PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about those Numrich barrels for the Rolling Blocks

brstevns
09-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Those 45-70 and 444 marlin barrels once put out by Numrich for the Remington rolling blocks. Were they made to fit the Model #5 7mm Rolling blocks? Has anyone tried one ?
Thinking about rebarreling a shot out 7mm that I have.

marlinman93
09-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Yes, I purchased one in .45-70 and sent it back for a refund. The hole at one end was centered, but the other end was way off center! Like 3/16" off center! They asked if I wanted a replacement, and I declined. Even if the next one was centered, I'd doubt the quality would be acceptable.

Jackpine
09-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I recently acquired a rolling block with a heavy octagon barrel, which on which the only markings were the Numrich stamp. I bought it from a fellow who had inherited from his uncle, and had been told by someone that it was a 45-70. Based on the story from the current owner, I guessed the barrel had been put on at least 30 years ago and based on the dimensions at each end, it was obviously not a 45-70, The reason I was interest in it was because it was wearing very nice old Fecker scope, so I took a chance an bought it. After slugging the barrel and casting the chamber, I figured out that it was a 444.

As I mentioned, I really only wanted the scope and don't really know what I would use if for in this caliber, but decided I should test it, just to see how it shot. Bore appeared good, and was not off center on either end!!! Only had 20 pieces of brass, so loaded some 240 grain pistol bullets with a couple of starter loads of 2400 and Unique. Took about 5 rounds to get it center on target at 100 yards. First couple of rounds were very close to touching--looks good--then out by 4 inches, then high. Disappointed! Same with second powder loading. Disappointed again!! When I had two rounds left, it finally dawned on me to check the mounting and I discovered that the front mounting screw was very loose. Dumb, dumb, stupid me!!!!

I have loaded up my brass again and hope to get out this coming week, if the weather cooperates and will give a report.

Jackpine

bob208
09-03-2017, 05:11 PM
I bought one maybe 30 years ago. it is on a smokeless action which would be a number 5. it is marked buffalo hunter. it is in .45-70. 65 gr. 1f through a 24" drop tube one hard card and one grease cookie. 500 gr. lyman bullet. I won every match I entered with it.

bcp
09-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Many years ago, I had a gunsmith order one for me for a 7mm Rolling Block. He sent it back--said it was threaded wrong. He didn't tell me the details.

Bruce

ascast
09-03-2017, 10:42 PM
yes, a .45 it had a groove dia about 0.002" bigger on one end. put that end in the back, it was OK sold it off
had a '94 30-30 barrel from them, grove was about .314. Jacketed bullets would hardly contact rifling sent it back

Lostinidaho
09-03-2017, 11:35 PM
I have wondered too. I have two #5 actions/receivers in good shape. Just too many projects. I heard that with Remington actions the barrel threads start in different places on each action. Which would make putting on a new barrel more and just screwing on new barrel to get all to line up.

Wheelwaits
09-04-2017, 08:45 PM
We got some muzzle loading barrel blanks from them many years ago, they ran off center ... They were not known for precision barrels.

Parson
09-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Mine slugged .452, ok if you wanted to shoot pistol bullets

marlinman93
09-05-2017, 10:14 AM
I have wondered too. I have two #5 actions/receivers in good shape. Just too many projects. I heard that with Remington actions the barrel threads start in different places on each action. Which would make putting on a new barrel more and just screwing on new barrel to get all to line up.

That's not unusual with numerous gun makers. Old Winchesters were indexed, and many will turn up correctly. But even they can occasionally need an adjustment, and that can lead to big issues! Once the barrel doesn't index, you make a slight cut to allow it to, and then headspace is wrong, so you ream it again.

brstevns
09-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Thought about looking for one of the 444 rem barrels.

KCSO
09-05-2017, 09:09 PM
The good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. I have installed several on different rolling blocks and have had to send some back for defects. The key is inspecting the barrel before installation. I have made more than one very accurate gun with Numerich barrels. I have also got them bent or out of round and had to return them.

brstevns
09-05-2017, 10:50 PM
The good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. I have installed several on different rolling blocks and have had to send some back for defects. The key is inspecting the barrel before installation. I have made more than one very accurate gun with Numerich barrels. I have also got them bent or out of round and had to return them.

Are they still making them for the Rem. rb in 444 rem ?

flint45
09-07-2017, 10:35 AM
I have a smokeless action with a Numrich barrel on it shoots very well it is .45-70 slugs .457 but has a very long throat and I seat boolits out to meat the lands then it shoots well ,won some buffalo matches with that rifle.

Eldon
09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
JES will rebore your 7mm RB bbl to 8 or 9 or 9.3 x57. Why not do that ?

marlinman93
09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
I just looked at Numrich's site and they don't list those barrels anymore. So you'll have to find one laying around somewhere.

brstevns
09-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Looking for a larger bore, 444 rem would have been perfect.

KenT7021
09-10-2017, 07:13 PM
I bought one of the Numrich rolling block .45-70 kits years ago.I fitted it to No.1 action.I had short headspace and didn't have a chamber reamer so I set it aside for a few years.I finally bought a reamer and discovered the reamer pilot wouldn't fit in the bore.I made a lead lap and was going to try lapping the bore out a bit.I discovered the bore had tight and loose spots and gave up on it.I buy a lot of gun parts from Numrich but I tend to avoid Numrich made barrels.

marlinman93
09-18-2017, 01:15 PM
I've avoided buying anything from Numrich, unless someone else buys the parts first, and tells me they're good! I've had so many crummy parts, or wrong parts, or broken parts sent to me from Numrich, that it's just too much hassle. I ordered a pawl for a SAA Colt one time, and it came without the flat spring. I called and told them about it, and asked for a replacement. They wouldn't send one until I sent the bad part back. Wouldn't even send me the tiny flat spring! Then after a couple weeks I finally got the 2nd part, and a note telling me they'd add the shipping cost to the next order I made! Sent them a nasty email on that one, but never heard anything back.
I did get a lot of new leftover Remington stock Rolling Block parts recently. But I knew they were Rem. and not Numrich made, so my only concern was if I'd get what I ordered correctly. But it all went well, and the parts were perfect.

Buckshot
09-20-2017, 01:48 AM
...............The original add (and for sometime afterwards) had barrels of 45-70 and 444 Marlin threaded and set up for the original #1 military action. The 45-70 in original BP loads, or smokless equivalent were a fine combination. Those fitting a .444 Marlin barrel and loading book loads for the same were not. A testament to the designed in strength of the RB action used with the simple steels of the day. I would not put my personal head close to an original Rem RB #1 action with a .444 Marlin barrel screwed into it.

For the 45-70 when those adds first came out there was no ammo offered commercially for the 45-70 that was not safe in TD Springfields, so the RB was amply strong for any factory round. I can offer no explanation as to why they would have offered barrels chambered for the .444 Marlin, other then it was a less litigiousness time, and if you blew your fingers off, it was on you.

............Buckshot

marlinman93
09-20-2017, 11:14 AM
A 444 Marlin is indeed too hot in factory loads. But if it was short chambered to not allow a factory load to chamber, the caliber is a nice one for mild cast hand loads. Same thing I've done with .40-70SS using .405 Win. reamer to chamber old guns. Simply chamber them .10" short, and it wont allow a factory .405 Win., but makes a chamber that's extremely easy to make brass for!

brstevns
09-21-2017, 11:31 AM
...............The original add (and for sometime afterwards) had barrels of 45-70 and 444 Marlin threaded and set up for the original #1 military action. The 45-70 in original BP loads, or smokless equivalent were a fine combination. Those fitting a .444 Marlin barrel and loading book loads for the same were not. A testament to the designed in strength of the RB action used with the simple steels of the day. I would not put my personal head close to an original Rem RB #1 action with a .444 Marlin barrel screwed into it.

