast, size quickly, then wait before using in reloads.
The theory behind this is that cast bullets start hardening after cooling and will continue to harden for some time. Sizing immediately after casting allows for easier sizing. MOST of the hardening will be done in a period of two weeks.

Now, as a practical matter, I have cast, sized and loaded in a very short period without problems....[smilie=1:

Dale53

copdills
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks Dale53

ForneyRider
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually, the "protocol" is to cast, size quickly, then wait before using in reloads.
The theory behind this is that cast bullets start hardening after cooling and will continue to harden for some time. Sizing immediately after casting allows for easier sizing. MOST of the hardening will be done in a period of two weeks.

Now, as a practical matter, I have cast, sized and loaded in a very short period without problems....[smilie=1:

Dale53

for sure. hehe.

Thanks!

pdawg_shooter
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
I opened a .285 to .301 for my paper patching. Took about 20 minutes.

Shiloh
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM

Dale53

The quote from Dale is how I do mine. Picked up this method right here at the forum.

Some say that sizing after the boolits have hardened softens them back up where the boolit was touched by the die. I don't run them at fast enough velocities to notice a difference. With a 6 banger LEE tumble lube mold, one can cast, size, and lube a pile of boolits in a hurry!! :-D

Shiloh :castmine: