PDA

View Full Version : I am going to retire soon.....................again.

Harry O
09-05-2017, 08:54 PM
I retired 2-3/4 years ago. I had my group at work running smooth and spent a couple months breaking in the guy who was replacing me. He quit unexpectedly this spring. I did not find out until after I started working again that the two guys who worked under me had left, also. That meant training two others, too.

No one else had the certifications needed to fill the slot. My ex-boss called me to come back part time until he had another new guy (and I could break him in, too). I checked and found that my certification was good until March 2018. I have been working about 24 to 28 hours a week since the end of April. Working that amount is as tiring to me now as working 40 hours a week was just a few years ago.

They hired a new guy about a month ago and he has gotten the certifications needed. I have been training him. He is picking it up well. I am not happy about what I have found about the last guy (he was slacking off from the start). I have no idea if the new guy will do the same. That is my bosses problem. I am cutting down my hours to 12 to 15 per week now that the new guy is here. He is taking more of the load. I am planning to cut the cord before the end of this month.

It has been interesting returning. I retired the first time because it was the correct time to maximize my retirement income. I was not really ready to retire, though. I am ready to retire now. The extra money in my "gun money" fund is well appreciated, but it is time to let go.

richhodg66
09-05-2017, 09:01 PM
I want to retire in the next few years too. Retired from the Army at age 46, so that helps. Been working a jib I like the past five years but am beginning to get a little burned out. I'm aiming at retiring altogether at 55 if I can swing it.

I really don't want to be the guy who works until they find him dead at his desk.

snowwolfe
09-05-2017, 09:09 PM
If they want you to work and you want to retire then make sure you are being paid accordingly. Your in the drivers seat, make it worth your while if they want you to give up your freedom.

JBinMN
09-05-2017, 09:21 PM
If they want you to work and you want to retire then make sure you are being paid accordingly. Your in the drivers seat, make it worth your while if they want you to give up your freedom.

Ditto. Life is too short...
;)

Hick
09-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Sometimes you have to retire a few times before it sticks. I found the same thing-- after the first time I went back to work I discovered that I just wasn't up to the long hours anymore-- but it sure was nice to have a little extra gun money. Good luck this time!

lightman
09-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Good Luck this time.

Boolit_Head
09-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I was in a position like that not to long ago without the retirement though. As far as we know for a certain piece of equipment I was the only certified Engineer in the US with the certifications to go into the Marine environment. If I could not fix it There was maybe two or three guys in England who would have to come over. Since then I trained two other guys here. One is a schmuck and thinks he knows it all, the other I have confidence in.

bedbugbilly
09-06-2017, 08:34 AM
When i was growing up, I can remember someone dying or retiring and some folks would say . . . "how are things going to run now? They'll be out of business in a year." My Dad would always reply that it was nonsense and that just because someone dies or retires, it isn't the end of the world and life goes on. He was self employed with employees and employees coe and go - either they go on to better things or left because they didn't "want" to work.

You've put in your time and obviously had a great career. And if they wanted to have you come back and you wanted to, then that's fine as well. Sometimes retirement can be difficult to adjust to. It took me a couple of years. But now, if you are "ready", then you ought to do it and not look back. You put in your time and obviously were a very dedicated employee and a hard worker. Now it's time to start the next chapter and enjoy yourself - you owe it to yourself and to your family. Good luck and enjoy your well earned retirement!

Hickok
09-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Always remember, you will never see a tombstone with the following words;

I WISH I HAD SPENT MORE TIME AT MY JOB

jdfoxinc
09-06-2017, 09:14 AM
I was forced to retire by a burglary arson of my gun store. The insurance was putting me in the red so I can led it. Dumb. Oh well my knees would have shut me down by now.

blackthorn
09-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Good for you! It took me 4 tries to finally retire but eventually I got her did! Nowadays I only get involved by helping a paraplegic friend with any appeals he needs to file against decisions made by our Workers Compensation Board. No pay, just satisfaction.

big bore 99
09-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Those companys that needed you so badly to come back to work knew for years your time is coming up. So whose fault is it?

Hardcast416taylor
09-06-2017, 02:33 PM
When I retired for the last time they brought my replacement around 3 days before I was out the door. I tried to show him what had taken me over 35 years to learn, lotta `deer in the headlights` looks. For about a month I would get a phone call now and then asking where a certain main shut off valve was located. They brought in 3 more guys to assist my replacement after 3 weeks of my being gone. My last partner, of 6 years, took this for 6 weeks and jumped to afternoons saying he couldn`t take these guys any longer! I finally learned to not answer the phone anymore when the caller I.D. was my old work place calling.Robert

Tom W.
09-06-2017, 03:03 PM
I was planning on retiring when I turned 65, but cancer changed that. Not too much of a problem, as I was getting cranky anyway having to deal with the careless people I had to work with. QA is stressful enough without any extra help. So got out a year earlier than planned. It was a good thing, as I am cold intolerant now and the plant was about 45° . Plus I have gotten really easy to tire. No matter, I'm expecting to improve sometime after I finish chemo, but now I've tasted laziness.......

facetious
09-06-2017, 05:15 PM
RUN !!!!!!!! NON"T LOOK BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just turned 60 in July and all I can think about is getting the bleep out.

I remember my dad saying that if any one was that importent thy wouldn't let them take a vacation or have a day off. And I have seen it over ond over. On Dec. 3rd 2019 I will have the same job for 40 years working on large web printing presses, mostly newspaper. The name on the pay check will have changed four times by then and I still have the same locker. In all that time I have lost track of how many guys thought the the whole thing would collapse with out them and when some one new took over thy were gone and a new batch would show up and think the same thing.