For the 45-70 when those adds first came out there was no ammo offered commercially for the 45-70 that was not safe in TD Springfields, so the RB was amply strong for any factory round. I can offer no explanation as to why they would have offered barrels chambered for the .444 Marlin, other then it was a less litigiousness time, and if you blew your fingers off, it was on you.

............Buckshot

Thought the 7mm were the no 5 rem. rb ?

marlinman93
09-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Thought the 7mm were the no 5 rem. rb ?

The 7mm was on the #5 smokeless action. But I saw no reference to a 7mm in Buckshot's reply????
The Numrich barrels were threaded for the smaller thread size of the BP #1 action. They would not fit on a #5 smokeless action that has a larger thread diameter, and heavier receiver ring.

Geezer in NH
09-23-2017, 09:31 PM
NA barrels would not be my first choice. They were a cheap supply for those who did not want to spend the money to have a good barrel fitted. Call it a do it yourself special not needing a lathe or experience to use on.

Kinda like bolting a new barrel on a 10-22. If you know lefty loosy righty tighty you too can be a gunsmichd. Join the schoolof Wiley Coyote Gun Smithing or Angry Beaver gun works.

brstevns
09-24-2017, 10:03 AM
(gunsmiths) that rebarrel the RB any suggestions ?

marlinman93
09-25-2017, 09:35 AM
(gunsmiths) that rebarrel the RB any suggestions ?

Back towards you. (Michigan) Steve Durren is tough to beat for quality, and a fair price.

http://www.johnsonsguns.com/

John Taylor
09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Many years back I had a Numrich barrel on a roller. The bore was small for a 45-70, about .455". They also sold a chamber reamer to fit their barrels and I still have one. Pilot is to small for other makes of barrels, also the throat is small. I have four rollers in the shop now that are getting new barrels.

izzyjoe
10-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Not a RB barrel, but 10yrs ago I purchased a few 22rf barrels, well low and behold they were bored of center, and too top that off they were .225 bore. A 22 bullet would slide in and barely engrave the bullet, but they did make very good conversation pieces!

Drm50
10-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Those 45-70 and 444 marlin barrels once put out by Numrich for the Remington rolling blocks. Were they made to fit the Model #5 7mm Rolling blocks? Has anyone tried one ?
Thinking about rebarreling a shot out 7mm that I have.
Back in 80s I bought a 7x57mm RB and a Numerich Buffalo Kit from a guy who never got around
to putting it together. As far as I remember barrel fit ok, but had some extractor issues. Took
to Smith and he took care of it. The one thing that was a pain, the "radius" of the arc the breech
block and hammer in relation to chamber just allowed you to insert a 45/70 with a little manipulation. You couldn't poke it straight in. Other than that gun was a good shooter. Even
though it was smokeless action I only shot mild loads of IMR-3031/ cast bollits.

marlinman93
10-10-2017, 12:04 PM
The one thing that was a pain, the "radius" of the arc the breech
block and hammer in relation to chamber just allowed you to insert a 45/70 with a little manipulation. You couldn't poke it straight in.

That scenario is an issue with some military hammers, and can be easily reworked. My original Rolling Block Sporter is in .44-77SBN (a much larger cartridge than .45-70) and it drops right in with no issue. I always rework military hammers to sporting configuration on any I use in project builds.

Drm50
10-10-2017, 01:49 PM
That scenario is an issue with some military hammers, and can be easily reworked. My original Rolling Block Sporter is in .44-77SBN (a much larger cartridge than .45-70) and it drops right in with no issue. I always rework military hammers to sporting configuration on any I use in project builds.

