PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb question from the dumby

gcollins
08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I bought out a small sporting good store, that didn't want to handle the hardware! I got a lot of new dies and moulds. I have not had time to go threw any of it realy,One Lyman round ball die box says 440 round ball,
I got my good calipers, and open up the mould, and took some reading, as close as I can tell it will make a 445 ball. Even the mould says 440, tomorrow I am going to tape the mould toghter and heat up a small container of wax, and fill the mould.let it cool real good, and open it up and get a reading.
My question is, am I wasting my time, buy doing this?

HELP:confused::confused:
Greg

wiljen
08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Are you trying to prove that the molds are in the correct boxes? If they are un-opened, I would trust lyman to have packaged them correctly - if they were a big box o parts, might take a bit longer to sort, but still not sure I would cast em all in wax.

gcollins
08-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I quess what i should of stated first, what would you use a 440 ball in? When I bought my first 44cal c&B that would of been the mould I would of bought, but i was told to get a 445, that is why I am asking this!
greg

montana_charlie
08-05-2008, 06:53 PM
One Lyman round ball die box says 440 round ball,
I got my good calipers, and open up the mould, and took some reading, as close as I can tell it will make a 445 ball. Even the mould says 440,
Most shooters will use pure lead to cast round ball bullets. Pure lead produces the smallest diameter (in the the finished product) of all alloys...because it shrinks the most.
If the hot lead is poured into a .445" cavity...and shrinks at all during solidification...a .440" diameter is probably what you will get.

tomorrow I am going to tape the mould toghter and heat up a small container of wax, and fill the mould.let it cool real good, and open it up and get a reading.
I am sure there is information available about the melting, cooling, and shrinking properties of any wax that you might use. I would be very surprised if any of them come close to the same properties found in lead.

CM

Willbird
08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Typically Lyman molds will be stamped with a number which identifies the mold, for a 44 caliber mold one example is 429421.

Bill

floodgate
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
The Lyman-made Round Ball moulds are stamped with just the diameter (except for the early Ideal made ones with the blocks integral with the handles). BUT, I once calibrated about 50 Lyman round ball moulds, using pure lead, and found them to vary by as much as 0.005" from the marked diameter - even comparing two or three moulds in the .451" - .454" - .457" range. I got the impression that they started with fresh cherries a couple of thousandths oversize and as they wore, retouched them until they were 0.002" - 0.003" undersize. After all, RB's used in the BP revolavers are usually oversize anyway, so they shear and seal on loading.

But it is near-impossible to use inside calipers to gauge a mould's diameter; and the wax ball will probably have different expansion/contraction properties relative to pure lead, plus "waxing up" your mould to the point it will require considerable degreasing. Get a pair of proper handles, and cast in pure lead, to get a "corrrect" reading.

floodgate

gcollins
08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Guys, thanks a bunch for all the help, and advice! I want to sell these moulds as BRAND NEW because there are! Are there guys that shoot a 440 ball? And like i stated this is new to me, I know on cartidge bullets you can go up to 3 thousands bigger in a cast bullet, but when it comes to C & B I have not a clue.
Thanks Greg

mooman76
08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
There are still some 45 shooters out there and if nothing else there is always evilbay. They sell on there. I think there was somone here looking for a 440 rb mould here in the buying/selling section.

floodgate
08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
It could be useful for casting up slugs for gauging .44 caliber barrels; also this size was used in some of the nominally .45 caliber ML rifles. The ".44 Caliber" C & B revolvers vary all over the lot, as do preferences for loading them.

Can you post a list of all the moulds you came up with? Many of us here would be interested, I'm sure.

Floodgate

DLCTEX
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I ML rifles the ball is cast under size and the patch makes up the difference. If you want to use a thick patch, you have to use a smaller ball. If you know your groove size and the ball size, you want the patch material to be half the thickness of the dia. difference. DALE

08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
gcollins
A .440 RB is used in a .45 cal muzzleloading rifle. It's used in conjunction with a patch to make it work and grab the rifiling for the ".45" use. Very common and usually used where a patch is used in loading.

08-05-2008, 11:53 PM
gcollins
A .440 RB is used in a .45 cal muzzleloading rifle. It's used in conjunction with a patch to make it work and grab the rifiling for the ".45" use. Very common and usually used where a patch is used in loading.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/fire.gif

08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
I have no idea how I managed to pop two replies in there. Better not stand in front of me when I use this machine, ................. could be dangerous.

rusty marlin
08-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Guys, thanks a bunch for all the help, and advice! I want to sell these moulds as BRAND NEW because there are! Are there guys that shoot a 440 ball? And like i stated this is new to me, I know on cartidge bullets you can go up to 3 thousands bigger in a cast bullet, but when it comes to C & B I have not a clue.
Thanks Greg

That mold is not for a pistol. Its for a .45 cal rifle.
Wrap that thing in a .020" pillow ticking patch and its the perfect size for a .45ML rifle.

So what other molds are in the pile? Would you PM me a list?

Springfield
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Ace: To answer your question, a 44 C&B will usually take a .451-.454 ball. That .440 mould isn't going to do your pistols any good.