William Yanda
09-06-2017, 06:25 PM
I am in the middle of two days for my old employer. Best thing about it is, it reminds me why I did it when I did. But as someone posted above the $ is nice.

ARKLITE881South
09-06-2017, 06:44 PM
I started to retire once before i actually did. The timing was wrong, so about 2 yrs later, things at the job i did were changing for the worst. People dragging their feet on doing what they were supposed to do, and in the end not doing a very good job of it. I was carrying the load to make up for the slackers. One evening i came home, told my wife, That's it, i'm going to give them my notice. We had agreed that when i felt it was time for me to go, we both were all for it. Gave them about 3 months notice, then, they tried to keep me around to run 2 different jobs at my leisure.

I told them i was through on the date i and my wife had decided on. Period, i was through ''baby sitting'' grown men (?) and was sick of the politics. That was 6 yrs ago this Oct 31'st. I love it!! People ask, what do you do with all your time. My answer, I do what i want, when i want, for as long as i want. And, it really works for us. We have no car payment, no house payment, we put money away each month, cash, for things we might need, or want in the future. We don't spend money we don't have, we have been blessed very , very much. And, my job was not a high paying job, but a good job, i really liked it. We saved and planned for retirement, and never looked back.

koehn,jim
09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
I retired in 2000 before I was 55 and don't regret it. I had the chance to go back a couple of times and thankfully said no thanks. Life is short enjoy it, and if work calls say no thanks.

buckwheatpaul
09-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Now is the time to retire for good and spend the money you made......life is too short....I retired 2 times as well and you cant hardly get me off the ranch except to go shoot with the HAWKS gun club of East Texas on Wed. mornings.....but shooting is only after a good breakfast with those great brothers!

Harry O
09-06-2017, 07:41 PM
I had some good jobs at my old place. Spent 22-1/2 years there. I spent a few years in each and every division of the company. Usually, I was asked to take over a group or section when things were a mess. I don't know why they were a mess. Most of the people (except for a few, drunks, druggies, or testosterone freaks) were good to work with and wanted to do right by their job. They either did not know how or were not allowed to do a good job. After I got rid of the very few bad ones, everything always turned around. Sometime faster than other places and sometimes slower, but they always turned around.

I have nothing bad to say about where I worked. The pay was good, the work was not too hard, and my bosses just turned me loose and backed me when I needed it. My last job with them was for 6 years and I believe it was the best job I ever had. I don't have anything against them and they don't seem to have anything against me. I have learned that I am no longer suited for full time work, however. It a good thing to learn firsthand instead of just being told that.

MaryB
09-06-2017, 10:19 PM
The last TV shop I worked for folded after I walked out the door. My contract was 40 hours a week and i was turning a nice profit in that 40 hours. New manager came in, told me I was going to be working 10 hours a day including Saturdays. Middle finger salute and I walked. I won the unemployment claim because they broke the contract. New guy they hired destroyed the customer base in 6 months and they folded. I was very customer oriented and had a very loyal customer base who had me do yearly VCR and TV cleanings(getting the dust and dirt out extends the life!). New guy told them he wasn't going to their house to vacuum dirt out...

Store owner(not the new manager) came to me and asked me to come back. I told him no. No trust his new manager wouldn't pull some **** and want me to work 60 hours a week. That manager lasted 3 more months before he started driving away appliance customers... he was the owners brother... bad situation to work for.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Hey Harry--this time really DO IT! Don't go back again. At this time they're buying the most precious time of your life, the time you have left. You need to enjoy it, because you can't get it back. The clock is ticking.

facetious
09-07-2017, 04:57 AM

nicholst55
09-07-2017, 08:58 AM
When I retired for the last time they brought my replacement around 3 days before I was out the door. I tried to show him what had taken me over 35 years to learn, lotta `deer in the headlights` looks. For about a month I would get a phone call now and then asking where a certain main shut off valve was located. They brought in 3 more guys to assist my replacement after 3 weeks of my being gone. My last partner, of 6 years, took this for 6 weeks and jumped to afternoons saying he couldn`t take these guys any longer! I finally learned to not answer the phone anymore when the caller I.D. was my old work place calling.Robert

I had that same situation with a defense contractor in the Middle East that fired me after we had a major disagreement. I was home for a couple of weeks and they began calling me and asking questions. I answered the first question, and decided that was the end; they fired me, after all. Next time they called, I told them that I would be happy to answer their questions at my 'International Consultant' price scale - $1K per hour, minimum charge of two hours. I never heard from them again!

Suo Gan
09-07-2017, 09:29 AM
If the math works out, and it makes sense to you and you are happy that is just great.

Depending on the job you had, getting into the groove of retirement can take a long time. I hate to catch up to an old retired guy on Monday morning, he is doing forty five, headed over to his fsvorite fishing hole, or to grab a cup of coffee, and wonders why the hell I need to go so fast.

Happy for ya! Have a blast!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-07-2017, 09:36 AM
How hard is it to match 6 numbers
I'm ready

iomskp
09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I had the plan to slog along until I was 70, then a little old lady drove her car into me while I was doing 65 mph, sort of brought the retirement forward about 8 years.

shooterg
09-07-2017, 08:19 PM
With a bit of practice, you can get used to waking up at 7:30ish instead of 5ish !