PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on quietly cocking a 336 Marlin?

Tripplebeards
09-04-2017, 10:37 AM
I have a 1970 Marlin 336 in 35 rem. I was trying to figure out how to quietly pull the hammer back without spooking bear off a bait pile from 20-30 yards away. It makes a click and is an early model with no safety button. Any tips?

Dan Cash
09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Pull slightly back on the hammer, pull and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer fully to the rear. Release the trigger then ease the hammer forward untill the sear engages and holds in the full cock notch. You are silently ready to fire.

BK7saum
09-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Yep, that's it.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-04-2017, 01:17 PM
What Dan Cash said

pietro
09-04-2017, 01:25 PM

OR, since you're "on stand", you could just sit there with a cocked rifle......... :D

Tripplebeards
09-04-2017, 04:40 PM

OR, since you're "on stand", you could just sit there with a cocked rifle......... :D

Anyone ever make something that would wedge in between the cocked hammer and receiver that could be removed when ready to fire?

scattershot
09-04-2017, 04:45 PM
As noted, just pull back the hammer while holding the trigger back.when you release the trigger, the hammer will remain cocked, with no noise.

Smoke4320
09-04-2017, 05:04 PM
JUST be SURE to release the trigger first ....then the hammer otherwise you in for a surprise discharge and no bear

too many things
09-04-2017, 05:14 PM
like john wayne do you know what this is ? bear will give up

Greg S
09-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Anyone ever make something that would wedge in between the cocked hammer and receiver that could be removed when ready to fire?

Just get a new one with the BS Safety and oversprung. At least they haven't gone to the Winoko inertia hammer. :roll:

Kevinakaq
09-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Pull slightly back on the hammer, pull and hold the trigger while pulling the hammer fully to the rear. Release the trigger then ease the hammer forward untill the sear engages and holds in the full cock notch. You are silently ready to fire.

Yuppers that is how.

buckshotshoey
09-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Yep. Hold trigger back. I used to do that with a single shot 12 gauge I had. It was a noisy one.

Texas by God
09-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Anyone ever make something that would wedge in between the cocked hammer and receiver that could be removed when ready to fire?It's called a twig haha. I like the silent cock method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
09-05-2017, 10:10 AM
It's called a twig haha. I like the silent cock method.

Or a glove

OverMax
09-05-2017, 10:11 AM
There is no {totally safe} way to cock a rifles hammer other than suggested by its manufacture. Been a constant on going complaint thru the ages about noisy hammers or noisy safety's. I've even encountered a squeeky sling mount. But yaw know what? After a while you give up and accept that firearm quirkyness.
If a bear bolts from the bait pile do to a so called noisy 336's cocking. That hunter hasn't got the right type of bait down to draw the animals full attention.

country gent
09-05-2017, 10:17 AM
A leather strip can be made to keep hammers from hitting the firing pins or primers. I made several of these over the years for pistols with hammer mounted firing pins simply a strip ofthick leather that fit in the slot and a wider end so it didn't go in to deeply. These were used when letting the hammer down. Colt single action older S&Ws and some colts. On a firearm with a frame mounted firing pin a hoe needs to be punched so the leather strip bears around it not on it this way the strip takes the force instead of the firing pin. For people with weak hands or little practice these made lowering the hammer much safer.
As stated above holding the trigger back while cocking may quiet it a lot, But practice this with an empty firearm until your sure of yourself.

pietro
09-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Actually, when I sit on stand with the hammer cocked, I always place the thumb of my trigger hand between the hammer face & the rear of the bolt/firing pin.

The thumb comes out naturally when the rifle is raised for the shot.

Eldon
09-05-2017, 10:44 AM
amazing stuff on this site. learned that trick at 12. hard to believe anyone who owns a hammer gun didn't know. he's sitting way to close and way to low from the bait.

buckshotshoey
09-05-2017, 02:12 PM
It might have been all in my head about how loud it was. Your senses are very accute when game gets close. It might not be as loud as you think. Give someone your rifle. Walk 30 feet away, and have them cock it. I'll bet you won't hear much. If you can't hear it at 30 feet, a bear prob won't hear it at 30 yards. It worth the experiment to give it a try.

Have you actually spooked game with it? Or are THINKING it might spook them? You probably have less of a problem then you think you do.

Kestrel4k
09-05-2017, 04:20 PM
It might have been all in my head about how loud it was. Your senses are very accute when game gets close. It might not be as loud as you think. Give someone your rifle. Walk 30 feet away, and have them cock it. I'll bet you won't hear much. If you can't hear it at 30 feet, a bear prob won't hear it at 30 yards. It worth the experiment to give it a try.[...]
On the other hand, silently creep through a forest while /knowing/ that people are out there looking to kill you.
A hammer cocking at 30 feet may then sound like the Hammer of Doom, lol. :)

Edit: But seriously though; a long time ago, an old deer hunter explained to me that it wasn't just any noise that gives you away to game animals - the problem was artificial sounds, particularly metallic sounds (which don't really occur in nature).

rking22
09-05-2017, 07:14 PM
30 or so years ago I did an experiment along these lines. I had stalked a deer (I'll come back to that) for quite a while. Area was old strip mine, so very thick. Was damp and foggy, and I was much better at moving quietly than now. I was peeking thru the honeysuckle on the side of a large poplar tree and spied my quary, a doe. At that time TN was buck only for ML season. I decided to see how the does would react to cocking my Senaca. Does was so close I could have poked her rear with a broom! When I cocked the hammer, letting it click but holding the trigger to keep it muted, she swiveled her ears but stayed put. When I pulled the trigger to set she looked back and bolted! The ignored click we dull and muted, the other was not loud but metallic and more out of place in nature. Back to that deer, there were 3 , supprize! But no bucks, lowered back to half cock and had a good laugh at my assumption ! Somehow I can't figure how we ever got by without decockers and multiple safety devices ! ( purple font there).

Texas by God
09-06-2017, 09:05 AM
I killed a nice 8 point at 40 feet away. He was staring at me with his ears up. I did the silent cock on my .54 Plains pistol and raised it &shot in one motion. He sat down & fell over. He most definitely would have heard the click had I not.

izzyjoe
09-09-2017, 01:00 AM
The thing to do is practice this method till it is second nature, I have harvested many deer doing this, and do it with realizing I did it. And on crossbolt safety's you can place your finger tips on both sides and slowly remove it from safe. I knew and old gentleman that would take his shotgun off safety once he reached his hunting spot, but that would make me nervous!

Thin Man
09-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Yup, deer hate metallic sounds. A few years ago I was on my deer hunting hillside before first light. Had been there about half an hour with an unloaded rifle (that's the rules before first light, and I don't need to pay a ticket if it can be avoided!). With first light showing I decided to load the rifle. The rifle was a Mauser, top loader into the enclosed magazine. When I pushed the first cartridge into the magazine well it engaged with an audible metallic "snap." Immediately with that sound I heard "SNORT" from about 60-70 yards straight in front of me. Never did see that deer all morning, or any other for that matter. Bah, humbug. Foiled again.

kycrawler
09-09-2017, 11:49 PM
I has a buck at 40 yards last year took off at a dead run when I clicked the safety oFF of a ruger 77

buckshotshoey
09-10-2017, 08:30 AM
I has a buck at 40 yards last year took off at a dead run when I clicked the safety oFF of a ruger 77

I'd be getting that one worked on. Thats pretty extreme.

jrmartin1964
09-10-2017, 11:02 AM

I've been using this method for more than 40 years. As others have already said, practice with an empty weapon until it becomes second nature.