PDA

View Full Version : Another really good 8 x 57 PP load....

bcp477
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
While experimenting, I found another load that works beautifully.....

Plain-based, flat-point (RCBS mold), two-groove, 170 grain (.32-40 WCF) bullets....BHN 15 (I buy these from Hunters Supply, in Regina, NM)

Re-sized to .314" with a Lee sizing die

Two wraps of plain, lined notebook paper (.0020" thick dry)...final diameter : about .3238"....lubed with 1 coat of Lee Liquid Alox

Winchester or R-P cases (both work fine)

IMR-4064 powder....28.0 grains

.3 to .4 grains of cotton wool filler

Win. LR primers

Bullets seated just 1 diameter into cases (I haven't measured the actual COA, sorry).

This load will produce groups of just over 1" in my sportered M48, all day long....out to 100 meters (the maximum for my local range). I am convinced that, with practice (I am a long time iron sight shooter and just switched to a 4x scope - I am still not completely used to it)....that I can get to "1 MOA" or smaller with consistency. Note, I have not, heretofore, weighed and segregated my bullets or my brass, yet this load is this good, as is. Weighing and segregating my wrapped bullets will probably improve consistency, which is already excellent anyway. I fired 60 of these loads this past Sunday, in 5-shot strings, with little time for cool-down between (with the rifle rested across my range bag). My largest group was just over 2" - and that was due to a called flyer. The tightest group was 7/8". Of course, I had a good day - but I was amazed at the ease of which this load worked (so well) for me. This is, of course, a mild load, with mild recoil. I will chrono this load soon, to see if it might be useful for short-range whitetail hunting.

I wanted to pass this along, in case anyone is interested.

beemer
08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I started on a similar 8mm project today. The boolit I have is a Lee 185 that is .314. My rifle needs about .324 or a little bigger so I will use slightly thicker paper. I will probably extend the wrap a ways up the nose make it fit the bore. The Lyman 311466 is another one I plan to try as soon as I pour a few. 4064 was the powder I intended to use so that will give me a ballpark figure, I'll drop a few grs. and give it a try. My rifle is a 24/47 but is in full military dress. What kind of set up do you have for your scope? I have a M48 that I would like to put a scope on. I like iron sights myself but as I get older a scope helps.

I have beem thinking about trying a .314 in an 8mm, thanks for the info.

beemer

bcp477
08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Beemer,

My optic is a 4 x 32 handgun scope. I have never liked scopes mounted over the receiver on bolt-action rifles, so a forward-mounted optic was SOP for me. The scope is attached using Millett "Angle-Loc" all-steel rings. The scope base is my own creation - a leftover (military) rear sight base from an M48, with the top machined flat - and angled cuts made (like the side profile of a Weaver base) to accept the "jaws" of the Millett rings. This mount and ring combination allowed me to mount my scope as low as possible, with the ocular bell just 1/8" above the front receiver ring, and has been absolutely trouble free. I originally intended to use an S&K mount, but as the S&K unit is designed for use with the original-style military stock with handguard, it places the scope much too high for my liking. So far, so good. I am still not completely used to the scope (I always preferred iron sights - and doggedly stuck with them, even after my eyes told me to move on)....but every trip to the range is better than the last, in this regard.

Good luck with your project - I hope that you have as much success with it as I have, with mine.