PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please

john__boy
08-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I am new in the casting world and need to know if range boolets that are remelted are hard enuf to just recast or do you need to change the alloy to make it harder?

wiljen
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM
depends on what you intend to shoot them in and how fast. Range lead that contains mostly 22s is gonna be pretty soft, range lead that is mostly centerfire pistol lead is likely to be a bit harder, jacketed rifle cores are likely harder yet. Any of them are good for low velocity pistol loads (800-900fps). For rifle boolits, you'll probably want to mix 50/50 with wheel weights and water drop or heat treat for additional hardness.

Poygan
08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
They should work fine. If you don't feel they are hard enough, drop them is a five gallon pail full of cold water as you cast. My last pick up at the range included a high number of soft lead slugs. To compensate a bit, I added some linotype. I let some boolits air cool and water dropped about an equal amount. The water dropped were significantly harder. Will test hop both versions tomorrow.

john__boy
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you that is a big help,,,,I am planning on shooting them in pistol loads at relitivly slow speeds

jhalcott
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
a hardness tester comes in handy in a situation like this. cast a few ingots and test them for BHN. Then when you start to make bullets ,you can add tin or Lino to make them harder IF neccessary! I used to scrounge the berms at the range and got a lot of muzzle loader and 45-70 bullets.These were quite soft for MY needs. Now it is against the rules to mine the berms. They say it will disturb the covering that prevents lead from getting air borne OR sinking into the ground water.?? I do not believe this ,but don't want to be thrown off the property.

Buckshot
08-06-2008, 12:18 AM
.............Due to the increased number of people reloading with commercial cast (Jacketed costing so much) you could end up with some very good alloy. I 2nd the idea of the lead hardness tester.

..................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
08-06-2008, 07:37 AM
If you are shooting them out of a pistol at low speeds you don't need to worry. Your problem will be too hard, not too soft. You can shoot pure lead the way you are talking about shooting. People often do, that's what commercial swaged lead bullets are.

Boerrancher
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I posted this before somewhere but don't remember where, so I will sumerize it. Pure lead is good up to about 1200 fps. I start adding WW ingots or Lino ingots as the need for hardness increases. I also shoot a lot of lead recovered from the berm of the local range. That recovered lead makes up most of my shooting. I just toss in a WW ingot for every 3 berm ingots for 99% of my shooting, which is no faster than 2000 fps.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

john__boy
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I posted this before somewhere but don't remember where, so I will sumerize it. Pure lead is good up to about 1200 fps. I start adding WW ingots or Lino ingots as the need for hardness increases. I also shoot a lot of lead recovered from the berm of the local range. That recovered lead makes up most of my shooting. I just toss in a WW ingot for every 3 berm ingots for 99% of my shooting, which is no faster than 2000 fps.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

that is great information, I should not get over 1500 fps so should have little worries. :Fire: