PDA

View Full Version : Alox or 45-45-10 on blued metal to prevent rust?

jaysouth
09-04-2017, 01:57 AM
I have used JPW to coat knives and tools to prevent rust.

Would alox or 45-45-10 be better to prevent rust on blued firearms?

Degrease with alcohol
rub in
wipe off excess and polish with cloth?

Thanks

Wolfer
09-04-2017, 04:02 PM
I don't know but JPW will be hard to beat.

Geezer in NH
09-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Rig is even better IMHO

Outpost75
09-04-2017, 07:49 PM
The calcium soap used in Alox is similar to the base material in Ziebart automotive undercoating.

zubrato
09-04-2017, 08:53 PM
On the discussion of rust preventative measures it depends on what you use it for, how long you're expecting to store the item, and conditions of storage.

Not a huge fan of alox anything, although I used it a lot when I started casting and shooting. If the gun is worth anything, then I'd consider the stock trashed too. Good luck washing alox fingerprints out of your shirt, let alone a walnut stock.

As long as the storage is less than 6 months to a year in reasonable condition, I'd reccomend something like wiping down the steel with mineral oil or LPS wipes every 2-3 months just to check on the status of the firearm.

Any longer than 1 year my personal recommendation is Howard's feeding wax and you can coat the entire rifle with it, without affecting the collectibility of the firearm/stock patina, many k98k collectors/weirdos agree.

If the conditions are really bad you may just opt to use something like Howard's feeding wax if you intend to use it occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk