PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Maine!

380AUTO
09-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Ladies and gentlemen I'm a young non commissioned officer in the U.S. Army. I recently came down on orders to be a recruiter for Uncle Sam and got assigned to a Armed forces career center completely opposite of home (I'm from California) But as the title says I'm going to the twin cities of Auburn/Lewiston area in the state of Maine. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the state has to offer I'm huge into fishing/hunting. Never been there but it looks beautiful in pictures. Any Mainer's on this forum?

ogre
09-03-2017, 02:50 PM
I lived in Kittery for two years while my submarine was in overhaul. I never had too much time off but I thoroughly enjoyed living there. I remember that the lobsters and steamers seamed dirt cheap. I found the winters to be a trifle cold.

opos
09-03-2017, 03:28 PM
I spent a great deal of time in Kennebunkport on business a number of years ago...it's a great area and a great little harbor and I think you can probably jump a party boat out of there if I recall...if you have your Wife with you there is a wonderful B and B (now..it was a private residnece when I was there) called the Maine Stay Inn in Kennebunk...If you go there take a walk around the "widows walk" on top...lots of national registry homes in that area.

https://youtu.be/T4cg2tH_h2g

thegatman
09-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Enjoy Maine. Vacationed there three years. Great state. Cabelas an LL Bean. Lobster rolls the best.

Taylor
09-03-2017, 04:01 PM
See next summer for lobster Fest.

Wayne Smith
09-03-2017, 04:13 PM
If I remember right Auburn/Lewiston is more central than down East. The coast of Maine is down East - south of the rest of the state. You will be competing with a couple of colleges - Auburn being one. As you will be there for a couple years get ready for cold weather (ever do winter mountian climbing in California?) and lots of snow. Also invest in bug spray - you will need it spring to first freeze. Figure Bear/Moose hunting opportunities that can be developed. I was last in the area 20+ years ago but imagine the Kittery Trading Post second floor is still the place to shop.

gpidaho
09-03-2017, 04:25 PM
So good to be young new opportunities on the way. I believe you'll love the outdoor fun aspects of the state. Enjoy it all, even the many feet of snow. Thank you for your service! Gp

Geezer in NH
09-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Lewiston/Auburn the only place they found close to Mogadishu for the Somalia refugee's during the Clinton era.

The first place I ever saw Bedbug spray advertised on a hardware stores outside sign.

Not dissing ME as wife and my family's are from ME but the ones living in Lewiston were trash of the highest order.

To the east you will find great places and the most beautiful coastline ever.

Snow amounts not bad that far south in ME.

jonp
09-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Been there a bunch. Geezer is right and pay attention to that. On the upside there is a lot of Maine and it is a great place. There are still places out in the sticks that are right out of 1920 if you find them. I hauled much lumber, peat moss and potatoes out of there. Always liked Maine and I regularly check WalMart's website to see if their DC in Lewiston Auburn is hiring. I would love to get back up that direction.

Make sure you hunt black bear while there.

380AUTO
09-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Well good place or not I have no other choice but to go lol. I'm definitely going to see if I can catch some fresh lobster myself

hwilliam01
09-03-2017, 08:43 PM
380Auto,

You Sir, are in luck! It is a great state...I was born and brought up here and moved here after I retired early. We have the largest bear population in the lower 48 states. You really need a guide to hunt them over baited stands or with hounds. Catching your own lobster is not allowed as you have to be licensed and if a lobsterman catches you...well lets say they guard it very very well. However on the plus side of lobster there really is no need to catch them yourself as they are generally pretty plentiful and not very expensive. Current smack price is about $5.99 per pound the local grocery stress will cook them for you while you shop for about a buck. McDonald's also sells lobster rolls which are pretty good for $8.99 each. They usually stop doing that in the winter. You will be about 20 miles from me. Please contact me and I would be very happy to get you acclimated as to local laws customs and gun ranges. If you PM me, I will give you contact info. Winters are not that bad...yes it is cold and we get about 80 to 90 inches of snow a season, but they start on it as soon as the first flake is seen and don't stop until it is over, so really not that big of a deal. As we say here...we have nine months of winter and three months of rather rough sledding. Serious...would love to help!

Bill

runfiverun
09-03-2017, 09:17 PM
I think with your MOS your gonna like the place unless you got a quota to meet.

richhodg66
09-03-2017, 09:32 PM
I successfully avoided recruiting like the plague. Good luck in it.

My sum total of experience in Maine was it was the first place in CONUS we landed when I came back from Desert Storm. Not getting off the plane wasn't an option, they must have had every high school band and half the population f the state there. Great, patriotic folks, it was quite moving. We were one of the first units back, March 18th 1191, so that hadn't had a lot of time to prepare for that. I bet future units got treated even better.

afish4570
09-03-2017, 11:48 PM
A must see is the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine. 1st exit off I 95 as you enter south Me. All sorts of sportsman supplies, archery,all guns and reloading supplies,camping, kayak, canoe, back pack, camping etc....... Mardens is a close out chain with lots of stores all over Me. Each store has different stuff....nuts, bolt , screws, tools,clothing and great prices...stop at several to learn how to shop. Best of luck on your assignment. afish4570

Geezer in NH
09-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Just up 95 a bit is James D Julia and Poulin Auction Houses you want to go to one of the auctions to preview you will see history and the best firearms around.

lightman
09-04-2017, 09:25 AM
If you are into Craft Beer, Maine has some great Breweries! Thank You for your service. I hope you enjoy this assignment.

Wayne Smith
09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Well good place or not I have no other choice but to go lol. I'm definitely going to see if I can catch some fresh lobster myself

Nope, as stated you can't do that. Besides, lobster is a cold water creature up north. You probably are thinking of diving for warm water lobster. Unless you really like cold water, forget it.

sundog
09-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Climb Mount Katahdin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin) and fish Moosehead Lake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moosehead_Lake).

Lived in Belgrade Lakes on Great Pond many years ago. Great place!

380AUTO
09-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Thank you everyone for all the responses, I'll share my experiences along the way. And I'll also try to visit your recommendations as far as places to go

30calflash
09-04-2017, 07:24 PM
I've traveled some there over the last 8 years, now have several friends there. Great place to be if you're into the outdoors, just about everything can be done there. All seasons, no worries about crowding unless near the coast summertime. A half hour from most metro areas and you could probably get lost without trying hard.

It's the kind of place when you ask a local a question they'll stop and give you not just an answer, but where to stop, better directions and in general go out of their way. Great bunch of folks there.

You should enjoy it much.

bruce drake
09-04-2017, 08:08 PM
I grew up about an hour further north of Lewiston ME. You are going to a great state but outside of a few towns and cities, you are going to be dealing with a rural population. Be prepared for plenty of road miles talking to recruit families even if you get assigned to a "urban" high school. Case in point, my High school in Dover-Foxcroft ME, actually drew kids from 4 towns and 3 villages and probably a bunch of unincorporated regions as well...

Finster101
09-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Good luck to you. Hope your cold weather gear is in order!

lunicy
09-04-2017, 09:07 PM
I spent a great deal of time in Kennebunkport on business a number of years ago...it's a great area and a great little harbor and I think you can probably jump a party boat out of there if I recall...if you have your Wife with you there is a wonderful B and B (now..it was a private residnece when I was there) called the Maine Stay Inn in Kennebunk...If you go there take a walk around the "widows walk" on top...lots of national registry homes in that area.

I have family in Kennebunk... Popular family. What was your business, if you don't mind me asking?

RayinNH
09-05-2017, 03:45 PM
If I remember right Auburn/Lewiston is more central than down East. The coast of Maine is down East - south of the rest of the state. You will be competing with a couple of colleges - Auburn being one. As you will be there for a couple years get ready for cold weather (ever do winter mountian climbing in California?) and lots of snow. Also invest in bug spray - you will need it spring to first freeze. Figure Bear/Moose hunting opportunities that can be developed. I was last in the area 20+ years ago but imagine the Kittery Trading Post second floor is still the place to shop.

Used to be Wayne. Yeah they have plenty of stuff but no deals to be found. I'm a half hour away from them. I used to go almost weekly to find goodies. Now I go maybe three times a year and that's just so that I can go to Bob's Clam Hut next door.

Geezer in NH
09-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Bob's used to be good now overpriced and skimpy to me. Even Newik's is better. Better yet Cornish NH on rte. 25 Bay haven lobster.

Whatever keep out of the Weathervane across the street from KTP

square butte
09-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Oh how I wish Bay Haven was in Cornish, NH. I know it was just a slip of the finger - It is in Cornish, ME. Just down the road a piece from Freedom, NH

18Bravo
09-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Lived in Brunswick for a few years back in the early 60's. I will always have a very warm spot in my heart for Maine. Have fun and enjoy the great outdoors the way it was meant to be.

KMac
09-05-2017, 07:02 PM
I am a lifetime Texan, but there were always 2 states that I really wanted to see, Alaska and Maine.
Luckily I have got to go to Alaska a few times with another trip coming up in November. And Alaska is everything I
was hoping it was. Maine is the top of my bucket list. Enjoy your time there and see all of it and do lots of fishing and hunting.

opos
09-06-2017, 08:56 AM
I have family in Kennebunk... Popular family. What was your business, if you don't mind me asking?

Back a long time ago (about mid 70's) there was a Morning Star Plastics injection molder on the West side of the highway (Morningstar owned Data Packaging Corp out of Cambridge, Mass and had a manufacturing facility in Phoenix called Morningstar Plastics..as was the one in Kennebunk)...can't recall some names but we stayed in a motel on the beach (old time place) owned by a man named John Thompson as I recall ...had caverns in the basement ...really strange place...his Daugher Nancy Thompson owned he Maine Stay and as I understand it when she sold it it became quite a well know bed and breakfast...beautiful old home with a big widow's walk on the roof where the old time wives could pace around the "walkway" and watch for their sea captains return from the ocean.I got no affiliation at all...just thought the whole area was terrific.

Geezer in NH
09-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Oh how I wish Bay Haven was in Cornish, NH. I know it was just a slip of the finger - It is in Cornish, ME. Just down the road a piece from Freedom, NHGreat catch Cornish ME, Thanks :drinks: had lunch there last Friday in fact!!

Just about an hour from my house. Way less when the flatlanders a truly gone!

Just Duke
09-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Concealed carry no permit
You can't hunt or go into the field on Sundays with a gun.
Lobster shacks are really cheap.
Taxes are nuts so high on homes.
Not as many deer as most think there would be down south
Food is pricey
The Nor-Easter runs from Portland to Boston
The Car hauling train runs from Boston to Florida free eats
Radon levels are through the ceiling in Rocky Granite areas. Less so when you get out to the boggy areas.
Ice fishing is great. Join ME's "Ice Shanty" forum
You can now ride ATV's and UTV's on the old snowmobile trails now. 1000's of miles of trails.
Deer flies will eat you alive spring and fall.
No chiggers but lot's of ticks.

Just Duke
09-07-2017, 12:24 AM
Lewiston/Auburn the only place they found close to Mogadishu for the Somalia refugee's during the Clinton era.

The first place I ever saw Bedbug spray advertised on a hardware stores outside sign.

Not dissing ME as wife and my family's are from ME but the ones living in Lewiston were trash of the highest order.

To the east you will find great places and the most beautiful coastline ever.

Snow amounts not bad that far south in ME.

Portland received 5000 also

Geezer in NH
09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Deer flies will eat you alive spring and fall.
No chiggers but lot's of ticks. You forgot about the black flies, for 3 weeks they are brutal then the deer flies arrive.