I was going to contour hammer but had the original barrel , fore arm and parts and didn't want to
mess it up from original. Ended up trading it off as was without 7mm stuff.

marlinman93
10-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Since most of the smokeless military Rolling Blocks don't have as much value in original as they have sporterized, I have never worried about changing them. But I never worry about that with most old military Rollers, unless it was a special one like a NY State, or similar. All the Egyptian, Spanish, SA, or Swede Rollers are pretty cheap, and not enough collector value to cause me concern in altering them.
I pick up old military Rollers complete for less than I can buy their actions. Always below $300 complete. I've got a beauty sitting in my gun room now that I gave $200 for at a pawn shop, but it's so nice, with an excellent .43 bore that I'm having 2nd thoughts on tearing it apart! It may end up being a gift to my son in law so I don't get tempted!

Drm50
10-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Since most of the smokeless military Rolling Blocks don't have as much value in original as they have sporterized, I have never worried about changing them. But I never worry about that with most old military Rollers, unless it was a special one like a NY State, or similar. All the Egyptian, Spanish, SA, or Swede Rollers are pretty cheap, and not enough collector value to cause me concern in altering them.
I pick up old military Rollers complete for less than I can buy their actions. Always below $300 complete. I've got a beauty sitting in my gun room now that I gave $200 for at a pawn shop, but it's so nice, with an excellent .43 bore that I'm having 2nd thoughts on tearing it apart! It may end up being a gift to my son in law so I don't get tempted!

I am not a RB expert, but I think I screwed up on last one I had. It was a carbine in 30/40 and
reciever was nickeled. Reciever was stamped with Navel type Anchor & Rope. No govt markings.
Best guess it was from a Navel military acad. - not govt. related. Sold it way to cheap it was
super clean. Most I run across is 43Span.

marlinman93
10-11-2017, 12:32 AM
I am not a RB expert, but I think I screwed up on last one I had. It was a carbine in 30/40 and
reciever was nickeled. Reciever was stamped with Navel type Anchor & Rope. No govt markings.
Best guess it was from a Navel military acad. - not govt. related. Sold it way to cheap it was
super clean. Most I run across is 43Span.

Yeah, sounds like it might have been a special one! I also find more .43 Spanish, or .43 Mauser chambered Rollers than any others. I just sent off a .43 Spanish this morning to a friend for a project he wants to build. It had a great bore, and was very complete. I actually bought the military rear sight back before I sent it to him so I could install it on the nice one I'm keeping. The rear sight was the only thing missing on the keeper, and if I give it away I wanted it 100%.

william l evans
01-14-2018, 08:53 AM
I have a #5 RB 1902 (was 7MM) rebarrelled with a badger 32 inch heavy octagon. I load trapdoor level rounds. Question, can I go up to Marlin and 1886 pressure loads? The action is nice and tight.

marlinman93
01-14-2018, 02:23 PM
I have a #5 RB 1902 (was 7MM) rebarrelled with a badger 32 inch heavy octagon. I load trapdoor level rounds. Question, can I go up to Marlin and 1886 pressure loads? The action is nice and tight.
I wouldn't. Regardless of the action being a smokeless, with a great Badger barrel. I'd still limit pressures to 25,000. It will kill game just as well, and the gun will last forever. And it will also shoot just as far!

PapaG
01-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Bought the set, barrel, stock and forend and put it on a smokeless frame from a 7mm. Chambered deep so you had to file the end of the barrel to fit. Put a Lyman receiver and a 17 front on it. Load, 5 grains DuPont bulk shotgun smokeless. 55 grains ffg, card wad and seat the 457124 sized to .458 in the rifling with a home made breech seater. Held near an inch at a hundred all day long and cleaned up with two wet and two dry patches. Shot the same case all season long. Best ever, 4 5/16 at 200. Guess I got one of the good ones. Took 96 clicks to go from 100 to 200. Wish I still had it.

EDG
01-27-2018, 02:01 AM
Keep in mind with any rolling block that all of the working parts are right in front of your face. If anything fails you will most likely be hurt.
A friend of mine had a pierced primer. The gas leak flowed back around the firing pin and blew the hammer back to full cock.
The unlocked breech block blew open leaving the fired case hanging out of the chamber.