PDA

View Full Version : I have a qustion

GOPHER SLAYER
09-06-2017, 04:59 PM
I have a question about mixing Carnauba wax and a black powder lube I have that is beef tallow, bees wax and olive oil. My black powder lube worked fine when the weather was cool but now it has the viscosity of Vaseline. I picked up a can of Carnauba wax in a yard sale and I was wondering if I could mix some of it with my beef tallow, bees wax and olive oil mix. Tell me what you think. As you might have guessed, I know next to nothing about making bullet lube. I would appreciate your input.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use car wax as a boolit lube ingredient.

I'd be curious what all ingredients Mother's puts in there?

Your tin appears to be older packaging for "Mothers® California Gold® Ultimate Wax System® Step 3
Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax"

MSDS (http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/716301pdf?$PDF$)

Anyway, if it's the same stuff, it isn't 100% Carnuba. The MSDS lists some solvents, but it also states "8.35% of the mixture consists of ingredient(s) of unknown toxicity" What's that? maybe Clay?

GOPHER SLAYER
09-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jon, I think I will just had more bees wax.

country gent
09-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Small amount of beeswax should thicken it. I use emmerts a lot which is beeswax Crisco and canola or olive oil to this I add anahydrous lanolin also for emmerts improved. It works good for me. It is a softer lube but holds up for me.

Emmerts improved recipe for you to compare ratios to yours is, 50% Beeswax
40% unsalted Crisco shortening
5% canola or olive oil
5% anahydrous lanolin

runfiverun
09-06-2017, 09:59 PM
I leave the olive oil out of mine. [just use the wax/Crisco/lanolin]
after a while it thickens/hardens up a bit and then I add the extra oil to get my consistency back.

BRUCE MOULDS
09-07-2017, 06:20 PM
hoe would adding some ozokerite work?
keep safe,
bruce.

runfiverun
09-10-2017, 04:20 PM
ozokerite is more like adding paraffin.
I wouldn't for black powder.

Springfield
09-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Paraffin works fine with Black powder. Don't know what ozokerite is.

BRUCE MOULDS
09-10-2017, 11:05 PM
the brits used paraffin and vaseline for black powder lube, and used to shoot long range match rifles dirty with that.
modern guys have also reported success with that formula and shooting dirty.
there is a reasonably common bpcr lube containing beeswax, paraffin wax, and tallow.
i have used ozokerite for years as it has a high melting point and seems to hold oil better than both paraffin or bees wax.
keep safe,
bruce.

barrabruce
09-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use car wax as a boolit lube ingredient.

I'd be curious what all ingredients Mother's puts in there?

Your tin appears to be older packaging for "Mothers® California Gold® Ultimate Wax System® Step 3
Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax"

MSDS (http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/716301pdf?$PDF$)

Anyway, if it's the same stuff, it isn't 100% Carnuba. The MSDS lists some solvents, but it also states "8.35% of the mixture consists of ingredient(s) of unknown toxicity" What's that? maybe Clay?
Damn I just bought some of that to use for a lube ingredient.

runfiverun
09-11-2017, 01:28 PM
ozokerite is a mined wax product.