PDA

View Full Version : Asking help to identify reloading parts

bomar
09-07-2017, 01:26 PM
I have found that a few parts I have appear to go to a Lyman All-American shotshell die set. I want to sell off the individual parts and am looking for the proper names of a few.

First.. this is the kit with what appears to be the parts I have:

Now only 2 items I need a name for...

These 2 are the parts I'm unsure of the proper name ..
To the right of the die.. an aluminum cylinder that is plain straightwall inside....
And last.. the part to the left of the wad pressure setter at the upper end.. looks like a hat. It doesn't show
the side but mine has a threaded base to it.

The aluminum tube to the right ( left side is the wad guide )

skeettx
09-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Lyman adapter
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/176245/lyman-7-8-14-thread-adapter-for-310-dies-and-model-55-powder-measure

And the die inside the adapter is most likely the drop tube for the Lyman 55 powder measure.

Mike

bomar
09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
The part I'm trying to identify is not the adapter.. I had several of those.. this one has no center hole it is solid.

I can't seem to post a photo of the die but it is the same as is shown in the kit with a thick pin down the middle.

Bent Ramrod
09-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I had a set like that for a while which fit the Lyman "Ezy-Loader." Looks like they adopted some of the parts to the "All-American" when that reloader came out. The rusty item in Pic #2 is called the Crimping Plug No. 7. The aluminum cylinder with the spring fingers is, as you surmised, the Wad Chamber No. 6. The straight cylinder is the Crimping Chamber No. 8.

The set was made for the old paper shells.

bomar
09-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Thank you! Yes, I picked up a box with a Mec Jr and Ezy Loader and these parts were in the box with others.. thinned out what belonged to the Mec and Ezy and the parts leftover were for the All-American and 450 Lube sizer - and I have neither.

I also have the wad pressure column setter (?) with the numbers on it. I was asked about a spring.. do you know if it should be springy when pressed? This one the inner rod twists slightly and does move in and out but doesn't seem springy.

Bent Ramrod
09-08-2017, 11:35 AM
That is Wad Rammer and Pressure Gauge Assembly No. 4. Yes, there should be a spring in there, and you should feel it when you push the Rammer in at the bottom. The numbers above the lever are for the Wad Pressure, which was a big deal back then for some reason.

I'd need to consult my draft to remember how it works. You moved the lever to slide the thing to certain positions in the loading process. I wrote up my trials and tribulations with the Ezy(HAH!)-Loader for the ARTCA Journal, but it hasn't come out yet.

bomar
09-08-2017, 03:00 PM
yes, it has 3 pins on the inner rod that slide down through slots, so turning it with the lever would set the rod on top of the collar and away from the slots.