PDA

View Full Version : first of many stoopid questions...

silverback32
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
How do you guys prep your ingot and bullet molds right before pouring the lead into them?

:roll:

cbrick
08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Well . . . define "prep".

I do nothing with my ingot moulds cept pour the melt into them and dumping when cooled to solid. Prep bullet moulds? I do clean with denatured alcohol and a bronze brush before each casting session just for giggles and piece of mind knowing it's clean. I don't use any type of "mould prep" products though.

Rick

docone31
08-05-2008, 12:01 PM
With ingot molds, almost nothing except make sure it is dry.
With my Lee molds.
When I first get them, I use brake cleaner, heavily. I then take a small candle and hold it close to the mold to blacken it.
I then cast away.
When the castings stick, I smoke it more.

silverback32
08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
With ingot molds, almost nothing except make sure it is dry.
With my Lee molds.
When I first get them, I use brake cleaner, heavily. I then take a small candle and hold it close to the mold to blacken it.
I then cast away.
When the castings stick, I smoke it more.

Thanks- I am obviously very new and have heard that you should probably heat up your molds prior to casting/pouring......also heard that you should pour melted beeswax in molds, etc. I guess I just needed to hear what y'all had to say.:)

rusty marlin
08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Just before I make the first pour into the ingot mold I put in over the second burner of my colman stove to drive off any moisture.
When it changes color I know the moisture has been driven off and I pour.

Only need to do this once per smelting session and when ever I'm clearing the ladeling pot for a different alloy.

I've never smoked or beeswaxed my ingot molds. The candle smoke sounds like a good idea though.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
On ingot molds, as stated, make sure that they are dry because if they aren't then you will have instant trouble. On molds it depends on how you stored the mold....and there are several ways to store molds. If any petroleum based product was used then it has to be thoroughly and completely removed or your castings will be all messed up until you get the stuff out. On preheating the mold: an aluminum mold can be preheated by dipping a corner of the blocks into the melt for a few seconds. Iron mold blocks (with the handles attached) can be heated on the kitchen stove. If a gas stove just place the blocks very near a low (simmer size) flame for 10-15 minutes. I stress the word near...not in. On an electric range you can put the blocks on a coil of the element and use a medium setting of around 4-5 for 20-30 minutes. If you try to cook the blocks with high heat you may warp them, so plan the thing temperature wise and the pre-heat process so that doesn't happen. You don't want to overheat the blocks either as you'll get frosted bullets and/or they won't solidify for a while. You also don't want to char the wooden handles. LLS

jhalcott
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Ingot molds must be dry before you pour lead in them. I set my molds across the edge of the Lee pot while I'm waiting for the alloy to melt. This heats up the mold at the same time. A NEW mold gets the cleaning treatment. A candle CAN induce those unwanted oils into the cavity!IF I think the mold needs to be smoked ,I use a KITCHEN match. I admit to using the butane BBQ lighter on occasion though.

docone31
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Hold the phone!!!
I do not reccomend pouring beeswax into the mold!
I forgot to mention heating the mold prior to pour. I figuired that would be a known.
I get my molds almost up to pour temp before I pour. If the button takes too long to freeze, I let it slow down on the pouring.
From that point, the mold itself will tell you what you need for mold temp. The sprue plate should push the sprue, not have to smack it.
Clean it, smoke it, heat it, cast away.
Definately make sure your cavity is dry. Water makes lead do interesting things.

leftiye
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Turn 'em right side up! Pour?

silverback32
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone- I know these questions are elementary for most of y'all and I appreciate your help and patience.....

docone31
08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe, the only stupid question is the one not asked and acted upon in silence. Especially when there are people who might just help.
I failed so badly when I first started casting years ago, I did not pick it up untill years later.
I hope we did help. They sure helped me.

silverback32
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Having folks to guide me in this effort is a great comfort! I don't know anyone in this area who casts. Very few reload. I guess that will all change when ammo becomes more expensive or harder to get.

cbrick
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
docone31 is absolutely correct.

There is only one stupid question and that is the one NOT asked.

Every single person here no matter how recently or long ago started out with the same or less knowledge of this hobby that you have now.

Ask away.

Rick

Blammer
08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
prep?

I'd clean the mould really good with brake cleaner first.

then set on edge of pot to preheat, then maybe smoke the inside with a candle or lighter if after getting good boolits they won't drop; otherwise no smoking.

runfiverun
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
what blammer said sept the smoking part i usually have a last one while waiting for
them to heat up.