PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire powder

Bill*
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I hope this is the appropriate place for this;
Over the years I accumulate .22 rimfire misfires (my range requests we take them away when finished). For safety, when I get home I plier-pull the bullets into my lead casting supply bucket,Dump the powder, and WD-40 the primer and toss out the brass. The powder will either fertilize the garden or make some neat "snail trails" on the lawn for the next 4th of July for the grandkids. But out of curiousity---What kind of powder is it? I reload pistols with, say, bullseye (fast) and know it "wouldn't be good" for a 7mm rem mag rifle, yet I use the same .22 cartridge in a Rem 597 rifle and High Standard pistol. Could I (no, I wont) reload with it? or is it something designed just for that pupose? If you could use it, would it be fast or slow? I'm just musing,not looking to hurt myself, so feel free to speculate, Thanx........Bill

felix
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Rimfire powder is circa Herco/4756 speed. ... felix

Bill*
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Thank You Felix......Much Obliged.....Bill

Ricochet
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
George Frost (who worked for Winchester-Western for a long time and helped establish CCI's ammo plants in Idaho and Mexico, then established and ran Armscor's ammo plant in the Phillippines in a career running from the early '30s to the late '80s) says in Ammunition Making that typical powders used in the .22 rimfires were as follows:

.22 Short High & Standard Velocity 29 gr. bullet Hercules 950

.22 Long High Velocity 29 gr. bullet Hercules 1050

.22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 gr. bullet Hercules 1293

.22 Long Rifle Standard Velocity 40 gr. bullet Hercules 950

.22 Long Rifle Match 40 gr. bullet Hercules 950

If anyone knows how those numbers correlate with their canister powders, there's a start.