PDA

View Full Version : Redfield scope refurbish- Is it worth it?

paraord
09-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Hey guys,

So while digging around for my bow stabilizer I found a long forgotten Redfield scope. Only markings are on the one side embossed is 5 stars over 4-12. It has an exposed turn style elevation turret and the windage adjustment has a cap that needs to be removed for adjustment. But the coolest thing about this scope is the accu range thingy. It has a duplex reticle with 2 lines high in the reticle and a tombstone with 200-600 yard markings. Pretty neat. It also has a parallax adjustment, which I have no idea how to use like that. Way too many bells and whistles than I am used to. The tube is a little scratched up but nothing unusual for a vintage scope.

So I have no idea if this is a Denver made but it sure is vintage so I am assuming it is. The inside of the objective lens has some cloudiness in it so I was thinking of sending in to Ironsight for a refurb. Not sure on their lead time but Ive heard its extensive. It's worth a call at the least.

So anyone have experience with Ironsight, and does anyone think its worth a hundred bucks getting it tuned up?

pertnear
09-05-2017, 09:24 AM
...So anyone have experience with Ironsight, and does anyone think its worth a hundred bucks getting it tuned up?
I do have some experience with Ironsight & they do good work. Here is my experience. I had an old Win 670 clunker rifle that I restored/rebuilt back to original condition. I wanted to put a vintage scope on the rifle to match. So at a gun show, when I found a Redfield 3x-9x just like I use to see in all the old Outdoor Life Magazines, I bought it for $45. It was in good external shape but "cloudy". So it was off to Ironsight which back then charged $85 with 1 year lead time.

I started bugging them after a year & they said there would be even more delay. It actually took 14+ months before I got it back. It is crystal clear & sharp as any scope I have used. Zooms & tracts well too. They included a 90 day warranty (LOL).

So for about $130 I got a nice used scope with basically no warranty. If it wasn't for the "nostalgia thing" not a good investment in time or money. I could have watched sales/bargains for a year & added about $50 to $70 bucks & got a new scope with a lifetime warranty. Easy math to do. Even so, I like my rifle & scope, but that's me. Would I do it again? Doubtful.

FWIW...

Eldon
09-05-2017, 09:44 AM
A 5 star was a cheap Jap scope. Not a Denver Redfield and not worth bothering with. Put it on Ebay as a "parts or repair" item starting at $25.00. Put the $ toward a Leupold.

flounderman
09-05-2017, 03:33 PM
I never had a problem with a 5 star Redfield. They are good scopes.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2017, 05:41 AM
I had a couple 5 stars back in the day. They were decent compared to what else was available. But they had friction adjustments and they were not multicoated. You can probably find a comparable scope in optical and mechanical quality for less then the cost of shipping and an repair if the repair cost more then 50 bucks. If it were an old illuminator id probably be singing a different song. But I wouldn't personally waste 20 bucks on a 5 star.

swheeler
09-12-2017, 11:30 PM
IIRC Weaver took over Redfield about ten years ago, I sent them the first failed 5 star and Weaver sent me a new Weaver Classic V 2-10 and it is still on my Ruger 300 Win, still holds a zero and not bad glass. When the second failed I threw it in the trash can and bought a new Weaver Classic V in 3-9 this time and it is still good. No more Redfields for me unless it is a Revolution.

osteodoc08
09-13-2017, 12:16 AM
The redfield revolution are built along side the leupolds IIRC. The revenge series, no.

swheeler
09-13-2017, 12:30 AM
The redfield revolution are built along side the leupolds IIRC. The revenge series, no.

Correct and I believe the Revenge are made in the Philipines, Weavers too?

Lloyd Smale
09-13-2017, 07:10 AM
had two revolutions. A 2x7 and a 4x12 and both went back to leupold because they wouldn't hold zero. Got them back and sold them. No more for me. They might be just fine but I lost trust in them.
IIRC Weaver took over Redfield about ten years ago, I sent them the first failed 5 star and Weaver sent me a new Weaver Classic V 2-10 and it is still on my Ruger 300 Win, still holds a zero and not bad glass. When the second failed I threw it in the trash can and bought a new Weaver Classic V in 3-9 this time and it is still good. No more Redfields for me unless it is a Revolution.

Ickisrulz
09-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Correct and I believe the Revenge are made in the Philipines, Weavers too?

At least some of the new Weavers are made in Japan. I have two newer scopes both marked as coming from Japan (Classic K-4 and Rimfire 2.4-7X28).

Eldon
09-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Always fun to come back to these ancient threads and note the OP has vanished.

5 stars are junk, the current Redfields are junk. The DENVER Redfields are good scopes. They can be bought on Ebay for 1/2 the price of a current EQUAL Leupold or Nikon. If you spend < $500 for a NEW scope you're tossing your money away. Better a $500 rifle with a $1000 scope than the reverse !

Put a cheap scope in a scabbard on a horse, drag it thru the Mountains, snow, rain, cold hot and your multi 1000 $ hunt will be ruined.

My go too 300 Win Mag wears a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 illuminated. Cost 50% more than the rifle. Neither has EVER failed. EOS!

3584ELK
09-14-2017, 11:23 AM
IronSight has an old steel tube Weaver K3 of mine. I called for status, and the nice lady told me at least one year. If I need a scope in the meantime, it will be a Leupold.

paraord
09-14-2017, 11:33 AM
I'd hardly call a week and a half ancient and op hasn't disapeared Eldon. Still here. So anyways it'll sit on the shelf. I'll spend the cash on a leupold or decent Nikon when I have the extra cash. I'd rather not have it tied up for a year.

Also nightforce is way outside my cost window. Nice glass but for what I do I hardly see the point over a vx2.

Scorpion8
09-14-2017, 11:56 AM
If you like the scope, then by all means have it refurbished. What other's opinions are shouldn't matter to you unless you're doing something unsafe. I've had a few Redfield Wideview "TV-view" scopes refurbished because I love that style of objective lens and they are great for hunting. It's your money, enjoy it.

Eldon
09-16-2017, 01:02 PM
The FOV in a widefield is less than a conventional scope as it is truncated at the top and bottom.

With a one year lead time to fix a sub standard scope ----- why bother ?

If you MUST have one, you can find it on Ebay. Heck I just bought two 4X Unertls here for BSA prices.

Eldon
09-16-2017, 01:03 PM
site is double posting stuff.