PDA

View Full Version : SP-101 tritium sight

monadnock#5
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Midway carries both the Meprolight and Trijicon tritium insert front sight for the SP-101. Has anyone installed either of these sights? If they're a gunsmith only venture I'll pass. I don't mind spending the extra money, but the 10 to12 week (or more) turnaround time i can live without. One of those sights looks like something my tired old eyes could really appreciate. [smilie=1:

Old Ironsights
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I have the Trijicon. Home install is easy. Drift out the sight pin, lightly glue (removable) the sight into the sight groove then drill the pin-hole out with the included (IIRC) bit. Drift the pin back in.

It's been on my gun for about 5 years now.

HOWEVER - it seems to be dying. I don't know what the life of the tritium insert is supposed to be but I would have thought it was more than 5 years...

trickyasafox
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM
depends on the color insert. the green ones, according to trijicon the green inserts have the longest half life. I think the other colors are only 5 or 6 years.

I bought a police trade in g23 that was made in 1997- the sights aren't blinding , but I can still pick them up quickly in the dark and they are 11 years old. (as far as I can tell)

monadnock#5
08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
According to Midway, the Meprolight carries a 10 year warranty, and the Trijicon, for a couple bucks more, carries a 12 year warranty. Both are green.

Old Ironsights
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, 5 years later I sure as heck can't dig up my receipt...